"We'll take your Bloody Heart and Put it in a Box"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EDIT: thread title changed because almost no one seems to know what 80s hardcore was, and there might be some who are more interested in the delicate lyrical stylings than the ultra fast tempo.

:wink:

The only thing that makes this 'authentic' is that I actually did play a minor part in the Minneapolis hardcore scene back in the early 1980s, leading off for bands like Husker Du, the Replacements and Fear as well as various lesser known bands (we never actually headlined).

Of course, I barely remember anything about back then except that I was usually tired, and awkward, and horny, but still: I was 'there' when 'it happened'.

This song is really just a demo for my new sample company/sample pack/website at: Punk Rock Drum Loops dot com

I played all of the parts: guitar, bass, drums, and vocals, and recorded and mixed everything.

In any case, it really is very fast:

We are the Gentlemen
Last edited by herodotus on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I'll admit I don't know the first thing about "authentic '80s hardcore punk", and I can't imagine the obstacles you faced playing or mixing parts at 340 BPM. (Frankly, I doubt I would have heard much difference between 240 BPM and 340 BPM.) This did sound pretty hardcore, though! (And "We are the Gentlemen" is certainly not a title I'd expect for a "hardcore punk" tune at 340 BMP. It's great!) The drum sounds stood out, at least, and if that's what you're trying to promote, this should give people a good idea.

So, while I can't offer you much on the mix or the sound of the instruments, I can at least say you seem to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing and how to express yourself.

Best of luck, sir!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Oh yes,
this sounds really as described. Well done! I still own one FEAR record here, which has great tracks, especially "New York's Alright If You Like Saxaphones"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_odSgDQeE

Indeed, the drums bring it on in this spirit, ermm -> and tempo!
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

planetearth wrote:I can't imagine the obstacles you faced playing or mixing parts at 340 BPM.
It's all about the in-ear monitors. I couldn't follow any click track without it.
This did sound pretty hardcore, though!

Good! I really did want to nail the sound, as a personal challenge if nothing else.
(And "We are the Gentlemen" is certainly not a title I'd expect for a "hardcore punk" tune at 340 BMP. It's great!)
It is actually a reference to a bit of pop culture which I will leave unspecified for now. The lyrics were intended to be both realistic and cartoonish.
The drum sounds stood out, at least, and if that's what you're trying to promote, this should give people a good idea.
Yes, it seemed close to excessive when I was doing the mix, but loud drums will always have their proponents.
So, while I can't offer you much on the mix or the sound of the instruments, I can at least say you seem to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing and how to express yourself.
Thank you kindly, sir.
Best of luck, sir!
And to you as well.
Steve
John

Many years listening to hardcore punk here. It does sounds pretty authentic, nice work!

I'd say the drums are a bit too up front, but since you're doing this to promote drums / drum loops I think that's fine :) The vocals fit the style very well!

* edit - and refreshingly old school too - a lot of the new stuff is way too polished these days ;)

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Great sounding drums Herodotus! Nice work, full of energy. :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

thomekk wrote:Oh yes,
this sounds really as described. Well done! I still own one FEAR record here, which has great tracks, especially "New York's Alright If You Like Saxaphones"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_odSgDQeE

Indeed, the drums bring it on in this spirit, ermm -> and tempo!
Thanks for listening, and I am glad you liked it. Fear: the Record was a big influence, for sure.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Many years listening to hardcore punk here. It does sounds pretty authentic, nice work!
Thanks. I was kind of surprised by how quickly it came together.
I'd say the drums are a bit too up front, but since you're doing this to promote drums / drum loops I think that's fine :) The vocals fit the style very well!
Yeah, lots of the recordings from back then are really thin sounding, I kind of like it in a way. But the drums were almost inaudible when I mixed it that way, so practicality had to win out.

Glad you like the vocals. The were hard at first: I kept pegging the meters. But then I tried standing on the other side of the room from the mic, and the levels ended up being perfect. I have never really tried yelling like that before. It was really kind of satisfying to make a noise that loud without using an instrument.
* and refreshingly old school too - a lot of the new stuff is way too polished these days ;)
What goes under the name 'punk' these days often makes me shudder with sadness and contempt. Autotuned punk rock is a contradiction in terms

I'm a big 80's HC fan. I can't stand 'post HC', that is mostly just pure emo filth in the guise of HC.

Sorry I digress...

Yes, that sounds about right. Probably a little faster than the norm, but I mean that as a complement. That's a really cool riff, nice and simple, and I like your vox too.

My only real criticism is that the guitars are pushed way out of the mix, and really need to be brought up.

I say this as I'm still in a HC Punk band (as a vocalist)... :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Allomerus wrote:Great sounding drums Herodotus! Nice work, full of energy. :)
Thanks for listening!
Robmobius wrote:I'm a big 80's HC fan. I can't stand 'post HC', that is mostly just pure emo filth in the guise of HC.

Sorry I digress...

Yes, that sounds about right. Probably a little faster than the norm, but I mean that as a complement. That's a really cool riff, nice and simple, and I like your vox too.

My only real criticism is that the guitars are pushed way out of the mix, and really need to be brought up.

I say this as I'm still in a HC Punk band (as a vocalist)... :)
Thanks a lot! I knew I could pull off the drums and guitars, but I had no idea if I could do the vocals. When I listened to the result I just got this ridiculous grin on my face (which didn't help the blood vessels I'd burst in my neck, but...).

Yeah, the vox are great man... Really suits HC! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:Yeah, the vox are great man... Really suits HC! :)
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I might have a new hobby. :wink:

New, more raw and authentic mix:
We are the gentlemen

Sick drumming. Not sure what the previous mix was like, but this one sounds spot on. Good luck on the new venture my man.

rockstarfx wrote:Sick drumming.
Thanks! I really had to 'get in shape' to do these.
Not sure what the previous mix was like, but this one sounds spot on.

The first one was drum heavy because it was a demo for the loops in my sig, but I wanted to do a more realistic mix for personal satisfaction.
Good luck on the new venture my man.
Thank you for your kind words.

Return to “Music Cafe”