MusicRadar, eh... What's your top 10? (&5)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We all know the list is BS, but it can be useful in raising awareness of some less well known synths. Good to see Spire getting a decent look in, it's well worth a top 5 spot.

I must have installed Synthmaster 4 times now thinking I need a fresh listen, and each time I've removed it within 30 mins. Still don't get the appeal.

db3 wrote:We all know the list is BS, but it can be useful in raising awareness of some less well known synths. Good to see Spire getting a decent look in, it's well worth a top 5 spot.

I must have installed Synthmaster 4 times now thinking I need a fresh listen, and each time I've removed it within 30 mins. Still don't get the appeal.
I agree on both accounts.

I wonder which quirks they mean regarding Spire...

Sampleconstruct wrote:The ranking in that list is bewildering to say the least. But as much as the top ten in the billboard charts say nothing about the quality of music, this list says nothing about the quality of a given synth. The top 3:pffffft.....
Well, it's Music Radar's reader's list. I don't know about you but Music Radar isn't the first place I go for plug-in instrument info. It's probably heavily weighted by trance/dubstep kiddies who all downloaded the same cracked version of Sylenth1 their hero DJ Martin Garrix uses in the Future Music Magazine interview.

Like everything, if you want the tenderloin, you've got to hack though a lot of cow.

[edit] I didn't mean to call Sylenth1, or any of the instruments listed a "cow" and I'm sure they all have appeal even though maybe not to me. I like Sylenth a lot but I doubt I'd list it as number one in any list. Frankly I have no idea why people like Saurus, but there it is. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I can't imagine why some might. It could just be a matter of great presets.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I think you have to factor in that most likely, many of these votes are from people who do not check out the latest synths all the time, and just vote for what they are used to, or what they see other popular musicians using.

For example, Sylenth1 has gained so many loyal enthusiasts over the years that it probably has a 10:1 voting ratio compared to the other soft synths on the list.

I don't agree with the Musicradar list. But if it helps some people make up their minds on what they need then all the power to them.
:borg:

synthmaster
z3ta

Those are the only 2 I have on the list but I want
minimonsta all the native instrument, AAS, Korg, Arturia, Diva, Zebra, East West, OPX pro and xils lab stuff plus VB3 for organs.

Yeah, I'd agree... But as you guys said, it's cool for seeing something you may have missed.

Top 5 in no particular order.

Zebra

Diva

Lush - Yes, I always said I'd buy it again, if they fixed the screen, and they did! :)

Nemisis

Gladiator - love programing this thing, it's lots of fun.

Sylenth is great, but I don't think it should be at the top.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Got a heap load of the list my shortlist :

Always use:
Diva, Zebra2(+HZ), Ace = cant dispute these are such good go to plugins, nice presets and versatile tweaking. They just sound great. Inspirational starting point.
Omnisphere/Trillian = my fill in synth, great for finding stock sounds, some excellent 3rd party presets out there
Spire = 3rd party presets are starting to accumulate (like sylenth), still waiting for the CPU overhead and multithreading/vst would be great.
Reaktors Monark (love razor for some fun),although I am not totally convinced of its sound, maybe Im not a Moog fan but fills the desire button.

Like to use but dont find myself implementing into tracks, more of a fun visit:
Vanguard, Sylenth, Massive, Vanguard (yep still like this one), PPGWave3, Camel Audio (should use this more not sure why I dont).

Want to use more but room for improvement :
Diversion (please sort out the clicking when changing patches my speakers hate you, CPU usage and vst3 would be amazing) I am holding out with this one.
Synthmaster2.5 again a collage of diversion and spire needs more tweaking adn I dont like the GUi but that's asthetics!
d16 Lush most of the above.

Alright I'll play..but just with the FX

For mixing effects
Equilibrium
Compassion
The Drop
The Glue
Satin
Uhbik
Nectar
Trash
ValhallaRoom
ValhallaVintageVerb

Honestly I think that's all any recording artist would really need to make a decent sounding album ITB. I purposely left off any mastering software since I believe it's best to send it off to a mastering house.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

The ones that see regular use here, in no particular order:
Diva
Zebra
Massive
Blue II
Wavestation
Omnisphere

Used here and there:
ACE
DCAM
PPG Wavegenerator
Sylenth
Monark

Constantly-used effects:
EA Phoenixverb
Relab LX480
The Glue
The Drop
Satin
Uhbiks
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

lists are fun; if nothing else, they spark debate, discussion...arguments (altho NOT at kvr of course...).

my top 5 (no particular order, and...subject to change):

zebra
spire
absynth (which i just added this week)
massive
saurus

Diva
Alchemy
Synth Squad
LuSH-101
Monark

Those are my favorites. I haven't played around with Zebra or ACE though.

Geist
Massive
TALBassline-101
Sylenth

Apart from HW and free player versions don't own anything else. Don't need anything else either, that's more than enough

in no order

Alchemy
Gladiator
Z3ta+ 2
Rapture
Spire, this one gets 99% of my time in the past months.

others i have yet to get to know that i own that im sure will find their place

Rayblaster
Harmor
Synthmaster

Although I might sell all the VST instruments I have (because I begin to think that Reason is enough for me!) :eek:
For now the VSTi are:
1. Massive (this is what I voted for in their poll)
2. Retrologue
3. Razor
4. Monark
5. Padshop pro
6. Korg Legacy synths

VST effects:
I usually use the host's effects (Nomad Factory Blue Tubes bundle, that comes with Sonar, is great)

Return to “Instruments”