Free General GM Set?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let me know if you have this set for download, inclusive the heli ! ;-)
Very much intrested !
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

Thanks for trying to help Evilantal. I avoided that site for the reasons mentioned since I don't quite know what is really his (I think some of it is his own samples) and what is ripped off (some I'm virtually sure are). It's interesting being a sort of Freebie Indy Producer (FIP I like that). I've pulled down some old synth type instruments that others give away or even sell because of all the grey areas with Roland, Korg and others. I also try to credit the sampler in the instruments and on my blog or in other posts and give the correct designation for public domain or CC or whatever. Still some of the licenses are so weird you kind of shake your head. The Philharmonia has actually changed their license as you can find the exact same samples from them on archive.org under a different license and both of those contradict the Creative Commons they claim covers their samples. Anyway all that to say I understand that chap's temptations to acquire a few more samples than the law will allow and I thank him for the bits of his code I've used in my interface (don't worry I stole code from everyone so its research), but I really wish he had stuck to using his own or public domain type stuff.

Sorry Godly (nice name, I wish I were more) but most of the instruments in the list I can't redistribute. It would be really cool (and pretty big) if could do a zip file with all the instruments included.

OK messed about with the Lofberg Fiddle. See what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uuukq ... ofberg.nki

Based on samples from the MSLP project created by ERICK KVIST. These samples are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution non-commercial 3.0. From the read me.txt, THE SAMPLES ARE FREE TO USE FOR ANY CREATIVE MUSICAL PURPOSES. YOU CAN SELL YOUR MUSIC MADE FROM THE SAMPLES.

I'll recommended the soundfont I'm making be for personal use only, just to be safe.
Just know that all the samples were provided willingly for free by their creators. So it's unlikely someone will be hunting you down.

I'm totally stuck on Shanai. I cant find free instruments, samples, anything. Anyone have any ideas?

bigcat1969 wrote:I'm totally stuck on Shanai. I cant find free instruments, samples, anything. Anyone have any ideas?
While I know it's technically part of the GM Set, a King's Flute isn't really an instrument known for being played in a Western scale and is better represented by loops than samples. The closest I've found to this quadruple reed instrument from Persia is its cousin from Southern India - the Nadaswaram. I *do* have samples of the ragas played on that - and they are available (as part of a library) from Swar Systems, but it's a bit pricey.

I wonder if sampling two Oboes/English Horns which are microtonally different and phased could approximate the sound - of course, you'd still need to use the mod wheel for tones in between the keys of a keyboard....

Somehow, I don't think this helped.

Maybe find some home video of someone playing it and sample it from there?

Interesting Hueynym. I'm learning all kinds of things from midi playing media players to what a Huey sounds like to King's Flute loops.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”