absolute softest and warmest synth in existence?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is my definition of Warm :)
It starts as a bass sound melody and morphs into a Edm bass lead sound.
http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/78546515/file.html

deastman wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
mcnoone wrote:I think all synths are capable of a warm sound here, and a cold sound there, and many other kinds of tones
i guess, for me (and in the most basic of senses), any sound becomes warm with the right amount of low-pass

best example that comes to mind is pretty much anything off of 'boards of canada - music has the right to children'.. that album warms me up better than any open fire or chicken soup ever could
But see, that's just the thing... this is all so subjective.

For me, Music Has the Right to Children was anything but "warm". I think of it as desolate, melancholy, cold Autumn winds, a barren plain, nostalgic in a sorrowfully, achingly longing sort of way.
i was more referring to the sound design and not the overall feel of the album, which i agree has a very barren, dystopian thing going on. what you write is descriptive of the work in it's totality; it's composition, and maybe concept and design and not something that would be relevant to how one might judge a synth or it's many diverse presets out of context (i.e in the sense of what the o.p is asking)

on a sound by sound basis, i find mhtrtc to be very warm. very few sharp edges and that tape-reel wobble thang really helps. aside from the non-filtered beats, nothing really jumps out of the frequency spectrum to pull focus. would love to hear it without those beats

AstralExistence wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:that's warm i would say. but, there's just a bit of digitalness to it on the lower registered sounds and a bit of noise in the modulation. imo. its warm yes, but it sounds just a 'bit' digital. still a pretty pad though. what synth is that?

do you think that this sounds warm?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t6k23a
The Distortion i added with Saturation, noise is also part of the pad from the Noise Modulator. The plugin is a secret, 5$ by Paypal gift and i'll tell you...LOL.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Some of us actually remember that the most common pejorative description of all those now-vintage synths mooted today as 'organic' and 'warm' was that they were cold and sterile. I recommend the OP gets a nice oboe or clarinet instead.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Sendy wrote:Language has a problem with describing sound as it's a very intimate and personal experience (which is, of course, why we are attracted to it so much), but I think words like "warm" and "glassy" are pretty easy to define and have a consensus on.

Warmth denotes a lack of harshness, no harsh transients, and not a lot of high end. If there is high end, it's very measured (think of the profile of brown(ian) noise). If there are transients (in the case of, say, a warm drum loop) they are somewhat blurred and smooth, like hot tape.

Similarly glassy brings to mind certain spectra, with a clear but not harsh high end consisting of unusually wide spacing between partials or partial clusters. In FM these sounds can be made with high C:M ratios, whilst middling ratios give the sound of wood, and inbetween the two is ceramic. Glassy also suggests a medium attack and release, like a wine glass.
Maybe other words for glassy might be shimmering and smooth, basically a shiny surface, whereas warm implies more of a body. Glassy is blue, warm is brown 8)

Tronam wrote:It's really difficult to assign words to sound in a universal way because it's so subjective, but when people use the term "warm" to describe synthesizers this is the kind of timbre that first comes to mind:
Soft Pad

Could this be considered warm?

for sure.

Personally find these threads to so subjective that they can only turn into the ubiquitous KVR throw every synth at the OP. Especially when subjective terms that no one agrees on start going back and forth. And then there's the synth is good, don't want to deal with company effect also. (One I know well since there certain companies/sound designers or users of PACE I want nothing to do with either).

I'll throw another at you that I don't think has been mentioned.
Tone2-Gladiator2, which I find warmer than their other products. Does a nice D50 type of glassy too.

Or something else you can do is get NI's Reaktor since there are so many in the user libraries and you can even make one to your own liking.
AAS;Camel Audio;Korg;Modartt;Native Instruments;Roland;Sonar;Steinberg;U-he;Yamaha

I like to put FabFIlter Saturn after synths to saturate/warm them up. But pressed for a synth, SQ8L.
Or an oboe. I do like an oboe to warm it up.
..what goes around comes around..

AstralExistence wrote:what synth is that?
It's actually Diva and i've done it in less then 2 minutes...Diva only...i can do anything i want with it and i know i can make it as warm as the sun if i took the time.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

I think warm vs cold might also have to do with equalizing. Warm sounds tend to have more bottom for instance.

BasariStudios wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:what synth is that?
It's actually Diva and i've done it in less then 2 minutes...Diva only...i can do anything i want with it and i know i can make it as warm as the sun if i took the time.
yeah because i could hear the er warmness :dog: it was definitely there but there was something about the pad that seemed very basic and a bit amateur or better as you described '2 minute' sound design. but as far as the pad being warm, yes it was. just a bit unwanted noise that made it sound digital with the bass layer and unneeded lfo modulation.

AstralExistence wrote:
Tronam wrote:It's really difficult to assign words to sound in a universal way because it's so subjective, but when people use the term "warm" to describe synthesizers this is the kind of timbre that first comes to mind:
Soft Pad

Could this be considered warm?

for sure.
Then I guess the moral of the story is if a single instance of Reason's 14 year old Subtractor can sound "warm" then anything can?
Last edited by Tronam on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

im trying out dcam synthsquad these synths truly sound very warm analog and very very soft. really love the simplicity of the transmod modualtion system. and tons of fx options, and lastly how each little synth is small one page interface that's quick to work with and the presets though not as many as other synths make up for quantity with quality.
so dcam is another thing im considering as well as omnisphere and of course diva. but theirs no demo and its not cheap at all. i also really like lush 101.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

If you want the most naturally warm vibey voodoo machine, then SQ8L bests any other virtual synth I've used thus far and is the one thing I miss most as an OSX muso. I'm still not sure how Mr. Kullmann pulled off that magic trick. I wouldn't call it glassy though. The first synth I can remember which fit that description was Native-Instruments' FM7. That synth is able to produce such a pristine, "glassy" digital sound that could somehow be both thin and warm simultaneously. Based on your examples though, I think it's probably virtual analog "warmth" that appeals to you most and pretty much any of them will suffice. The trick is finding their filter's sweet spot and exploiting it.

Return to “Instruments”