What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

AstralExistence
KVRAF

1931 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:34 pm windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

i cant figure this out this shit is completely degrading my audio. anybody know how to fix it.
paterpeter
KVRAF

1698 posts since 15 Oct, 2008, from Germany

Postby paterpeter; Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:53 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

No issues here :shrug:
ghettosynth
KVRAF

4266 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

AstralExistence wrote:i cant figure this out this shit is completely degrading my audio. anybody know how to fix it.

You probably have to go back to 7. The problem is that the version number is not prime, and it's particularly bad since it's a power of 2. This allows an excessive number of even harmonics through in your final sound. Windows 3 sounded good, and then came Win95/Win98 (windows 4) which sounded like shit, XP(windows 5) which restored harmonic balance and is still the favorite of a lot of people, then Vista(windows 6) which was utter crap, then, finally, Windows 7. Windows 8 and the two versions after that are just not going to work, but at least 9 and 10 won't sound as bad as 8. Hopefully Microsoft will catch on and fix the problem by Windows 16 which is not only a power of 2, but a power of 4 as well, my god that's going to sound like utter shit.
arkmabat
KVRAF

2583 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Postby arkmabat; Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:20 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

Windows 3.11? It didn't even have ASIO. Soundblaster PCI madness :D
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7717 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:56 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

You could check whether any Microsoft effects are on, I'm on Win7 and they were off by default, I haven't tried them. Look in control panel sounds somewhere, also double check playback settings in there, you can choose sample rate stuff, but I don't think they'd ship it all bitcrushed.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/RunBeerRun5 -Youtube jams
https://twitter.com/RunBeerRun5 -Twitter rants
vata44
KVRian

1479 posts since 29 Jul, 2007

Postby vata44; Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

ghettosynth wrote:
You probably have to go back to 7. The problem is that the version number is not prime, and it's particularly bad since it's a power of 2. This allows an excessive number of even harmonics through in your final sound. Windows 3 sounded good, and then came Win95/Win98 (windows 4) which sounded like shit, XP(windows 5) which restored harmonic balance and is still the favorite of a lot of people, then Vista(windows 6) which was utter crap, then, finally, Windows 7. Windows 8 and the two versions after that are just not going to work, but at least 9 and 10 won't sound as bad as 8. Hopefully Microsoft will catch on and fix the problem by Windows 16 which is not only a power of 2, but a power of 4 as well, my god that's going to sound like utter shit.

+1

:D
Orbit-50
KVRian

1057 posts since 28 Jun, 2005, from La La Land

Postby Orbit-50; Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:39 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

ghettosynth wrote:You probably have to go back to 7. The problem is that the version number is not prime, and it's particularly bad since it's a power of 2. This allows an excessive number of even harmonics through in your final sound. Windows 3 sounded good, and then came Win95/Win98 (windows 4) which sounded like shit, XP(windows 5) which restored harmonic balance and is still the favorite of a lot of people, then Vista(windows 6) which was utter crap, then, finally, Windows 7. Windows 8 and the two versions after that are just not going to work, but at least 9 and 10 won't sound as bad as 8. Hopefully Microsoft will catch on and fix the problem by Windows 16 which is not only a power of 2, but a power of 4 as well, my god that's going to sound like utter shit.

Uhm, old news. Any electronic musician worth his salt knows that already. Sheesh!

.-.
Intel Core i7, Cubase 7.5, Ableton Live 9+Push, FL Studio 11, Wavelab 8.5, Halion 5, NI Komplete 9, Waves, Nexus 2, All VPS, Spire, Sylenth1, FXpansion, Alchemy, Waldorf Largo, Synthmaster, Ohm Force, GForce, D16 Group, ArtsAcoustic, FabFilter and more..
KVRAF

2162 posts since 27 Dec, 2002, from London

Postby cron; Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

RunBeerRun wrote:You could check whether any Microsoft effects are on, I'm on Win7 and they were off by default, I haven't tried them. Look in control panel sounds somewhere, also double check playback settings in there, you can choose sample rate stuff, but I don't think they'd ship it all bitcrushed.

My money is on this. I'm pretty sure mine came with all that stuff turned off by default though. Audio via ASIO should sound exactly the same regardless though because your ASIO driver bypasses the Windows sound mixer entirely. Bit-perfect audio piped directly to the DAC. If even output through ASIO sounds different, you can be assured it's all in your head. :wink:
thejonsolo
KVRist

493 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 am Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

vata44 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

+1

:D

And it is 2014...also only cleanly dividable by 2. Any other even number creates a fraction and that leads to fragmented sound. Had 2014 been divisible by 8 it would result in a very rich clean sound. In 2016, expect Windows 8 to have the purist sound because not only is 2016 cleanly divided by 2, 4, 8, 16, and 24... it is also clearly a 32-bit floating point year by a factor of 63...the largest factor ever in the history of mankind. It may sound so good that even the most discerning ear will not be able to distinguish how good and clear it really will be.
Windows 8.1 Pro | Intel i7 4770 | 24 GB RAM | Scarlett 6i6 | Dual 27" monitors
Nektar Panorama P6 | Korg Kronos 88 | Blue Baby Bottle | Maschine Mk2 | Launchpad S | JBL LSR308
Cubase 8 | Reason 8 | Ableton Live 9 | FL Studio 11
gamecat666
KVRian

943 posts since 16 Feb, 2010

Postby gamecat666; Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:14 am Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

experimental.crow
KVRAF

4809 posts since 9 Mar, 2003

Postby experimental.crow; Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:16 am Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

ghettosynth wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:i cant figure this out this shit is completely degrading my audio. anybody know how to fix it.

he's right , see ;

AstralExistence
KVRAF

Postby AstralExistence; Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 am Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

you guys laugh but though rare, this is a known problem with windows 8.
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

6663 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:57 am Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

AstralExistence wrote:you guys laugh but though rare, this is a known problem with windows 8.

Audio sounds much better on XP.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
AstralExistence
KVRAF

Postby AstralExistence; Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:34 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

not sure what i did but its fixed now.
BBFG#
KVRAF

4016 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:20 pm Re: windows 8 audio quality or why does windows 8 sound like shit?

AstralExistence wrote:not sure what i did but its fixed now.

:tu:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Computer Setup and System Configuration