POLL: Which Kontakt version do you use?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Which Kontakt version do you use?

Kontakt 5.3 (Win)
42%
Kontakt 5.x (Win)
9%
Kontakt 4 (Win)
22%
Kontakt 5.3 (Mac)
18%
Kontakt 5.x (Mac)
5%
Kontakt 4 (Mac)
5%

Total votes: 88

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fine, but this is saying 'it's too much a PITA to create more than the one version' vs my 'I don't know, I don't care'. About really high polyphony in the time stretch engine, for one. It's a type of accelerated 'improvement' which you just showed botched something to begin with.

You may disagree but I think were I developing content for it I would approach it with less enthusiasm for the new or at least make it available in principle to more users. I follow developers closely, if there is new scripting I can use it's worth it, though.

The sample from KVR may or may not be a universal indicator. Restricted to one vote, I went with 'Mac, K4'. I use templates and I have no reason to convert the 4.2.4 things upwards. I don't fix what isn't broken. You're more interested in Kontakt qua itself, so you have a different worldview.

soniceldorado wrote:Hello everyone!

We're about to update and develop new sample libraries.

Therefore we would like to ask the KVR community which version of Native Instruments Kontakt you're using at the moment?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daniel
I voted K5.3 but also use K4 when necessary.

I do not recommend updating any current instruments to the latest Kontakt because of the compatibility issues. You may aggravate some people if they cannot use the update because they do not have the necessary version.

I wouldn't hesitate creating new libraries with the latest version, although you may lose some buyers unwilling to upgrade their current Kontakt version.

JM2C

Good luck with your project!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

K4 here, I'm not planning to upgrade to 5 for various reasons.

To get the biggest market, build them in Kontakt 4 wherever possible. You can always then load them in Kontakt 5 and create more instruments using any K5-specific features.

At least one sounds designer takes that approach. And other designers stay with Kontakt 4 - kudos to them.

It looks to me that people (yes, including me) are not always updating to the latest major version of Kontakt.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

The new filters in K5 are enough of a reason (esp. if you're a sound designer) to go K5 instead of K4, at least IMHO. Tronsonic, for example, is on K5 mostly because of this.

Hollow Sun might be there too, soon.

EvilDragon wrote:The new filters in K5 are enough of a reason (esp. if you're a sound designer) to go K5 instead of K4, at least IMHO. Tronsonic, for example, is on K5 mostly because of this.

From a sound designer viewpoint this is true.

From the user viewpoint who just wants to play the sounds, not so true, dollar wise especially.

I have made each upgrade but TBH I really don't need them. I mean, I need Kontakt, no doubt, but in the case of the last upgrade (K4 to K5) this only happened because of a library I just had to have was made in K5.

To me, the way I use Kontakt, I don't notice the difference between models.

To someone like yourself there is a huge difference, no doubt.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

EvilDragon wrote:The new filters in K5 are enough of a reason (esp. if you're a sound designer) to go K5 instead of K4, at least IMHO. Tronsonic, for example, is on K5 mostly because of this.

Absolutely - I think if you're doing anything synth related, it's kind of a must to try K5's filters out (the Ladders and Daft in particular are my favs). The extra gui space is of course great.
Other features I also like are K5's tape saturator and excellent bus compressor.
Last edited by tsonic on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

most people have latest komplete i think thats what shows in the poll.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:most people have latest komplete i think thats what shows in the poll.
Agreed.

This is pretty interesting. So far all our offerings are 4.2.3-compatible, but I have to admit I'd be very tempted to incorporate the new filters and the tape saturator in some of our stuff.

Thing is, Mongo still suffers flashbacks to 'Nam, and his mantra is "leave no man behind"... and apparently that includes folks still running outdated hostware :D

All the best,

The Professor (and Mongo)

EvilDragon wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I'm still on 3.5. Mac.
Damn, v3 was the buggiest Kontakt ever. Run to the hills! It's safe to say now that there will be no more K3 libraries produced, so you should upgrade.
I'm lucky and special like that. :-P Well, that explains the crashes I've had on importing certain file types. Sigh.

When I buy a new Mac, part of the expense will be the software upgrades I'll have to buy to get everything all happy with Mavericks and Logic X. It'll happen eventually, but it might be a while yet. Being poor sucks even more when all your hobbies are technology-bound.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

the professor wrote:Thing is, Mongo still suffers flashbacks to 'Nam, and his mantra is "leave no man behind"... and apparently that includes folks still running outdated hostware :D
best excuse so far! :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

no 2.21? Still using that some for drums overkill library :lol:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

murnau wrote:
the professor wrote:Thing is, Mongo still suffers flashbacks to 'Nam, and his mantra is "leave no man behind"... and apparently that includes folks still running outdated hostware :D
best excuse so far! :lol:
He still sees Akais hiding in the trees when he closes his eyes, apparently :o

Very slightly more seriously, the endless round of upgrades and fixes for things that ain't broke bugs me. At least when you bought a hardware sampler or sequencer you had something that stuck with you. Hell, even my Atari ST and Notator ran solidly until the monitor exploded; I think I had them for about eight years, and I don't remember upgrading Notator once during that time. So there's part of me that's resistant to being a "force for change" (i.e. by supplying soundware in Kontakt 5.x format) when I know there are some people, even a minority, who are more than happy with 4.x and don't want to be lashed to the upgrade bandwagon... :ud:

who are more than happy with 4.x and don't want to be lashed to the upgrade bandwagon...

yeah, its kinda like all the soundbanks do kontakts advertising for them and only reason to upgrade :lol:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”