After his mother died, he went to live with his grandmother

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

'epic' track for guitar and family argument
Last edited by woggle on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow, stunningly beautiful… and frightening as it progresses. Amazing work Greg.
Image Image

quiet, contemplative, peaceful but with flashes of uncertainty. I'm with Mr. Slax. This takes a really dark turn at the end. My heart goes out to you and yours if that's any part of your reality.

polyslax wrote:Wow, stunningly beautiful… and frightening as it progresses. Amazing work Greg.
thanks Matthew, it is a bit frightening at the end, incredibly sad for me too as that is a recording of our old neighbours. Not happy lives.

ecamburn wrote:quiet, contemplative, peaceful but with flashes of uncertainty. I'm with Mr. Slax. This takes a really dark turn at the end. My heart goes out to you and yours if that's any part of your reality.
Hi ecamburn - thanks, yeah sad for sure - our neighbours from a few years ago, the mother was a junkie, died from an overdose and her son was brought up by her mother who was way too old for the job - and perhaps not the right sort of person anyway.
Carrying the crap down through the generations

Reminds me a bit of the music from the game Limbo with those slow, pensive washes.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Hauntingly disturbing. The title(s) let`s us in on the secret...'no telling what`s around the corner.' A tale of life`s turbulence.

A word on the production;
- I thought it would be more leveled to listen to at lower volumes if you used some compression. The difference between the quietest and loudest sounds are somewhat extreme. At lower listening levels the quietest sounds disappear.
- I wanted to hear what was being said, but I couldn`t make it out.
- I felt I wanted to hear a longer fade...1 min or more. You took my emotion to a high degree, but didn`t leave enough time for reflection at it`s end.

Very strong art piece. Very creatively realized and inflected. Sorry to see no dload available. :(
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:Hauntingly disturbing. The title(s) let`s us in on the secret...'no telling what`s around the corner.' A tale of life`s turbulence.

A word on the production;
- I thought it would be more leveled to listen to at lower volumes if you used some compression. The difference between the quietest and loudest sounds are somewhat extreme. At lower listening levels the quietest sounds disappear.
- I wanted to hear what was being said, but I couldn`t make it out.
- I felt I wanted to hear a longer fade...1 min or more. You took my emotion to a high degree, but didn`t leave enough time for reflection at it`s end.

Very strong art piece. Very creatively realized and inflected. Sorry to see no dload available. :(
Hi annode - thanks for the listen and the detailed reply
annode wrote: A word on the production;
- I thought it would be more levelled to listen to at lower volumes if you used some compression. The difference between the quietest and loudest sounds are somewhat extreme. At lower listening levels the quietest sounds disappear.
(
I do think about that issue but tend to higher dynamic range (I come from a classical music listening background where there is a higher dynamic range compared to pop/rock etc) In particular with this piece I am happy to have it move from straining to listen to straining to avoid - fits conceptually for me
annode wrote: - I wanted to hear what was being said, but I couldn`t make it out.
(
that's another tricky trade off - I don't actually want you to hear that much other than the emotionality - in other words the conversational meaning of the words gets overwhelmed by the emotion - again for me that fits better conceptually and artistically by frustrating the listener desire for a literal meaning which is a type of closure I don't want the piece to convey.
Similarly for
annode wrote: - I felt I wanted to hear a longer fade...1 min or more. You took my emotion to a high degree, but didn`t leave enough time for reflection at it`s end.
(
I thought of a few alternative endings and still may change it - but again I was avoiding a sense of closure to the piece.

thanks again for the feedback, you really hit some important points that were part of the process for me for sure

Sendy wrote:Reminds me a bit of the music from the game Limbo with those slow, pensive washes.
My son thought it sounded like something from a game as well - can't remember which game, wasn't Limbo, something else

I can respect that, just my take.
No dload?

annode wrote:I can respect that, just my take.
No dload?
Here's a version for you :)

the download will only last a couple of hours - I'll be releasing this on an album with other guitar based tracks when I get a few more tracks. Then you'll have to pay what you want :) https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/after ... r-died-his

Thanks very much Greg. I have a 'best of kvr' folder, and I only save the exceptional efforts. Renamed the mp3 to you and it`s proper title.

annode wrote:Thanks very much Greg. I have a 'best of kvr' folder, and I only save the exceptional efforts. Renamed the mp3 to you and it`s proper title.
high praise indeed! - thanks.
I'll listen to both versions in a few days when I can be a bit more objective - maybe the 'annode' version will just become 'the' version :)

I'll listen to both versions in a few days when I can be a bit more objective - maybe the 'annode' version will just become 'the' version :)
BTW, forgot to say - 'if the others come out as well in sound and vision as this track, i`ll be interested indeed'. Hope I don`t miss that future post! I`ll try to keep up at the cafe.
BTW again, isn`t this dload the same version or were you just saying you`d look into some of what I suggested? I didn`t listen to the dload as yet...late night and all.

the download is the version for you - compressed it some more and raised the vocals maybe 3 dB across one section

Return to “Music Cafe”