Hot Hog Infusion - ElectroProg (Seismic Landmark)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was originally written in one 8 hour session in February 2011. The 2014 remix took about 10 hours, and marks the completion of a seemingly interminable series of remixes. Now it's time to make some new music. There are a few arps on here.

This is another beverage celebration tune. Pork soup this time.

EDIT:20220302 mp3 link removed

on SoundCloud:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/hot-hog-infusion

Fittings and fixtures:-

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4
Mixed in EnergyXT2.7beta/EnergyXT2.7beta2
Mastered in T-Racks 3

HahahaCS33
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
RezV2.0
GenesisCM1.02
Synth1
SynthMaster 2.5
IK CSR
SDRR
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 14

EDIT:20220302 - Remixed in 2021/2022 - I replaced some instruments, tweaked some patches and the arrangement - I revised the reverbs, improved the EQ, panning and levelling. I replaced FerricTDS with Satin on the master bus and mastered in T-Racks5, ready for album release in 2022.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/hot- ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

EnergyXT Drum Sampler
SynthMaster 2.5
HahahaCS33
HahahaCS33V2
RezV2.0
Z3ta+2
GenesisCM1.02
Synth1
EQuivocate
BlueCat Gain3 VST Stereo
IK CSR
Satin
T-Racks 5
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 12
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Interesting track, no offence meant on this comment, 1st thing that comes to mind is the "feel good music" from a 1980's movie. Drums feel a little off or maybe the arps. However, overall I like this would like to hear the hats a little lower in volume/velocity.
Interesting track.

seismic1 wrote:
layzer wrote:
Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:After the next track (Hot Hog Infusion) is done
:-o Is that name finalized? It sounds similar to this or perhaps I'm just demented. :ud:

Maybe that slang is US only.
hot pork injection? :scared:
I can't leave you guys unsupervised for a second :lol:
sooooooo this is the very controversial song mentioned in this comment?

makin bacon does indeed come to mind... sizzle sizzle...that high end :o

great sounds and composition, made this one usda prime choice :D
well cooked!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

MFXxx wrote:Interesting track, no offence meant on this comment, 1st thing that comes to mind is the "feel good music" from a 1980's movie. Drums feel a little off or maybe the arps. However, overall I like this would like to hear the hats a little lower in volume/velocity.
Interesting track.
No problem. I seem to attract lots of '80s movie comments. Funny thing is, I prefer '70s and '90s music. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to redress the balance in favour of that decade :)

This one was recorded 3 years ago using the UX2/Rokit5 combo. The 2014 remix was split between the same system and my Arcam/Mission HiFi setup. I was certainly trying to achieve a punchier sound with this one. Believe it or not the hats (in fact all of the percussion) were 1-2dB higher than this until very late in the mixing process.

Thanks very much for listening MFXxx. Glad you liked it :)

The beginning is promising including some cool mouth (?) percussive pops vaguely like Kraftwerk's Boing Boom Tschak. The stage has been set with a solid rhythmic foundation.

At 0:33, I slump down in my chair when a piglet wearing a pink tutu comes pirouetting across the stage to a synthpop arp and lead (especially the lead) that reminds me of Vince Clark at his most lightweight. Yikes.

At 0:58, the piglet disappears and is replaced by a mean wild boar ready to kick some serious ass. The boar enters to the sound of massive bass with very cool delays. He is accompanied by some mean 90s techno leads.

At 1:29, I groan when the prancing piglet, with her happy arp and lead, steals the spotlight from the big wild boar.

Skipping ahead, there are some nice chord changes at 3:22 before we go back to the intro percussion.

For the big finish starting at 5:00, the entire herd is sent onto the soundstage. At this point, the mix sounds cluttered like a stampede.

Is this piece a case of Hot Hog Confusion? No, there's nothing wrong with the piece. I just happen to dislike the style of one of the major themes.

The mix is good as usual. The two mix issues are the hats when heard in isolation at 0:25 seem loud and the cluttered ending.

This is an enjoyable romp. Very upbeat without being sappy. Your mixes are really clear and transparent. Cool transition at 2:20. Love all the different arps in this one. Some great energy building at the end. Nice one!

i often don't like upbeat music, but this one is just wonderful! :) :tu:

Verrrrrry, very nice Tim....I love the poly rhythms you have going on hear-yes spelling intended-....great tones...the mix is nice and clear....the arpeggiation has a nice african ish vibe to it...and the main synth is sooooooo nice and phatt...in fact I would say -no cheese all phatt!!!!!!.....hehehehe NICE!!!! :)

Frantz wrote: At 0:33, I slump down in my chair when a piglet wearing a pink tutu comes pirouetting across the stage to a synthpop arp and lead (especially the lead) that reminds me of Vince Clark at his most lightweight. Yikes.
i can visualize Frantz slumping way down under his desk trying to dodge the prancing piglet :lol: :lol: :lol:

layzer wrote: i can visualize Frantz slumping way down under his desk trying to dodge the prancing piglet :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, I did slump when I heard it. Nevertheless, it was pigheaded of me to post a bunch of silly hogwash. :oops:

layzer wrote:
seismic1 wrote:
layzer wrote:
Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:After the next track (Hot Hog Infusion) is done
:-o Is that name finalized? It sounds similar to this or perhaps I'm just demented. :ud:

Maybe that slang is US only.
hot pork injection? :scared:
I can't leave you guys unsupervised for a second :lol:
sooooooo this is the very controversial song mentioned in this comment?

makin bacon does indeed come to mind... sizzle sizzle...that high end :o

great sounds and composition, made this one usda prime choice :D
well cooked!
Thanks very much for the listen and the coments, layzer. Glad you liked it :)

"controversial" is probably overstating things a little.

Looking forward to the vocal debut :)

Frantz wrote:
layzer wrote: i can visualize Frantz slumping way down under his desk trying to dodge the prancing piglet :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, I did slump when I heard it. Nevertheless, it was pigheaded of me to post a bunch of silly hogwash. :oops:
no need to wallow in it Frantz ol chap.....
i knew you were just hamming it up :clown:

Arps, you say? Yeah, I s'pose I heard a few. :)

Nice work Tim. The interplay of parts is where you often seem to create your magic, and this is no exception. Lots of cool rhythmic happenings here, really enjoyed the listen!

Looking forward to you being unchained from the remixes… should be an interesting ride. :)
Image Image

Frantz wrote:The beginning is promising including some cool mouth (?) percussive pops vaguely like Kraftwerk's Boing Boom Tschak. The stage has been set with a solid rhythmic foundation.
EnergyXT drumsampler (Alesis HR-16) - '80s again
Frantz wrote: At 0:33, I slump down in my chair when a piglet wearing a pink tutu comes pirouetting across the stage to a synthpop arp and lead (especially the lead) that reminds me of Vince Clark at his most lightweight. Yikes.
Nice alliteration. I think my melodies are normally darker than on here. This track came together really quickly. The piglet synth was originally a much thinner, more metallic sound which died with my old computer. This patch sounded "happier", which was quite a novelty for me. I can live with the Vince reference, even with the diet.
Frantz wrote: At 0:58, the piglet disappears and is replaced by a mean wild boar ready to kick some serious ass. The boar enters to the sound of massive bass with very cool delays. He is accompanied by some mean 90s techno leads.
I think I added that bass synth later in the original session. I needed to disperse some of those light/happy vibes.
Frantz wrote: At 1:29, I groan when the prancing piglet, with her happy arp and lead, steals the spotlight from the big wild boar.

Skipping ahead, there are some nice chord changes at 3:22 before we go back to the intro percussion.
My second favourite part of the track here
Frantz wrote: For the big finish starting at 5:00, the entire herd is sent onto the soundstage. At this point, the mix sounds cluttered like a stampede.
Surely a drove, not a herd.
I mixed this at a fairly high overall volume relative to that which I normally use. I was qc'ing at the end of each run-through on my main system, again at a high volume level, because I thought the track sounded better heard that way.
Frantz wrote:
Is this piece a case of Hot Hog Confusion? No, there's nothing wrong with the piece. I just happen to dislike the style of one of the major themes.

The mix is good as usual. The two mix issues are the hats when heard in isolation at 0:25 seem loud and the cluttered ending.
I'll check out the hat levels and mix again later, I was actually thinking of increasing the volume of one of the synth1 arps during the finish.

Thanks very much for listening, Frantz, and for the detailed comments. Glad you liked it :)

I gave it another listen. The hats still sound loud. The finish starting at 5:00 still sounds cluttered to me but I don't see it as a mix issue. It may be unavoidable when so many parts are playing at once.
seismic1 wrote:The piglet synth was originally a much thinner, more metallic sound which died with my old computer.
A metallic sound would have been more to my liking. I think there is a sonic mismatch between the piglet synth and the massive bass although it could be one of your intentional contrasts. Having said that, my arbitrary likes and dislikes don't need to factor into your composition process.

Return to “Music Cafe”