Bias Peak, Mavericks and Other Audio Editors

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks--

I am still running Mac 10.6.8, and have been on the fence about making the jump to Mavericks. I am starting to assemble updated I/O drivers etc., and am sort of OK about forging ahead with Kontakt, Logic etc. as updates debug the possible conflicts, but Peak Pro 7 is another matter because it's unsupported. I've used it for like 12 years, know it very well, it's done fine (with quirks) in Snow Leopard, and I really don't want to change. But I will if I have to, I guess... Anyway, two questions: 1) Can anyone shed light on how Peak might be working within Mavericks? and 2) If I needed to change, are there any opinions on what might be the most "Peak-like" environment? Adobe Audition? Sony Sound Forge? Thanks in advance for any comments you all care to make!!

later,
John

I am on Mavericks and use Audition - it works fine.

It's been ages since I've used Peak, and these days I hardly use audio editors, so not much useful info on using Peak on Mavericks. But you may want to take a look at Audiofile Engineering Triumph (http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/triumph/). It just seems very nice and feature rich, I''m not sure however how it compares to Peak, prabably also dependant on the functionalities you use.

Peak user till 6, not using much these days and didn't need all the features of the more expensive others, (although Quattro is indeed feature packed), when the need arises again I will be going for DSP Quattro, its quite outstanding, great workflow and really supportive dev from what I hear, there is also a generous cross grade for Peak users and for the cash :party: .There's a demo available.

http://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/S ... attro.html
01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100100 00100000 00100010 01000100 01100001 01101001 01110011 01111001 00101110 00100010

Thanks to all your responses! I am investigating DSP Quattro, Triumph and also Amadeus II. I think I'll be able to make a decision soon!

TwistedWave is worth a look as well. Not the most fully featured, but I think the workflow is extremely well thought out for fast editing and feels closest to how I used to work in Cool Edit Pro (which sadly became the bloated Adobe Audition). DSP Quattro might be the one that comes closest to Peak workflow, although I'm unfamiliar with the later versions of Peak before it was discontinued.

jtenney wrote:Thanks to all your responses! I am investigating DSP Quattro, Triumph and also Amadeus II.
Amadeus II :?: :o You probably mean AMADEUS Pro.
DSP Quattro v4 looks also promising! I can't speak for Bias Peak except that it was horribly expensive with an extremely annoying licensing system (copy protection). Those were probably the reasons for Bias downfall.

Besides that i still use an old Mac 10.5.8, I don't want to upgrade because I'd loose some very good working stuff. :wink:

Delfinoverde, I meant Amadeus Pro 2.0, which is the "official" name. I am looking hard at DSP Quattro 4, which is especially attractive since it's full-featured and has a very good crossgrade price for people abandoned by Peak, like me. I don't know what was going on at Bias that would have caused its downfall, but I suspect from other posts I looked at, and a long conversation I had with a rep at an AES convention in SF in 2010, that all was not well for quite a while... Thanks for your comments!

Amadeus Pro meets my needs.Very clean interface.

I use Audition at work but I'll be damned if I buy into CC versions myself

+1 for DSP Quattro. As an alternative, you have Wavelab Elements, which is very feature packed, and still cheap.

But I am running Peak in Mavericks, and it runs OK. problem is that you have to install Mavericks as an upgrade, because you nedd to have Peak already authorized, since it will not authorize anymore.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”