What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

1330 posts since 12 Nov, 2012

Postby PatchAdamz; Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:39 pm Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

I must admit, I am a hot food and especially hot pepper fanatic.

I grow them, eat them, and make some seriously hot sauce with them.
These are not your standard peppers, these are ones that put the Merciless Peppers of Quetzalacatenango, (grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum) to shame.

Currently growing the Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia to name a few.

Just wondering if there are other KVRist who cant get enough of this hot and funky stuff.

KVRAF

2490 posts since 30 Mar, 2007, from virginia, US

Postby bailees7irish; Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:42 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

PatchAdamz wrote:I must admit, I am a hot food and especially hot pepper fanatic.

I grow them, eat them, and make some seriously hot sauce with them.
These are not your standard peppers, these are ones that put the Merciless Peppers of Quetzalacatenango, (grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum) to shame.

Currently growing the Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia to name a few.

Just wondering if there are other KVRist who cant get enough of this hot and funky stuff.

That thing is scary looking! :o

:hihi:
FL Studio 11 / Music Creator 6 Touch / Fabfilter One / Aalto / Alchemy / Cumulus / Scanned Synth Pro / Consequence / EVE / Harmless / Ohmboyz / Mobilohm / Hematohm / Predatohm / Eos
KVRAF

3945 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:48 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

More of a hot sauce enthusiast than a hot pepper enthusiast, as I don't grow them myself, but I do live for the spicy foods. I've been collecting hot sauces for many years and had so many at one point that my wife made me buy a mini fridge for the garage so I could get all the hot sauces out of the kitchen fridge. I think I'm down to about 20-30 different hot sauces these days, and many of those bottles are nearly empty, or have been in there so long that they could be lethal by now. Probably time to go shopping, unless anybody here wants to send me their own home-brews. :pray: :hyper: :phew:
KVRist

347 posts since 17 Nov, 2004, from Murrumburrah, Australia

Postby jacqueslacouth; Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

That Carolina Reaper sounds like a chemical weapon...wouldn't want to scratch your knob after chopping one of those!
Where the Hell is Murrumburrah????? Well may you ask, but there I dwell!
KVRAF

8850 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:51 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

I hope you know that you have to effect a fire insurance if you grow hot peppers! :!:
KVRAF

2490 posts since 30 Mar, 2007, from virginia, US

Postby bailees7irish; Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

jacqueslacouth wrote:That Carolina Reaper sounds like a chemical weapon...wouldn't want to scratch your knob after chopping one of those!

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
FL Studio 11 / Music Creator 6 Touch / Fabfilter One / Aalto / Alchemy / Cumulus / Scanned Synth Pro / Consequence / EVE / Harmless / Ohmboyz / Mobilohm / Hematohm / Predatohm / Eos
KVRian

Postby PatchAdamz; Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

jacqueslacouth wrote:That Carolina Reaper sounds like a chemical weapon...wouldn't want to scratch your knob after chopping one of those!

Well yea, both the Trinidad Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia are used by the military as weapons (seriously).

The Carolina Reaper is a new breed but registered on the Scoville scale with peak levels of over 2,200,000 SHU. (Jalapeño = 5,000 SHU)

Some people eat them whole, some people....

KVRAF

8850 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:07 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

While I don't have a fetish for different pepper sorts, I'm always peppering my meals like hell. If it ain't hot, it's boring...

I'm a hopeless case as most Bavarians only like salt as spice! :nutter:
KVRian

1319 posts since 11 Jun, 2005, from Phoenix, Arizona

Postby UncleAge; Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:31 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

I like spicy stuff but I stay away from the lethal stuff :) I use a lot of dried chili's in my soups and sauces that I make at home. Fresh chili's I save for salads, sandwiches and burritos. But I don't venture hotter than a Habenero. That's my limit. As a matter for fact one of my favorite simple dishes is to slice up some Habenero's really thin and sautee them in some butter and a little white wine (or tequila near the end). Toss in some angel hair pasta and maybe some fesh cilantro or a smidgen of fresh basil on top.
KVRAF

1920 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:49 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

i read in a science magazine that people who like really hot food simply like it because they have many less tastebuds when it comes to heat level then other people have. so its really not an impressive feat for a person like that to be able to eat hot foods. the same article stated that just like everybody who feels pain, some people have many less pain receptors then others. these are the people that can do impressive pain feats but in reality its not impressive they simply feel it much less and in very small circumstances hardly feel any pain at all. of course to somebody who has many taste bud or pain receptors its extremely impressive.
KVRAF

1659 posts since 13 Mar, 2004

Postby No_Use; Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

PatchAdamz wrote:Some people eat them whole, some people....

[Homer pic]

Haha, that Simpsons episode somehow was the first thing that came in my mind when reading the topic title and opening post. :D
KVRAF

19832 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:20 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

The Carolina Reaper originated about 10 miles from where I am now. Been thinking about checking it out, but the descriptions of it are daunting...
KVRAF

3945 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:34 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

AstralExistence wrote:i read in a science magazine that people who like really hot food simply like it because they have many less tastebuds when it comes to heat level then other people have. so its really not an impressive feat for a person like that to be able to eat hot foods.

I agree with that to some extent. Food that is mildly spicy to me is unbearable to others (e.g., my wife) and, conversely, food that is salty or spicy to some people is extremely bland/tasteless to me. However, my tolerance for tartness is very low - even the thought of eating a SweetTart makes me gag. Regardless, I think that most of that goes out the window when you start talking about the various jolokias, Trinidad scorpions, etc. Eating those things requires a pain tolerance that most of us don't have (myself included) and goes beyond the tastebuds. For me personally, I love the (reasonably) hot stuff, but heat alone isn't enjoyable to me - it has to be balanced with flavor.
KVRAF

1609 posts since 20 Dec, 2002, from State of Denial

Postby Jafo; Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:47 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

Fewer (not "less") taste buds? That may be partially true, but it isn't the whole story, as the heat of capsaicin is felt all over the mouth, not on just a small area on the tongue. Not to mention the large number of super tasters who enjoy the burn. I think it'd be a fun study to run...

Anyway, I use Sriracha as catsup, and use almost a teaspoon of Dave's Insanity Sauce in each bowl of chili or tortilla soup. Does that qualify me in the club? :hihi: Maybe I can get a pity membership; I know what it feels like to slice habaneros without gloves then touch various tender tissues... more than once! :idiot:
"Wait... loot then burn? D'oh!"
KVRian

Postby PatchAdamz; Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:58 pm Re: Any Hot Pepper Enthusiast Here?

UncleAge wrote:I like spicy stuff but I stay away from the lethal stuff :) I use a lot of dried chili's in my soups and sauces that I make at home. Fresh chili's I save for salads, sandwiches and burritos. But I don't venture hotter than a Habenero. That's my limit. As a matter for fact one of my favorite simple dishes is to slice up some Habenero's really thin and sautee them in some butter and a little white wine (or tequila near the end). Toss in some angel hair pasta and maybe some fesh cilantro or a smidgen of fresh basil on top.

I agree, the Habanero is as hot as I can eat in food, I am currently growing several varieties including white, chocolate, red, orange and a rare one that may be a new bread.

When prepared properly, they can add a nice flavor contrast that is hard to beat.

The hotter peppers are great for making sauces, not just for heat but also for flavor.
The Carolina Reaper is good in a sauce because it will never completely "mellow", it will always maintain its "bite" allowing it to blend with sweet herbs and fruit.
In sauce, the Habanero will weaken considerably in less then a week.
The Reaper wont do that....

Its also good to keep barnacles off your boat.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic