tenage engineering op-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyway ..I have never been so divided about an instrument as the op-1.
Thing is this ..it's a a god damn funky nice device , sturdily build and lots of fun ..
But , a big but ...the quality of the synth algoritms is shit ....really ...compared to my modular and reaktor ...this thing sucks ...well not that hard ..
I mean , you can get nice results out of it , but there is always this high buzzy je ne sais quoi , also the control rate of the lfo ...is low .;I don't mean the lfo speed , but the internal rate at which they update ...
The dr wave synth , sounds horrible in the lower octaves..;again ..;a buzzy digital overtone slips in ..;almost notticeable in all synth algoritms ....
Control rate issue ...;fm synth set to pure sine ....modulate the sustain phase of the adsr with a value lfo .....zipper noise slips in ....conclusion : .....low update rate of the lfo
Al synth algo's are mediocre to say the least ...

So ..;I am bringing this nice looking polished turd back to the shop ....teenage engineering can contact me when they have updated their algoritms..
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

thanks for your impressions, i've been looking at this interestedly for a while, though i never seriously considered buying it. it seems like the best toy ever, but considering the price your feedback on the algos sounds disappointing.

btw, are you telegraphing your posts or something? all these dots......................:D

it's definitely a love it or hate it instrument. I love mine. I hate the shoddy IO board TE made for it (dead mics and dead speakers abound; my mic is dead), but I love the quirky little bastard and don't plan to sell it.
Meh.

Will there be an op-2 ?

op-1 been out for 2-3 years now, so it mght be time for Teenage Engineering to launch the sequel

Should have been €249

The price is absurd.

OP: Did you get the latest OS update?

Just checking the website now, and it seems they released an OS upgrade only a couple of weeks ago: http://www.teenageengineering.com/library

I thought a lot about buying one of these, but eventually decided its limitations would drive me crazy. The biggest deal breaker for me was the lack of sd card slot and only 500mb onboard memory :neutral:

Although I love the idea of having a small, portable, all-in-one piece of hardware that I can write full tunes on, I just don't feel this is quite there yet (and no, I don't want an ipad either :x )

toy for the rich. that's exactly what it is. no musician with a budget of any kind would buy this pos hardware.

AstralExistence wrote:toy for the rich. that's exactly what it is. no musician with a budget of any kind would buy this pos hardware.
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/jarre-synth
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

AstralExistence wrote:toy for the rich. that's exactly what it is. no musician with a budget of any kind would buy this pos hardware.
The difference between a pro and the rest is that a pro musician can make a toy instrument sound great, while the others make pro instruments sound like toys :) What I'm trying to say is: just because you see a product in a certain way, doesn't mean others do as well; sooner or later someone will push that thing beyond its original purpose & specs and then magic things happen - musically speaking :) As long as your music sounds good, it really doesn't matter what instruments you're using ;)

As for OP-1, it's way out of my budget, but I wouldn't mind owning one :) It's very important to have fun making music, and if such a "toy" can help you pass a bit of time AFK and inspire you to work on new ideas that you can record later with "pro" gear, then it's more valuable than anything else ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

On the other hand, it's built to military specs, so if you ever need to do a gig in an underwater war zone, OP-1 is going to be your instrument of choice.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

SLiC wrote:
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/jarre-synth
you made my point for me.'jarres' favorite synth not niles nobody with a wife and 2 kids who makes a bit over minimum wage living almost paycheck to paycheck.

idfpower wrote:
The difference between a pro and the rest is that a pro musician can make a toy instrument sound great, while the others make pro instruments sound like toys :) What I'm trying to say is: just because you see a product in a certain way, doesn't mean others do as well; sooner or later someone will push that thing beyond its original purpose & specs and then magic things happen - musically speaking :) As long as your music sounds good, it really doesn't matter what instruments you're using ;)

As for OP-1, it's way out of my budget, but I wouldn't mind owning one :) It's very important to have fun making music, and if such a "toy" can help you pass a bit of time AFK and inspire you to work on new ideas that you can record later with "pro" gear, then it's more valuable than anything else ;)
for that kind of price id have much more fun with a waldorf pulse, blofeld. but your right. some people would prefer the op1, and some people would prefer to spend that money on drugs. whatever floats your bloat.

Sendy wrote:On the other hand, it's built to military specs, so if you ever need to do a gig in an underwater war zone, OP-1 is going to be your instrument of choice.
ill remember that if we have ever have a draft and i need something to do while not running for my life.

If I could only afford either an ipad or an op1 for music, I would go ipad.

Fortunately, I have both :-) and the op-1 rules on the beach or any time I'm making music outdoors when the sun is out (rendering my ipad useless!). The op1 is an instrument, it's inspiring, frustrating, tactile and intuitive - it is the most fun I have had with any synth...

There are so many fun and interesting synths in the op1 I think people forget it's a pretty cool sampler, check this out

http://op-1samples.com.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”