Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want THAT Solina sound. You know what i'm talking about. I've demoed both and I'm having a hard time deciding. I like Loomer's set up better, but Stringer is about 25 dollars cheaper.

What do you guys think?

I produce a lost of ambient and trip hop stuff. Working on a Pink Floyd remix atm.

sonic projects is sampled - stringer isn't (and is hence infinitely tweakable) - that's enough reason to spend the extra $ to me.

if youve got reaktor there's also the exceptionally good FREE solina :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVyq7YXOMds

the same author's eminent is pretty cool too
Last edited by jdnz on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

solina patch in the free prodigious is awesomeness.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1328

http://music.service-1.de/html/cromina.html

Its the only SE plugin i like

listen to the demos
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

LimboLoves wrote:I want THAT Solina sound. You know what i'm talking about. I've demoed both and I'm having a hard time deciding. I like Loomer's set up better, but Stringer is about 25 dollars cheaper.

What do you guys think?

I produce a lost of ambient and trip hop stuff. Working on a Pink Floyd remix atm.
Payware 7 best:

1. The Interruptor Night Flight
2. Loomer String (this would be great for ambient)
3. Wok Cromina
4. G-Force VSM (sample)
5. UVI StringMachines (sample)
6. Arp Solina and Eminent 310 Reaktor ensembles

Freeware 2 best:

1. Elektrostudio eSline
2. AlgoMusic String Synthesizer
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Thanks for the replies fellas. I did some more research and found that samples aren't really the way to go so I think i'm picking up loomer. Night Flight and Cromina are really cheap and sound great as well though! Might have to impulse buy all 3 :D

LimboLoves wrote:I want THAT Solina sound. You know what i'm talking about. I've demoed both and I'm having a hard time deciding. I like Loomer's set up better, but Stringer is about 25 dollars cheaper.

What do you guys think?
You're not going to find THAT Solina sound in any Softsynth. Some approximate better than others, but none have actually nailed it. Samples cannot emulate Paraphonics, but for single notes only, look here
http://www.binarymusic.co.uk/solina.html
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I've owned all of these at one point or another:

UVI String Machines
Loomer String
G-Force VSM
XILS V+

I've also owned a real Solina, Logan String Melody and Crumar Performer. All of the software options above are IMHO different from one another with each having strengths and weaknesses. But I also think all of them are quite good and particularly in the mix they all sound good enough vs. the real thing.

donato wrote:I've owned all of these at one point or another:

UVI String Machines
Loomer String
G-Force VSM
XILS V+

I've also owned a real Solina, Logan String Melody and Crumar Performer. All of the software options above are IMHO different from one another with each having strengths and weaknesses. But I also think all of them are quite good and particularly in the mix they all sound good enough vs. the real thing.
Loomer String and XILS V+ are excellent Paraphonics, but none of them do that Arp Solina. Cromina comes closer than those, but still does not get it right. Only the Binary Music Sample Library has the true Solina tone.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I'll look into the Kontakt library. My only worry about the samples is the lack of control over the sounds. Sometimes I wish I just picked the first thing I liked, cuz now I am weighing the pro's and cons.

electro wrote:
donato wrote:I've owned all of these at one point or another:

UVI String Machines
Loomer String
G-Force VSM
XILS V+

Loomer String and XILS V+ are excellent Paraphonics, but none of them do that Arp Solina. Cromina comes closer than those, but still does not get it right. Only the Binary Music Sample Library has the true Solina tone.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't so focused on it having to be a Solina replica. I find other models/emulations/etc. just as interesting in their own way. I liked the Crumar Performer as much as the Solina. Different flavors of the same idea. :)

For Kontakt.

Binary Music - Solina String Ensemble (Mark II)

http://www.binarymusic.co.uk/solina.html
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

LimboLoves wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas. I did some more research and found that samples aren't really the way to go so I think i'm picking up loomer. Night Flight and Cromina are really cheap and sound great as well though! Might have to impulse buy all 3 :D
These 3 are good enough and will leave you with plenty inspiration for other things. If you pick up Loomer, also get my free bank from Loomer's website, lots of nice presets in there.

Samples will get you stuck with only that particular sound, and when you want to get away from it, you will realize that you can't.

But they are cheap, so up to you.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote:Freeware 2 best:

1. Elektrostudio eSline
2. AlgoMusic String Synthesizer
How do rank Krakli's S3 series?

HunterKiller wrote:
LimboLoves wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas. I did some more research and found that samples aren't really the way to go so I think i'm picking up loomer. Night Flight and Cromina are really cheap and sound great as well though! Might have to impulse buy all 3 :D
These 3 are good enough and will leave you with plenty inspiration for other things. If you pick up Loomer, also get my free bank from Loomer's website, lots of nice presets in there.

Samples will get you stuck with only that particular sound, and when you want to get away from it, you will realize that you can't.

But they are cheap, so up to you.

Thanks, I will get your free bank. I bought it today.

Return to “Instruments”