What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Change your passwords.. NOW

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

2468 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

In normal security discussions, "utilized in the wild" means a vulnerability was exploited by real attackers.
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
KVRAF

6044 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:14 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

ZenPunkHippy wrote:In case anyone is wondering, btw - Camel Audio's web server is not affected by this bug because of the specific Linux distribution we are running.

JRR Shop is patched and we're reissuing the cert as an extra precaution.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
KVRAF

8964 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

Frantz wrote:In normal security discussions, "utilized in the wild" means a vulnerability was exploited by real attackers.

No, "utilized" means used, and I was referring to the code including the bug. Regardless, all we need to consider is when the earliest time was that it could have been exploited, and in this case that is actually immediately after it was released. In fact it could have been in unstable branches before the official release, but I wouldn't worry about that.

You'd only want to even consider whether we have proof it was exploited if you're in denial.

Now it turns out that it was used as early as last November, and I stand by my opinion that it would have been noticed very soon after being checked in to the development branch.

Since this branch is public, you can be certain it is watched. This is sometimes how "zero-day" exploits are born.

In time I have no doubts you will find exploits of this that happen very soon after the more important targets put the code into active use.
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:24 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

aciddose wrote:No, "utilized" means used, and I was referring to the code including the bug.

You are using terminology in a confusing way. Of course, everyone knows what "utilized" means. "widely utilized in the wild during the first quarter 2012" has a specific meaning in security discussions. It means exploited by attackers since 2012.

For example, the people who published the Heartbleed vulnerability used the phrase on their site:

http://heartbleed.com/
All this just in case we were not first ones to discover this and this could have been exploited in the wild already.

I'm done discussing this with you.
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:28 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

LOL.

You just quoted them using the term "exploited", while I used the term "utilized". You're a non-native English speaker, right?

Well this is a lesson then. One word doesn't mean another totally unrelated word, even in the confusing mess that is English.

The term "in the wild" means in situations outside the direct control of the authors, or outside of test cases. So for example the 1992 Toyota Corolla is currently utilized in the wild. A 2018 unknown model in development, however, is not.
Last edited by aciddose on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVRAF

2623 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:30 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

Could this be why I have been getting SSL Error messages on Google sites (YouTube, most notably) while using Google Chrome? So far, Internet Explorer seems OK.
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:37 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

I'm a native English speaker. One last attempt to get this point across. I know you did not use the word "exploited." However, people who know about security know that "in the wild" means "actively exploited." This is different from "in the zoo" or only in the lab.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_viruses
In terms of scope, there are two major variants: the list of "in-the-wild" viruses, which list viruses in active circulation, and lists of all known viruses, which also contain viruses believed not be in active circulation (also called "zoo viruses").

The confusion comes from you using terms you don't understand.
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:20 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

No, the confusion comes from you thinking "in the wild" means something it absolutely does not. I've seen "in the wild" used most often in nature documentaries. Do you think it wise to interpret this usage as "exploited by thieves" ?

The following documentary is about African elephants in the wild...

I've first released my synthesizer Xhip in the wild in back in December 2004. Does this make it some kind of exploit? What does it exploit?

Here is a photo of a baby rabbit in the wild which I have indeed exploited to make my point. Also it's cute. :hyper:

KVRAF

2490 posts since 30 Mar, 2007, from virginia, US

Postby bailees7irish; Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

aciddose wrote:No, the confusion comes from you thinking "in the wild" means something it absolutely does not. I've seen "in the wild" used most often in nature documentaries. Do you think it wise to interpret this usage as "exploited by thieves" ?

The following documentary is about African elephants in the wild...

I've first released my synthesizer Xhip in the wild in back in December 2004. Does this make it some kind of exploit? What does it exploit?

Here is a photo of a baby rabbit in the wild which I have indeed exploited to make my point. Also it's cute. :hyper:

:hihi:

I'm going to have to side with aciddose on this one. 8)
FL Studio 11 / Music Creator 6 Touch / Fabfilter One / Aalto / Alchemy / Cumulus / Scanned Synth Pro / Consequence / EVE / Harmless / Ohmboyz / Mobilohm / Hematohm / Predatohm / Eos
KVRAF

Postby Frantz; Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

aciddose wrote:No, the confusion comes from you thinking "in the wild" means something it absolutely does not. I've seen "in the wild" used most often in nature documentaries. Do you think it wise to interpret this usage as "exploited by thieves" ?

I am talking about the phrase "in the wild" in the context of a security discussion. It is obvious you are not familiar with security terminology or the specifics of Heartbleed. This is ridiculous. I won't discuss it with you further.
KVRAF

18378 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:22 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

aciddose wrote:BTW: correction, the theory is it was introduced some time around 2011 and started to become widely utilized in the wild during the first quarter 2012.

First it was 2006, then its 2011/12.... you sound glazed over. Is your head in a cardboard box?

Any facts in this thread, or just hysteria....?
KVRAF

5561 posts since 8 May, 2008, from ssssskipping ......... I left you there

Postby standalone; Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 pm Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

Frantz is absolutely right and aciddose forgot to take his medicines, again:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=es-ES&g ... 22+exploit
"An Arrogant Instigator"
KVRian

1480 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:18 am Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

good thing i don't reuse passwords and keep them in a password manager whos database is stored on my own server that no one else knows exists.
From Russia with love
KVRAF

1655 posts since 5 Oct, 2005

Postby Acid Mitch; Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 am Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

Burillo wrote:good thing i don't reuse passwords and keep them in a password manager whos database is stored on my own server that no one else knows exists.

Is that the secret server that even KVR members don't know about ?
Best not mention it. :dog: :lol:
KVRAF

13572 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 am Re: Change your passwords.. NOW

May I suggest going back to knotted rope for those who are reality challenged? :hihi:
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic