BlaDe Runner CS80 synth brass patch - anyone create a close copy with a softsynth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@brok landers:you nailed it! excellent stuff!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

quantum7 wrote: SIMESF- That DCAM patch is 90% there. Thanks! I actually own it and just pulled it up a few minutes ago. I almost forgot about that since I haven't used DCAM in a long time.
I can't remember what that patch was about, but try this one, could be closer. If you'd like it I can give it to you via PM.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com/stuff/ ... _brass.mp3

Two notes have wrong attack though, not sure why are re-triggering like that. Hmm...
Last edited by himalaya on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Heard this one before and each time it's a great listen! 8)
I couldn't be bothered to control the dynamics in my patch the way you do, masterfully, in yours.

himalaya wrote:
Heard this one before and each time it's a great listen! 8)
I couldn't be bothered to control the dynamics in my patch the way you do, masterfully, in yours.
well, i´s actually quite easy to do this with aftertouch, it´s no big editing. it´s just a matter of scaling the amount of aftertouch in the synth, so that you have the proper range when playing. also, often vangelis (and iirc i did that too in that hypersonic preset), also uses aftertouch on the amp. on top of that, he was a master in working with volume pedals, as back then, before the cs80, that was the only way to alter the volume dynamics in a human sounding way. i have one, but i never managed to really use it correctly, it´s really not that easy to make it sound as good as vangelis used it to great dynamic alterings... one really has to learn it. the guys who played these analog organs in the 70´s naturally had to learn this, as, if they wouldn´t, everything would sound quite static.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

I used aftertouch to get a different tone on the pitch glide at the end. I was more referring to the velocity control which I didn't do well.

Interesting that you mention Vangelis' use of pedals....I never use them but ought to, really. Which reminds me to get some continuous control pedals.

Two keyboard players that I've seen use pedals in their rigs are Vangelis and Rick Wakeman. If you're not using pedals, imo, you're missing out on a whole additional level of control. This is NOT directed at you, Himalaya... I'm just saying in general. I also agree with Brok, when playing one of those older organs you really didn't have a lot of additional controllers (e.g. the keyboards did not have aftertouch... heck, they did not even have velocity. So, the volume pedal was it. When you get used to a volume pedal it quickly becomes second nature (ymmv)... it's almost like you can breathe with the sound to make it come alive (if that makes sense). In that regard, a breath controller sounds like it would be a really useful tool as well. Though I can't say that I've ever personally explored that particular option. But yeah, these are all just extra tools to add to the "bag of tricks" so I think they definitely bear exploring.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Sequent wrote:In that regard, a breath controller sounds like it would be a really useful tool as well.
Don't get caught with one of those live, or it'll look like you're constantly testing yourself for blood alcohol level.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

I use pedals and wouldn't want to do without them. I've used breath controllers too but had problems using them - (the diaphragms are too resistant and each breath gets progressively harder to do, plus the holding it with your teeth ridge got old even quicker, the 'head-string' got in the way when you had to go between using it and still sing backups too). I can live without those.

BBFG# wrote:I've used breath controllers too but had problems using them - (the diaphragms are too resistant and each breath gets progressively harder to do, plus the holding it with your teeth ridge got old even quicker, the 'head-string' got in the way when you had to go between using it and still sing backups too)
Those problems you mentioned are typical of old generation analogue breath controllers such as the Yamaha BC3, and are eliminated very effectively by the totally flexible, nonlinear pressure sensitivity adjustment of our microcontroller based breath controllers, which also use modern, state of the art and very sensitive/stable piezoelectric pressure transducers.

You can see the nonlinear adjustment in the video below starting at 10 min 23 sec

http://youtu.be/Wm-U44kNtmI?t=10m23s

TEControl wrote:
BBFG# wrote:I've used breath controllers too but had problems using them - (the diaphragms are too resistant and each breath gets progressively harder to do, plus the holding it with your teeth ridge got old even quicker, the 'head-string' got in the way when you had to go between using it and still sing backups too)
Those problems you mentioned are typical of old generation analogue breath controllers such as the Yamaha BC3, and are eliminated very effectively by the totally flexible, nonlinear pressure sensitivity adjustment of our microcontroller based breath controllers, which also use modern, state of the art and very sensitive/stable piezoelectric pressure transducers.

You can see the nonlinear adjustment in the video below starting at 10 min 23 sec

http://youtu.be/Wm-U44kNtmI?t=10m23s
Thanks, that looks interesting. Like the guy mentioned, I would want 'bite control' (embouchure pressure) also. And I would also like to see their solution for keeping it readily available in live use for those needing to switch between it and vocals. (something like a harmonica or mic: head/neck brace.)
Estimated price?

torley!!! :lol: great guy btw..

very intersting breathcontroller! i think i will try out!

ps. BBFG# there's a headset available already.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

BBFG# wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:So, once you got that sound, then what? When you use it everyone will think of you as a wannabe Vangelis 8)
Well, yeah, there is that!
Probably has a lot to do with why I actually don't use them.
:shrug:
The guy who wrote the soundtrack for The Machine (2013) doesn't seem to mind.

BTW, the solo sound (reminiscent of a harmonica) in Blade Runner Blues is something I never heard before or since. How is it achieved? I presume it's the CS-80 again? Anyone?

Alex

Alex Cremers wrote: BTW, the solo sound (reminiscent of a harmonica) in Blade Runner Blues is something I never heard before or since. How is it achieved? I presume it's the CS-80 again? Anyone?

Alex
Try this thread
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163858

I swear there's one in the myriad Omnisphere presets. I ran across it the other day.

Alex Cremers wrote:BTW, the solo sound (reminiscent of a harmonica) in Blade Runner Blues is something I never heard before or since. How is it achieved? I presume it's the CS-80 again? Anyone?
http://www.amazona.de/interview-michael ... plikant/5/
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”