Look! Four Hands!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A set of experimental miniatures for two pianos.

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... four-hands

Initially percussive piano pieces are like eating broccoli, good for you but not a lot of fun. But on my 3rd and 4th listens, I started to really enjoy the whole thing. "Almost Home" is worth special mention but I think the entire set works very well together. Good job. :tu:

Cool effect. Instant Van Cliburn/Rachmaninoff .
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Many thanks to both for the feedback...

Frantz:

You listened 3 or 4 times ...thank you very much...not the 'easiest' set of music I've ever produced...I suspect that my 'ambient' phase is over for now! :0)

Annode:
I'm flattered by the comparison you make with those two truly great pianists, but I'm not even in the same universe! (I suspect you knew this though)! :0)

My technique sucks big time, (totally self-taught at the keyboard, despite my classical music training in other areas), and I simply used the wonders of modern technology to help me create these performances.

I simply used the wonders of modern technology to help me create these performances.
Your style of voicings and 1/8th or 16th note chord repetitions, as in the four hands motif, reminded me of Cliburn playing Rachmaninoff. I`m not sure how your doing the midi repetitions, but was aware you were doing something midi generated.
If you wanted to share that, i`m interested. If not that`s ok too. A very cool effect.
Love to hear that effect used with more experimental musical genres as well. :)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Various methods...

TEMPER TANTRUM:
1) I played the piece deliberately more like a drum beat with fills! I actually played along with a very carefully programmed drum track of my own and used the timings as a guide to my playing!
2) I played it a lot slower than the final version.
3) It rapidly morphs through various modes and scales...some more obvious, such as Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian etc, some more obscure and based on ideas from the composer Messiaen.
4) Once this was all sketched out, ( the initial chords used only 3 or 4 notes for the main part), I stretched the voicing of the two pianos using a simple system that treated each and every note of every chord as if it was actually a root note. With this in mind, I then added in extra notes via a set pattern.
5) Final version was stamped with MIDI timings (20%) / velocity settings (30%) from my initial programmed drum pattern, just too add some extra ooomph!

Hope that sort of makes sense?

Well you asked! :0)

Return to “Music Cafe”