As I mature I'm appreciating classical music a lot more

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any else?

Not me. I like some, dislike a lot, but none more.

The older I get, the more I'm into deep house, chill-out, lounge and ambiente music (and less into EDM) but I guess even in 30 years you won't see me listening much to traditional classical music... :shrug:

I changed from mostly grunge/etc to IDM/melodic electronica in my early twenties, mostly after I started meditating.
Recently I'm getting back into my old deftones etc.
I certainly have more time for stuff which isn't so aggressive - that's the domain of the young.
I have no time whatsoever for modern rock/metal because the mixing and mastering is so loudness-oriented, and it all sounds like total SHITE to be honest.
Everything from 2004 onwards. Prior to that you got some well-mixed albums coming out. Now, not even NiN can do stuff that isn't over-clippage.

I think that is what makes me appreciate classical more - because it's a nice break, dynamics-wise.

But I'm more interested in film music than classical overall.

I may add that I love music which combines classical elements with EDM & pop & chill-out elements, for example the project "ENIGMA" by Michael Cretu. While his songs have some pretty (over?)distorted parts, they still have a big dynamic range in other parts which other artists don't have. I assume it's because his training in classical music at the university that he cares about a certain amount of dynamic in his songs. :tu:

I find I can appreciate all kinds of music more, especially more complex or subtle things that bore me as a kid. A lot of classical falls into that category.

I also appreciate less aggressive music, and less harsh and loud mixing/mastering

I think liking it being a function of maturing is only true if you deliberately tried not to like it due to some preconcieved notion of it being something that is anathema to you. I think to some extent I did that, but what really made me sit up and take a lot more notice of orchestral music in general was getting free access to a lot of performances by large orchestras through work.

I don't really think the term 'classical' is a very good one though - it tends to imply a 'genre' of kinds, which doesn't really exist in the group of music to which it is applied.

It's probably fair to say that the way I appreciate some music has changed over time, and that I have come to value listening with a critical ear. I think that opens up a lot more opportunities to appreciate music, although sometimes it's just the emotion conveyed in a piece that draws to me to it.

The term 'classical' is pretty much understood by everyone, and I think if we use it here I will agree that I have come to appreciate it more as I get older, although it's also fair to say that as I've got older I feel much more of an emotional pull from non-classical music too, particularly when a piece of music brings back memories of the time that I first heard it, or a particular association with the piece is strong.

I was well immersed in it from age 18 for a number of years. The more music I have investigated and created amounts to wanting less and less of it in my life.
it's kind of typical for coffee joints here to have some program piping classical music in, and it's a kind of 'let's get going with caffeine' sort of deal and I don't want to hang. Gets on my nerves quite a bit.
A lot of it is pretty paltry music. The more one is exposed to the more one finds that it's like any genre, there are gems and there is mostly crap.

My emphasis in school became JS Bach-oriented and I can still dig a whole piece there. I don't have time for most of 'classical' itself as an older person though (the use of Beethoven for a moment in the film 'Equlibrium' was stunning and I was moved to tears through the context; NB: this was a stunning record. Most aren't I think.).

For me it is usually is not that broad a term: I don't call Stravinsky 'classical music'. I would rather say something like 'concert music' for a larger catch-all. There is a classical period and it's more or less a genre, as far as my above remarks that is more what I mean. I might take 'Brahms' as more of the same, but technically he's past it.
I can't relate to this dinner-music-for-the-nobleman whole trip and I don't really place myself prior to say Debussy with a lot of comfort.

Nope, still only use it for practice. I'll occasionally play in some amateur performances, mostly at church, including this Easter Saturday, but I'm not getting any more interested in it as music. If anything, the older I get the more I'm getting into keeping up with current trends in pop. I'm too old to play music people my age like.

bluedad wrote:Not me. I like some, dislike a lot, but none more.
Agreed. Some of it is fine, other stuff just bores me. I don't know your age but I'm 49 so I'm thinking there is no hope here :hihi:

metamorphosis wrote: I certainly have more time for stuff which isn't so aggressive - that's the domain of the young.
Oh, I don't know about that. I'm pushing 50 and I still like aggressive stuff. Just depends. I might RATM for a while and then go to Joe Bonamassa and then come back to soundgarden. There is no pattern that needs to be held

I've always enjoyed classical music, but the last 3 years or so it has taken over my musical live through an obsession with J.S Bach. Glenn Gould initially was the catalyst. 90% of the time, I listen to classical now, with 90% of that being Bach. The other 10% to old trance and electronic stuff, and lately a lot of Cynic (their latest is brilliant again).
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Not yet. But i've always appreciated it a fair deal, without getting to know a lot of it in depth. I just slowly annex more and more music to my appreciation list, and classical will get its devout period at some point i'm sure.
Never saw a point in actively shunning it. I guess when you're born in the 80's or later, the cliche of it being snob music gets much less of an imprint.

Naer wrote:Any else?
Yup. As I grow older I'm appreciating death and black metal a lot more. :shrug:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I went through a phase where I appreciated bossa nova. Typical early middle age thing.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”