What can Geist do what I can't do...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:
pdxindy wrote: You can create patterns super fast (24 per engine) and just drag the pattern into a track, done.

Is part of the demo restriction not being able to do that? I'm really new.
I don't know, but that would make sense as the beat creating workflow is a key feature. I asked, but nobody answered, do you guys know what kind of copy protection it uses? IIRC, they use C/R? Yes?

As much as I love Geist, I haven't touched it since getting into Ableton and Push. Geist has a great workflow, but locked up inside a single plugin. With Live, its all just seamlessly integrated into the DAW itself- the sampling, warping, slicing, mapping to pads, sequencing, mixing down to new clips... even navigating sound sets with more than 16 pads is way easier natively in Live. I feel guilty that I haven't used Geist that much, but I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

That's the thing I'm wondering about. What will it do that I can't already in live. But I bought it anyways. I figured worst case scenario is that I hate it and resell it.

Geist is a really good plugin. I use it in Live and i created my personal "drum machine" with multiple outputs, triggered by a midi track on channel 11. It's working fine but a little bit confusing when you want to automate things. IMHO.

I prefer to use Kontakt multi-instruments. Every instrument is triggered by an external instrument track. So i have a multi-in/multi-out configuration and can easily automate, create different patterns and apply effects on every instruments. (hope is clear).

I think it's a question of taste but with all the promos you can find actually, Geist is certainly not a bad choice.

at this price it becomes really easy to justify. i paid 80 dollars without any interest in the sequencing engine, nor really the library. the sampling/resampling workflow was worth that price. i wasn't so interested in the library, though i know some folks really rate it. at this price, it could even be worth it just for the sounds and kits

ghettosynth wrote:
hibidy wrote:
pdxindy wrote: You can create patterns super fast (24 per engine) and just drag the pattern into a track, done.

Is part of the demo restriction not being able to do that? I'm really new.
I don't know, but that would make sense as the beat creating workflow is a key feature. I asked, but nobody answered, do you guys know what kind of copy protection it uses? IIRC, they use C/R? Yes?
Yeah it's C/R. Some people hate that but it works fine for me and hasn't caused any problems.

So I have both Geist and Live 9 Suite, and I love using Geist for my drums! Yes, Life's drum racks can go far deeper, but I find I am far more productive using Geist. It also shares a lot of DNA with dcam Synth Squad and as such, I feel like it adds that intangible something to my samples.

If you really want a cool combo: fill up all the engines with samples, fill the pattern banks up on each engine, snapshot some scenes, and then sequence said scenes/patterns via a midi keyboard in Live! Massive potential for complex sequencing!

One thing I wasn't able to do is drag/drop a sample onto a pad, only autoload would work. However, today it works fine :?

I just wish Geist's UI was a little larger. It's quite small on high-res monitors.

I'm not really a "slicer" but I'm kinda feeling it with geist vs live.

I haven't gotten through the manual yet, is there no way to drag/drop a loop in and have it slice? Or only through the browser?

This is great for 50 bucks. Auto-slice is nice. Now for another 50 percent xpansion sale so I can pick up the cinematic drum thingy.

And then there's utonic and I'm probably done. ;).

audientronic wrote:This is great for 50 bucks. Auto-slice is nice. Now for another 50 percent xpansion sale so I can pick up the cinematic drum thingy.

its hard to be done if your a kvr regular :lol:
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
audientronic wrote:This is great for 50 bucks. Auto-slice is nice. Now for another 50 percent xpansion sale so I can pick up the cinematic drum thingy.

its hard to be done if your a kvr regular :lol:
He just means done for April... :hihi:

Grrr ! I just bought it from JRRshop ! :D

So far I've found one thing that Geist CANNOT do: give me more money... :cry:

Return to “Instruments”