What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

2D or 3D animation

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

1262 posts since 26 Jul, 2004

Postby classic; Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:51 am 2D or 3D animation

Well, this is off topic for sure.

As we all know, KVR is THE platform in the web to get information about nearly every thing you can think of regarding music production.

Here is always someone around to answer and help.

I am looking through the web and I am looking for a platform like kvr with the same dedication but with its focus on 2D and 3D animation and software for it.

Anybody having experience regarding this subject and can point me a way`?

Thanks
classic
KVRian

950 posts since 9 Sep, 2010

Postby Robmobius; Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:53 am Re: 2D or 3D animation

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

I've not been there is a few years, but it was good back then.
My gear review blog at the Industry Hotspot Website:

http://theindustryhotspot.com/profiles/ ... ailwz3fygg
KVRAF

2513 posts since 13 Feb, 2001, from What do you care? :)

Postby Sequent; Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:03 am Re: 2D or 3D animation

+1 to what Robmobius said. The CG Society to be a fairly good all around resource covering general topics and with sub forums for various packages. (I also haven't been there in a while)

Assuming you're already working with a specific package, the best forums will probably be those specific to what you're using. As I'm sure you know, each company usually hosts a forum related to their product(s). Even if you haven't yet picked up a particular package it's usually a good idea to visit those forums to see what kinds of problems people might be encountering. Or perhaps they're all very happy with what they have. Good to know what kinds of experiences people are having either way.
Spacey stuff: www.myspace.com/sequent7
Cloudy stuff: www.soundcloud.com/sequent7

Available on iTunes and at Amazon.
KVRAF

3990 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 am Re: 2D or 3D animation

I'm a professional animator/motion graphic artist. Is there something specific that you're looking for information on?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/4" audio patchcord
KVRian

Postby Robmobius; Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:39 am Re: 2D or 3D animation

I'm a 2d animator (I was, for about 10 years). Mostly though, I work as an illustrator and web designer now. I don't really frequent art forums any more (prefer to stick to my hobbies) :).

But if you have specific questions I might be about to help you out as well as deastman.

KVRAF

Postby deastman; Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm Re: 2D or 3D animation

Like Rob said, I tend to hang out more in music forums than graphics forums. I only turn to the latter when I'm stuck and need help with a specific problem. But as Sequent mentioned, there are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific software and techniques. So if you could give us a more specific idea of what you're looking for, I'm sure we can either help you ourselves or point you in the right direction.
KVRAF

7464 posts since 2 Apr, 2002, from Austin, Texas, USA

Postby SyntheticAurality; Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:24 am Re: 2D or 3D animation

Robmobius wrote:http://forums.cgsociety.org/

I've not been there is a few years, but it was good back then.

That's where I am when not here.. lots of good info on CGTalk.
KVRian

Postby classic; Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 am Re: 2D or 3D animation

Waho.

Thank you very much people.

I am happy to know where I can go to find answers.

Right now I am working to learn Blender.
I know it is very powerfull.

With the basics in tuts you can come along a while.
Just looking how to use it to bring 3d pics together with real movies.
Does not seem to be to complicated.
KVRian

Postby Robmobius; Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 am Re: 2D or 3D animation

I've not used Blender, but I've heard that it has quite a learning curve.

I really like (or liked) 3ds Max when I was going through my 3D phase. I found it to be very powerful and to learn the basics is pretty handy. It's when you get up to the high end stuff that your head begins to hurn (or mine did anyway) :). But if you learn it, you would have a huge range of info available to you, as it's the industry standard (and Maya).

But these days, I work mainly as an illustrator and web designer. But I have a degree in classical 2d animation as well. So I've a good understanding of it.

I'd highly recommend the Preston Blair books. While they are for 2d animation - you would need to use the same principals in 3d. Such as overlapping actions, anticipation, etc. If you get these down your animation will really start to shine. Lots of good tutes on YT. I also got some good stuff from the Gnomon workshop.

Here's some of the principals explained on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_basic_p ... _animation

KVRian

Postby classic; Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 pm Re: 2D or 3D animation

Yes, Blender is a learn curve to master, that is for shure.
Don´t know if there is something more easy to start with and have results that can look like really nice movies and is so much for FREE:)

Well:)

Thank you very much for your help anyway.

All the best
classic
KVRAF

Postby deastman; Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:24 pm Re: 2D or 3D animation

The Blender.org website has links to a huge number of resources which can help you learn the software. Also, there are plenty of helpful videos on YouTube.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to know how to combine your 3D animations with live action video. Combining layers of animation, graphics, photos, and video is call "compositing". Blender can do that, as well as video editing.

As long as you're just doing this as a hobby, I recommend sticking with Blender and learning all you can about it. If you want to get a job doing this sort of work, you will need to learn to use commercial tools such as 3ds Max, Maya, or Cinema 4D, along with all the various Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro). But for now, just focus on learning Blender inside and out.

I would be remiss if I didn't put in another plug for Art of Illusion, the *other* free, open-source 3D modeling, animation, and rendering package, which happens to be written by my brother.
http://www.artofillusion.org

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic