The Official XILS 3 Thread ( No more HW dongle required )

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lotuzia wrote:
electro wrote:Does 2.0 make any changes to the XILS 3 Oscillators, Envelopes and Filters? What about 4.0?
Hi Electro,

The Sine oscillator has now waveshaping, like the other waveforms, and therefore has been slightly modified.

You can see pictures on Xils site comparing oscillators waveforms of the Synthi and of the Xils 3. Oscillators are a part of the specific sound of the original series. As a consequence, sound of the Xils 3 itself. It gives a warm but rich sound. Then with waveshaping, and as oscillators can modulate anything, from the filter to themselves, possibilies become quite huge.

Filters : The 3 pole and 4 pole filters benfit from the 4th generation ( already :oops: ) of Xils-Lab ODF filters, wich means that non linear behaviour has been carefully modelled with the greatest accuracy. Especially the 18db filter benefits for this.
This means existing XILS 3 patches will not sound 100% the same on version2?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Thank you Lotuzia!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

kelvyn wrote:Downloaded the update... installed no problem. Tested :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Thanks Kelvyn :hug:

We're glad that very few bugs seem to be remaining atm.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Ingonator wrote:Just found time to isntall the new 2.0 update for XILS 3.
Have not tested it much but at a first look it looks nice.

Having the oscillators at the left part of the GUI seems to be more logical iand is like on several other synths.

Ingo
Hi Ingo,

Yes the GUI has been tottaly revamped. Ergonomics has been vastly improved too, especially all the Matrix workflow. ( And the whole Xils 3 is pretty much all about Matrixes actually so this was very important, and a lot of users did ask for improvements ) We also heavily considered the demands of people who had some slight, or less slight, visual problems, so the GUI is more contrasted.

Below is a non exhaustiv list of what was changed/added in the Xils 3 V2.0 compared to version 1.5.3. ( I say non exhaustive because each day I find something we forgot to add to the list, like the raw, but still very usefull, *lag* generator )

•Name changed to XILS 3.2 : Your existing projects remain unchanged. ( XILS 3 v2.0 will appear as a new synth in your host, and previous version will still show as a distinct unit )

•Core Audio Engine : Waveshaper for the sine wave, New versions of the zero-delay behaviour 24 & 18 dB analog filters (with realistic and ultra precise modeled internal non linearities), New Phaser effect, Polyphonic Ring Modulator, enhanced Velocity/ VCA engine, additional custom modulation sources and targets added. Additonal modulations in the seqencer and keyboard matrixes added ( Gate )

•New GUI & User Interface : Zoom on all the matrixes, continuous modulation amount is now possible inside the Pin Matrix (advanced swiveling Pins), improved ergonomics and workflow, Polyphonic sequencer workflow vastly improved, GUI totally revamped.

•Presets :150 new presets, improved factory bank (retagged, Adapted, for Vector synthesis and real time controls response, reorganized) ( Total is now nearly 400 presets )

•Compatibility : installs in a new independent folder, preserving presets characteristics when importing them from version 1.5.4 and previous
------------_______________________

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

A bit of strangeness:

- I own XILS 3 LE. When I download and install the demo for V. 2.0, the LE version no longer appears in my Audio Units folder.

- If I download and install the latest version of XILS 3 LE from the XILS web site, it shows back up in my Audio Units folder. However... the demo for V. 2 won't open (although it shows up in the AU folder.) Trying to initiate it gives the message: "This Audio Unit Plug-In is not compatible. Failed to initialize."

Ableton 8 + 9, Mac OS 10.7.5.

(On the plus side, the new filters do sound glorious!)

Great to see this great synth has had an update . Nice work Xils-Lab :tu:

brick wrote:Great to see this great synth has had an update . Nice work Xils-Lab :tu:
+1

:tu: :tu:

andrelafosse wrote:A bit of strangeness:

- I own XILS 3 LE. When I download and install the demo for V. 2.0, the LE version no longer appears in my Audio Units folder.

- If I download and install the latest version of XILS 3 LE from the XILS web site, it shows back up in my Audio Units folder. However... the demo for V. 2 won't open (although it shows up in the AU folder.) Trying to initiate it gives the message: "This Audio Unit Plug-In is not compatible. Failed to initialize."

Ableton 8 + 9, Mac OS 10.7.5.

(On the plus side, the new filters do sound glorious!)
Thanks for the filters André :hug:

Yes for the Xils 3 v2 replacing the LE its annoying. Actually when people upgraded in the past from the LE version to the full version, we implemented this feature to make people life easier : Presets were 101% compatible between the two versions, and when users reloaded their project they could play with the Xils 3 instead of the LE version instantaneously. What was a brilliant idea now seems counter productive with the Xils 3 V2 update. SOoooooo ........

You can download the v 2.01 version on the site ( Its not an official point version, so it could change in the future ) where we fixed this problem, and also Stephen's problem about midi c/c assignations ) If all goes well, and no other bug is found in the next future, then this version will become the *official* 2.0.1 version. Hopefully your problem will be fixed ( Just install the new version in the same location than the previous one )
-----------__________

Else : We would really want to thank all the people who sent us some kudos for the release of this version 2.0, here at Kvr, or in other forums, or FB page etc. It helps, and means for us, A LOT to feel such a great feedback and support from all of you !

Hi, Loving the new update!

One bug I spotted is Reverb Number 3 isnt working. Mix knob to full has no output and no noticeable reverb effect is on.

Theres a gui bug on the Matrix Seq page, where the right matrix is overlayed on the names.

Lastly, what does the little white box do under the filter? Does it remove dc too? Maybe add an info text box.

Excellent stuff, really sounds great, hoping to spend alot of time playing it!

Lotuzia wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
Lotuzia wrote: As for the price of the upgrade, I think that, in regard to all what we have added, you'll be MORE than happily surprised : it's ......

FREE

for all existing Xils 3 users !
wow! this is very generous. :hug: can't wait to try it out. just downloading. :hyper:

:D :) :party:
Thanks Mello :hug:

Amongst many other things you'll hear that ......

The Xils 3 V2.0 benefits of the new 4th generation ODF 18 and 24 db analog filters. ( And this means optimised cpu AND finely modeled non linear behaviour)
looks better, workflow enhancements, a lot more possibilities, sounds even better than before, no more hanging notes here, cpu a lot less, great new presets .. the matrix zoom is :tu:

:clap: :party:

thank you very much Laurent and Xavier!
"It dreamed itself along"

electro wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
electro wrote:Does 2.0 make any changes to the XILS 3 Oscillators, Envelopes and Filters? What about 4.0?
Hi Electro,

The Sine oscillator has now waveshaping, like the other waveforms, and therefore has been slightly modified.

You can see pictures on Xils site comparing oscillators waveforms of the Synthi and of the Xils 3. Oscillators are a part of the specific sound of the original series. As a consequence, sound of the Xils 3 itself. It gives a warm but rich sound. Then with waveshaping, and as oscillators can modulate anything, from the filter to themselves, possibilies become quite huge.

Filters : The 3 pole and 4 pole filters benfit from the 4th generation ( already :oops: ) of Xils-Lab ODF filters, wich means that non linear behaviour has been carefully modelled with the greatest accuracy. Especially the 18db filter benefits for this.
I'd like to know more about this too, certainly some of my Unquiet Night patches seem to be sounding somewhat different, although not necessarily for the worse, but some are also too quiet for some reason. It would be good if there was a XILS3.1 mode for legacy patches like Zebra's 2.3 mode to preserve character.

jumpercable wrote:Hi, Loving the new update!

One bug I spotted is Reverb Number 3 isnt working. Mix knob to full has no output and no noticeable reverb effect is on.

Theres a gui bug on the Matrix Seq page, where the right matrix is overlayed on the names.

Lastly, what does the little white box do under the filter? Does it remove dc too? Maybe add an info text box.

Excellent stuff, really sounds great, hoping to spend alot of time playing it!
Hi Jumpercble. Thanks for your kind words.

+ Thanks for the report for the reverb + cosmetic bug. We'll check them.

The little box under the filter, when checked, mulptiply all modulations targeted to the filter by a 4 factor. It was already there in the Xils 3 1.xx versions.

aMUSEd wrote:
electro wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
Hi Electro,

I'd like to know more about this too, certainly some of my Unquiet Night patches seem to be sounding somewhat different, although not necessarily for the worse, but some are also too quiet for some reason. It would be good if there was a XILS3.1 mode for legacy patches like Zebra's 2.3 mode to preserve character.

Hi Electro and Stephen,

Sorry I did not answer to this specific question. I' ll first repost the essential changes form version 1.5.x to versions 2.0.x

•Name changed to XILS 3.2 : Your existing projects remain unchanged. ( XILS 3 v2.0 will appear as a new synth in your host, and previous version will still show as a distinct unit )

•Core Audio Engine : Waveshaper for the sine wave, New versions of the zero-delay behaviour 24 & 18 dB analog filters (with realistic and ultra precise modeled internal non linearities), New Phaser effect, Polyphonic Ring Modulator, enhanced Velocity/ VCA engine, additional custom modulation sources and targets added. Additonal modulations in the seqencer and keyboard matrixes added ( Gate )

•New GUI & User Interface : Zoom on all the matrixes, continuous modulation amount is now possible inside the Pin Matrix (advanced swiveling Pins), improved ergonomics and workflow, Polyphonic sequencer workflow vastly improved, GUI totally revamped.

•Presets :150 new presets, improved factory bank (retagged, Adapted, for Vector synthesis and real time controls response, reorganized) ( Total is now nearly 400 presets )

•Compatibility : installs in a new independent folder, preserving presets characteristics when importing them from version 1.5.4 and previous
------------_______________________

So, yes some patches will sound different, but you can see that all existing projects are 100¨% identical and compatible.

Changing the velocity/vca polyphonic engine, and the headroom, changes in the sine waveshaping, and therefore in all patches who use waveshaping relative to sine, enhancing the filters, the polyphonic Ring Modulator implied that total compatibility could not be achieved. Also important for us was to gain refined filters, and sine behaviour closer to the original model.

There's however a toggle for compatibility in the Xils 3 V2.0 that tries to achieve "as much as possible" compatibility with ancient patches. You can activate it, or not. A lot of presets will sound totally identical, and more will be very close. Then some patches will sound different, its true. More or less. This is why I spent a lot of time rewriting all the factory presets of versions 1.5.x, while also giving them Vector synthesis and RT control capabilities. Volumes needed some work, also sometimes filters mods intensity etc etc.

All in all : Projects remain 100% compatible. The new factory library has much more, and more balanced, more expressive, presets, and all the numerous added features were well worth the disdvantage of not getting 100% compatibility when importing old presets. At least thats how we see it.

Krakatau wrote:
brick wrote:Great to see this great synth has had an update . Nice work Xils-Lab :tu:
+1

:tu: :tu:

Thanks a lot Simon and Krakatau :hug :hug:

Lotuzia wrote:The Xils 4 is something else, another synth, something so monstruous that I dont know if I dare to speak about it now, and here. But it will soon emerge from the depths of the labs. Dont worry.
If this is what I think it is, it'll be amazing. I remember Xavier mentioning the possibility but I wasn't sure if we'd ever see it. 8)

In the meantime I'll be upgrading to version 2.0 of Xils 3 soon, which should be very interesting.
Twitter: Sweep1

Return to “Instruments”