What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What can Geist do what I can't do...

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

ghettosynth
KVRAF

4173 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:31 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

hibidy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:You can create patterns super fast (24 per engine) and just drag the pattern into a track, done.

Is part of the demo restriction not being able to do that? I'm really new.

I don't know, but that would make sense as the beat creating workflow is a key feature. I asked, but nobody answered, do you guys know what kind of copy protection it uses? IIRC, they use C/R? Yes?
deastman
KVRAF

4073 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

As much as I love Geist, I haven't touched it since getting into Ableton and Push. Geist has a great workflow, but locked up inside a single plugin. With Live, its all just seamlessly integrated into the DAW itself- the sampling, warping, slicing, mapping to pads, sequencing, mixing down to new clips... even navigating sound sets with more than 16 pads is way easier natively in Live. I feel guilty that I haven't used Geist that much, but I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/4" audio patchcord
hibidy
KVRAF

41607 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:29 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

That's the thing I'm wondering about. What will it do that I can't already in live. But I bought it anyways. I figured worst case scenario is that I hate it and resell it.
Alias9593
KVRist

180 posts since 8 Dec, 2011, from Lebbeke, Belgium

Postby Alias9593; Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:35 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

Geist is a really good plugin. I use it in Live and i created my personal "drum machine" with multiple outputs, triggered by a midi track on channel 11. It's working fine but a little bit confusing when you want to automate things. IMHO.

I prefer to use Kontakt multi-instruments. Every instrument is triggered by an external instrument track. So i have a multi-in/multi-out configuration and can easily automate, create different patterns and apply effects on every instruments. (hope is clear).

I think it's a question of taste but with all the promos you can find actually, Geist is certainly not a bad choice.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

4516 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:25 am Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

at this price it becomes really easy to justify. i paid 80 dollars without any interest in the sequencing engine, nor really the library. the sampling/resampling workflow was worth that price. i wasn't so interested in the library, though i know some folks really rate it. at this price, it could even be worth it just for the sounds and kits
~Pd~
KVRian

722 posts since 29 Jul, 2006

Postby ~Pd~; Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:26 am Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

ghettosynth wrote:
hibidy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:You can create patterns super fast (24 per engine) and just drag the pattern into a track, done.

Is part of the demo restriction not being able to do that? I'm really new.

I don't know, but that would make sense as the beat creating workflow is a key feature. I asked, but nobody answered, do you guys know what kind of copy protection it uses? IIRC, they use C/R? Yes?

Yeah it's C/R. Some people hate that but it works fine for me and hasn't caused any problems.
Schmidi
KVRist

75 posts since 22 Apr, 2011, from Seattle WA

Postby Schmidi; Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

So I have both Geist and Live 9 Suite, and I love using Geist for my drums! Yes, Life's drum racks can go far deeper, but I find I am far more productive using Geist. It also shares a lot of DNA with dcam Synth Squad and as such, I feel like it adds that intangible something to my samples.

If you really want a cool combo: fill up all the engines with samples, fill the pattern banks up on each engine, snapshot some scenes, and then sequence said scenes/patterns via a midi keyboard in Live! Massive potential for complex sequencing!
Check out my cloud! https://soundcloud.com/schmidi_0
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

One thing I wasn't able to do is drag/drop a sample onto a pad, only autoload would work. However, today it works fine :?
outsidesystems
KVRer

20 posts since 20 Aug, 2009

Postby outsidesystems; Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

I just wish Geist's UI was a little larger. It's quite small on high-res monitors.
hibidy
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:35 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

I'm not really a "slicer" but I'm kinda feeling it with geist vs live.

I haven't gotten through the manual yet, is there no way to drag/drop a loop in and have it slice? Or only through the browser?
audientronic
KVRian

810 posts since 30 Mar, 2012

Postby audientronic; Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:46 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

This is great for 50 bucks. Auto-slice is nice. Now for another 50 percent xpansion sale so I can pick up the cinematic drum thingy.

And then there's utonic and I'm probably done. ;).
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4363 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:23 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

audientronic wrote:This is great for 50 bucks. Auto-slice is nice. Now for another 50 percent xpansion sale so I can pick up the cinematic drum thingy.

its hard to be done if your a kvr regular :lol:
Best Advice I ever got : "Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music."
pdxindy
KVRAF

8872 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:44 pm Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

V0RT3X wrote:
audientronic wrote:This is great for 50 bucks. Auto-slice is nice. Now for another 50 percent xpansion sale so I can pick up the cinematic drum thingy.

its hard to be done if your a kvr regular :lol:

He just means done for April... :hihi:
sinkmusic
KVRAF

5586 posts since 28 Apr, 2004, from france

Postby sinkmusic; Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:13 am Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

Grrr ! I just bought it from JRRshop ! :D
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF

8436 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 am Re: What can Geist do what I can't do...

So far I've found one thing that Geist CANNOT do: give me more money... :cry:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments