Sonic Academy Kick v2 Available now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kick - Nicky Romero Artist Edition Kick 2

brok landers wrote:Phil Sonic Academy, i am normally not that type of guy who says "i will buy it if you include [put your feature here]", but this time i will :) :
seriously, 6 things that really would complete this plugin from my experience as a sounddesigner.

1. the sine body generator imo needs an adjustable delay in milliseconds, for the body content to perfectly align with the chosen click sample. a phase shift will _not_ do it (just before you ask), as it´s the start position that has to be editable as a delay in milliseconds [or as an alternative, in samples, if real fine tuning is needed), so that one can align the body portion according to the selected click sample. from my experience, the range in miliseconds varies within max. 10 milliseconds. that´s mostly way enough to "delay" the body content. this does _wonders_ to the attack of the whole kick.

2. the lenght slider below the display right now is hardwired to _all_ envelopes. which often is a nice thing and good to have, but alternatively, if the pitch env is already set up correctly, i often only would want to alter the length of the amplitue env. which often is also perfectly set up, but needs to be shortened, according to the bass content of the track you´re using the kick in.

3. for really detailled editing i would love to see 4 things:
- zooming on the env´s for easier finetuning
- [modifier key] click on a node point to allow movement of the node _only_ vertically
- and another [modifier] click to allow movement of the node _only_ horizontally
- [modifier key] click for fine tuning of an envelope´s node position

is there a chance for these things to be implemented?
because to _me_ this then would be the perfect kick construction plugin.
i can do all od this right now with various tools, that´s not the problem, but your plugin is fast, easy and convenient, so i could get rid of all the different stuff i would need, to do the same thing just in one plugin.

just asking, don´t feel bothered...
Brok, I'm just wondering what tools you use already for creating kicks?
You are currently reading my signature.

it really depends... i often use synths for the bottom and a highpassed sample for the attack... sometimes there´s even more layering going in, it depends on the track. however, this can be achieved with a lot of plugins, i even did convincing kicks with synth1... in the end, when the production is finished, i render them as one sample...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers wrote: 1. the sine body generator imo needs an adjustable delay in milliseconds, for the body content to perfectly align with the chosen click sample. a phase shift will _not_ do it (just before you ask), as it´s the start position that has to be editable as a delay in milliseconds [or as an alternative, in samples, if real fine tuning is needed), so that one can align the body portion according to the selected click sample. from my experience, the range in miliseconds varies within max. 10 milliseconds. that´s mostly way enough to "delay" the body content. this does _wonders_ to the attack of the whole kick.
I don't actually own Kick but have just been watching the long tutorial vid right now after friend suggested to check it out and it seems to me with those envelope generators that you can set the first point at 0 amp and then start the amp volume sharply later, so in that sense its creating a delay that way. Whether that actually sounds as good or if that creates a start phase issue not sure. Anyone actually using it confirm?

Would be nice if in Amp mode it did display the ms time for each of the points, and the other suggestion of overlayed transparent pitch graph behind the Amp (and vice verse when in Pitch mode) would be great, as well as your suggestion of an option of un-linking the length.

For its price point though it looks like a bargain, tempted to get this.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Arksun wrote:
brok landers wrote: 1. the sine body generator imo needs an adjustable delay in milliseconds, for the body content to perfectly align with the chosen click sample. a phase shift will _not_ do it (just before you ask), as it´s the start position that has to be editable as a delay in milliseconds [or as an alternative, in samples, if real fine tuning is needed), so that one can align the body portion according to the selected click sample. from my experience, the range in miliseconds varies within max. 10 milliseconds. that´s mostly way enough to "delay" the body content. this does _wonders_ to the attack of the whole kick.
I don't actually own Kick but have just been watching the long tutorial vid right now after friend suggested to check it out and it seems to me with those envelope generators that you can set the first point at 0 amp and then start the amp volume sharply later, so in that sense its creating a delay that way. >snip<
sadly that´s not sufficient, as you would cut off the attack of the pitch env, as well as the start point in the sine (kick synth) would be altered. no, in order to achieve what i´m talking about there has to be a phase slider which allowes you to edit the phase precisely to fit to the sample content, as well as a sample/milliseconds delay, to shift the kick synth part.
this is really going a long way. often, when a kick isn´t working (when it´s made with a sine kick synth plus an overlayed sample), exactly those 2 issues are the reason. i did kicks since years like this, and that was 99% the thing that one had to get right and then the kick just suddenly worked out.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

Is it not possible to draw a straight horizontal line between the first two points in the Pitch envelope thus starting the pitch slide later?

A latency knob to delay the start of the sub relative to the click, as well as a phase knob to determine the initial start phase of the sine would be great yes.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Wish the scrolling behaviour for selecting Clicks could be changed - its just tedious to scroll to the bottom of the list of clicks :(

I couldn't find a demo download or manual for KICK and also couldn't find a way to contact Sonic Academy directly. I am considering purchasing KICK, but want to make sure it can be triggered by a sidechain from another drum application. Does anyone know if KICK can be triggered with a sidechain input?

I don't understand why I can't end the tail to the sharp keys, like G#, I can only choose G or A. What if my rootkey is G#..

What are the new features of 1.02? Or are they just bugfixes? Does the new version alter older patches?

Wildfunk wrote:What are the new features of 1.02? Or are they just bugfixes? Does the new version alter older patches?
good question. if they would maybe have included my feature request (option to delay the body synth in samples/msec and startpoint trimming of the sample part), that would be a reason for me to buy it...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

I downloaded the new version last night. It's listed as beta on the site. I installed it and it would not run (FL and Live) - both before and after re-licensing. Not sure why. Reverted back to v1.01.

EDIT: note, I was using (trying to use) the 64-bit version. I cannot speak for the 32-bit version.

brok landers wrote:Phil Sonic Academy, i am normally not that type of guy who says "i will buy it if you include [put your feature here]", but this time i will :) :
seriously, 6 things that really would complete this plugin from my experience as a sounddesigner.

1. the sine body generator imo needs an adjustable delay in milliseconds, for the body content to perfectly align with the chosen click sample. a phase shift will _not_ do it (just before you ask), as it´s the start position that has to be editable as a delay in milliseconds [or as an alternative, in samples, if real fine tuning is needed), so that one can align the body portion according to the selected click sample. from my experience, the range in miliseconds varies within max. 10 milliseconds. that´s mostly way enough to "delay" the body content. this does _wonders_ to the attack of the whole kick.

2. the lenght slider below the display right now is hardwired to _all_ envelopes. which often is a nice thing and good to have, but alternatively, if the pitch env is already set up correctly, i often only would want to alter the length of the amplitue env. which often is also perfectly set up, but needs to be shortened, according to the bass content of the track you´re using the kick in.

3. for really detailled editing i would love to see 4 things:
- zooming on the env´s for easier finetuning
- [modifier key] click on a node point to allow movement of the node _only_ vertically
- and another [modifier] click to allow movement of the node _only_ horizontally
- [modifier key] click for fine tuning of an envelope´s node position

is there a chance for these things to be implemented?
because to _me_ this then would be the perfect kick construction plugin.
i can do all od this right now with various tools, that´s not the problem, but your plugin is fast, easy and convenient, so i could get rid of all the different stuff i would need, to do the same thing just in one plugin.

just asking, don´t feel bothered...
That's exactly the features I'd like to see implemented too. What's the current status of the plugin development? Minor fixes only?

OP seems not to visit his own threads here? Too bad.. ..not very tempting to buy.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I hope no one minds, but I have taken the liberty to customise the Flavours of Lime skin to something darker and tech looking.

With many thanks to Anders of course as it is his skin that I could take from and build on. For this reason his credits remain in the 'About' pop-up window.

murnau wrote:OP seems not to visit his own threads here? Too bad.. ..not very tempting to buy.
The official SonicAcademy forum for Kick is a bit of a ghost town too.

Its a shame cos this is probably the best plugin of its ilk but there's a few areas that could really do with improvement.

Return to “Instruments”