When did you give up the guitar for bass?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A buddy of mine is playing what he believes will be his last guitar gig. He started playing guitar and picked up the bass many years back. He's a great guitarist and a damn fine bassist. The bass gigs keep on coming but the guitar gigs kept on getting fewer and far between. He gets about three to four gigs a week as a bassist. His last paying gig as a guitarist was six years ago.

I've known quite a number of multi-instrumentalists who have travelled down that path. Where by even though their first love was guitar they switched to bass for financial reasons and didn't look back.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

something similar is happening to me and it's pretty damn ugly: a group of my friends asked me if I played bass with them, now they are excited about my style but basically it's frustrating, first because I hate doing covers and hate even more to play them 3 nights a week in pubs (imagine that breaking the balls play hotel california every 2 nights for 30\35 euros per session\night), there is nothing artistic in everything, that is, in doing covers; second because as a guitarist I feel downgraded... But in my town bassists are so SNOB!!! -_-

tapper mike wrote: I've known quite a number of multi-instrumentalists who have travelled down that path. Where by even though their first love was guitar they switched to bass for financial reasons and didn't look back.
Funny question. I would have thought it would be the other way around. It was for me.

Most start on Bass coz it has less strings. There. I don't know of any one that ever considered financial reasons for playing an instrument. How odd.

I was typical. I started playing Bass coz it only had four strings. And four strings is easier than six. I learned how to play Black Sabbath's back catalog in a year, so it was time to move on. What a fool I was. Not that Geezer Butler can't teach you everything you ever need to learn about Bass. But I was a young fool.

I practiced eight hours a day. Every day. Round wound strings on a Fender Precision copy with the pick guard ripped off. A tortoise shell pick.

Then, when I had learned everything there was to know about the Bass Guitar, I traded it in for a six string. A Manic Street Preachers type White Gibson Les Paul clone. Shit guitar. Bad copy. Did the trick though. Eight hours, still, every day. No amp. That would come years later.

I studied my scales. Had no one to give me lessons. This time I learned everything by Tony Iommi as opposed to Geezer Butler. We got on well together. I could learn that stuff. Like I could learn Led Zeppelin stuff. Jimmy Page was never an enigma for me. I could deconstruct his riffs after very little work. Alex Lifeson from Rush however, was a waste of time. Absolutely impossible. He plays like air. There were no riffs to be found. Then again, no one remembers a Rush riff. Everyone knows Black Dog or Whole lotta love. Easy peasy. Nice and easy.

Time to get a keyboard now.

Took over a decade for that one. Keyboards were for rich people. Really rich people. And synthesizers were for really really rich people (when they finally became common place).

I was never a very good Bass or Guitar player, despite so much practice. For most people it would propel them close to virtuoso level, but I just never had any rhythm (still don't). But that is what gives me my unique style. Hard won.

Still, can't say I know of one person that ever gave up guitar for bass.

I still play both. Badly. In my unique style. I can hold it down, but I'm only third grade. Having said that, I can fit in and meld with a band if I have to. More than some prima donna sensitive soul.

After so many hours spent alone, practicing, no matter how shit I am, these instruments are a part of me now. I play with great guitar players sometimes. We get on fine. I appreciate them, and they appreciate me. Just know your place, whether bass or guitar.

Turello wrote:But in my town bassists are so SNOB!!! -_-
Could be worse.

Could be Jazz Trumpeters!

Then you would know what a snob is.

Then again. They will whore themselves out for a hundred bucks.

It's best not to associate with other musicians. Avoid them. I mean just look at all those musicians avoiding all the other musicians. There must be a reason for that.

I pretty much gave up guitar for digital guitar. It's quiet and futuristic, while my cat doesn't care for the volume of a real guitar.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

worse? don't believe

SNOB are a neo-latin word (sine-nobilis= without humbleness) cause they believe to have the saint Graal, the secret of the music (but they still plays covers band!!!)

Personally I like to play\associate with other creative musicians... but to do my music ...
I do not want to get to 80 years old still playing covers... :dog:

Forget I said anything.

I almost feel ashamed for sharing this bit of personal life with you.

Was it attention whoring?

Mmm..

I could delete it and leave a hole.

Who would care?

I wasn't looking for any kind of feedback.

Learned that.

Call me a c**t if you like. I suppose I am a bit. Answering a post on kvr. What a f**ker I am.

Ah well.

ah well....

:?

It's ok, it's not important. Even though it is serious.

@codec_spurt: I hope you have not offended because it was absolutely not my intention... If I understand correctly are just different points of view... unfortunately (or luckily?) I am (feel) not a performer or a session musician but a composer and it's just frustrating to play covers but really, take it easy! PEACE! ^_^

Turello wrote:@codec_spurt: I hope you have not offended because it was absolutely not my intention... If I understand correctly are just different points of view... unfortunately (or luckily?) I am (feel) not a performer or a session musician but a composer and it's just frustrating to play covers but really, take it easy! PEACE! ^_^
No, I wasn't offended. By anyone.

I just feel a bit silly about showing my soul.

Oh well, it gets less and less.

There is nothing but love and giving in my heart tonight.

Anyway, :-)

Oh, glad to know and excuse my f.....g\poor english!

Here 3:23 (very late!) so goodnight all! :-)

codec_spurt wrote:
Turello wrote:@codec_spurt: I hope you have not offended because it was absolutely not my intention... If I understand correctly are just different points of view... unfortunately (or luckily?) I am (feel) not a performer or a session musician but a composer and it's just frustrating to play covers but really, take it easy! PEACE! ^_^
No, I wasn't offended. By anyone.

I just feel a bit silly about showing my soul.
and yet I feel fortunate to be able to read it and get to know a fellow KvR'r a little better, nothing silly there imo :shrug:

edit: but I dont accept the premise you play anything badly
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

The Subject line question could be considered somewhat offensive.. as if the bass is a secondary instrument! hah! :-P

I got the bass to play the bass. I didn't really consider a lead electric; I don't like regular electric lead guitar. I enjoy groove, flow, and bottom end. Even if I am pretty amateur at the bass, it is still my first pick between plucked string instruments. And that should be seen as a positive situation too, I think. If we all wanted to play lead guitar, there would be a problem band-wise. :hihi:

IF I gave up guitar for bass....it would be because of live jazz trios and four-piece outfits (drums, bass, keys, with optional sax). Seeing bassists go off on an improv and play arpeggios of crazy altered chords does something to me. It's magical 8)

It worked out okay for Paul McCartney.

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”