windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i cant figure this out this shit is completely degrading my audio. anybody know how to fix it.

No issues here :shrug:

AstralExistence wrote:i cant figure this out this shit is completely degrading my audio. anybody know how to fix it.
You probably have to go back to 7. The problem is that the version number is not prime, and it's particularly bad since it's a power of 2. This allows an excessive number of even harmonics through in your final sound. Windows 3 sounded good, and then came Win95/Win98 (windows 4) which sounded like shit, XP(windows 5) which restored harmonic balance and is still the favorite of a lot of people, then Vista(windows 6) which was utter crap, then, finally, Windows 7. Windows 8 and the two versions after that are just not going to work, but at least 9 and 10 won't sound as bad as 8. Hopefully Microsoft will catch on and fix the problem by Windows 16 which is not only a power of 2, but a power of 4 as well, my god that's going to sound like utter shit.

Windows 3.11? It didn't even have ASIO. Soundblaster PCI madness :D

You could check whether any Microsoft effects are on, I'm on Win7 and they were off by default, I haven't tried them. Look in control panel sounds somewhere, also double check playback settings in there, you can choose sample rate stuff, but I don't think they'd ship it all bitcrushed.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

ghettosynth wrote:
You probably have to go back to 7. The problem is that the version number is not prime, and it's particularly bad since it's a power of 2. This allows an excessive number of even harmonics through in your final sound. Windows 3 sounded good, and then came Win95/Win98 (windows 4) which sounded like shit, XP(windows 5) which restored harmonic balance and is still the favorite of a lot of people, then Vista(windows 6) which was utter crap, then, finally, Windows 7. Windows 8 and the two versions after that are just not going to work, but at least 9 and 10 won't sound as bad as 8. Hopefully Microsoft will catch on and fix the problem by Windows 16 which is not only a power of 2, but a power of 4 as well, my god that's going to sound like utter shit.
+1

:D

ghettosynth wrote:You probably have to go back to 7. The problem is that the version number is not prime, and it's particularly bad since it's a power of 2. This allows an excessive number of even harmonics through in your final sound. Windows 3 sounded good, and then came Win95/Win98 (windows 4) which sounded like shit, XP(windows 5) which restored harmonic balance and is still the favorite of a lot of people, then Vista(windows 6) which was utter crap, then, finally, Windows 7. Windows 8 and the two versions after that are just not going to work, but at least 9 and 10 won't sound as bad as 8. Hopefully Microsoft will catch on and fix the problem by Windows 16 which is not only a power of 2, but a power of 4 as well, my god that's going to sound like utter shit.
Uhm, old news. Any electronic musician worth his salt knows that already. Sheesh!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

RunBeerRun wrote:You could check whether any Microsoft effects are on, I'm on Win7 and they were off by default, I haven't tried them. Look in control panel sounds somewhere, also double check playback settings in there, you can choose sample rate stuff, but I don't think they'd ship it all bitcrushed.
My money is on this. I'm pretty sure mine came with all that stuff turned off by default though. Audio via ASIO should sound exactly the same regardless though because your ASIO driver bypasses the Windows sound mixer entirely. Bit-perfect audio piped directly to the DAC. If even output through ASIO sounds different, you can be assured it's all in your head. :wink:

vata44 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
+1

:D
And it is 2014...also only cleanly dividable by 2. Any other even number creates a fraction and that leads to fragmented sound. Had 2014 been divisible by 8 it would result in a very rich clean sound. In 2016, expect Windows 8 to have the purist sound because not only is 2016 cleanly divided by 2, 4, 8, 16, and 24... it is also clearly a 32-bit floating point year by a factor of 63...the largest factor ever in the history of mankind. It may sound so good that even the most discerning ear will not be able to distinguish how good and clear it really will be.

ghettosynth wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:i cant figure this out this shit is completely degrading my audio. anybody know how to fix it.
he's right , see ;

you guys laugh but though rare, this is a known problem with windows 8.

AstralExistence wrote:you guys laugh but though rare, this is a known problem with windows 8.
Audio sounds much better on XP.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

not sure what i did but its fixed now.

AstralExistence wrote:not sure what i did but its fixed now.
:tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”