Sould i throw the Focusrite Scarlett out of my window??

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

my computer was a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lduYYLOqI20

the clipping just drive me crazy
i am very regret bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 now...
i just want a slient and stable interface..
who can help me now ??
if this time i can't settle this problems..
maybe i will switch to Presonus or something like that ...and never back to Focusrite again..

thank you very much for helping....thank you :wink:

I don't own your interface, but I do record guitar. Is your level too hot? Also, what's the issue with "silent" ? Often noise pickup isn't the fault of the interface, it can be hard to get a good quiet guitar recording.

I'm trying to get a look at your screen to see if it's spiking there. On your scarlett it's showing green which isn't clipping, red is clipping

crashedthecar wrote:I'm trying to get a look at your screen to see if it's spiking there. On your scarlett it's showing green which isn't clipping, red is clipping
Yep - sounds and looks fine to me in that vid as well - I have the 2i4 and think it pretty good.

I don't see ANY clipping on your scarlett...input is always GREEN, even when sound clips

What speakers are you using ? Because if you say you use your laptop speakers...i will roll on the floor LOL crying :hihi:

Listen to the headphone output, probably no clipping
If clipping on the headphone output, you problem is your software audio chain.

Nothing related to the audiocard itself here. Sometimes, ppl with very hot pickups clip the input (and so use an attenuator or buy the 2i4 with pads).
But this is not your problem here (green input level on the audiocard).

I expected a poll with a yes or no option.
:borg:

Are you sure is clipping? or pop and crackles when playing audio?

Any way Steinberg ur22 is better, or if you have money an RME
dedication to flying

Too late for me to check the video clip.
What did you have your sample rate set at? The default may be too low
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I'm starting to wonder if its just windows 7 64 bit. I have a NI Komplete Audio 6. On my old computer every 5 mins or so it would start getting underruns while just using my computer, I would always have to reset it in the device manager in windows. Like every 5 mins, I NEVER got popping in my recordings though. But about 5 days ago I built a new computer, and I'm still on win 7 64 bit, now the Komplete audio 6 just freezes when I load a game and I get no sound. I have it unplugged atm and am thinking of selling it and getting a scarlett but I'm starting to wonder if win 7 64 bit is programmed weird for sound and its super hard for them to make right audio drivers for win7?

cj31387 wrote:I'm starting to wonder if its just windows 7 64 bit. I have a NI Komplete Audio 6. On my old computer every 5 mins or so it would start getting underruns while just using my computer, I would always have to reset it in the device manager in windows. Like every 5 mins, I NEVER got popping in my recordings though. But about 5 days ago I built a new computer, and I'm still on win 7 64 bit, now the Komplete audio 6 just freezes when I load a game and I get no sound. I have it unplugged atm and am thinking of selling it and getting a scarlett but I'm starting to wonder if win 7 64 bit is programmed weird for sound and its super hard for them to make right audio drivers for win7?
Windows 7 has been very stable for me (and many other people), and Microsoft and the audio hardware developers have had enough time to iron out kinks in the drivers. Anyone still having trouble with Windows 7 should look to see how his or her system is configured, and turn off everything that isn't necessary.

The OP didn't mention anything else about his system, but if he's still going to toss his Scarlett out the window, please let me know when and where to be so I can catch it. The problem is not with the Focusrite. The NI Komplete is another interface I'd love to have, and again, many people swear by the stability of the drivers. Check your system if it's not working properly. Chances are great that it's the audio drivers you have installed or something running on the computer that's causing your problems.

There are many posts on KVR about how to "tune" your Windows 7 OS to get the most from each CPU cycle. I would suggest completely removing any audio drivers on the system, disabling the on-board audio chip, and installing the latest drivers for your soundcard. After that, you can look at disabling network features and other services a DAW doesn't really need (such as anti-virus, automatic updates and power management).

Steve

P.S.: This is also in the wrong forum. It should be moved to http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Have seen several complain about scarlet. I have never used one. Have had for maybe three years the firewire focusrite pro 24 small interface, which is the most stable asio audio box I've used on win 7. Excellent audio quality as best my old ears can tell, and bulletproof drivers.

In the past as a software developer, users would complain about hardware specific bugs and the company would buy me the complained about interfaces to debug, and some seemed to have rather temperamental drivers. But I am getting old and stupid and haven't done any audio interface driver testing lately. Dunno whether the average quality has gotten better, worse, or stayed about the same lately.

Would be a shame if focusrite is falling down, considering that the saphire happened to be so bulletproof at least in my experience.

In the past, usb or firewire chip incompatibilities on some motherboards could cause otherwise good interfaces to behave crazy unstable, even with otherwise good boxes and drivers. Am guessing that this might still be within the realm of possibility, but dunno. The way to try to eliminate that possibility would be to buy a usb or firewire card with a "blessed" chipset.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”