Nasty Bitwig Bug

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought I'd sound this one out to see if anyone else has had it. All the other ones I've come across have been reproducible, but this one seems tricky to pin down.

I've been working on a project in Bitwig (my first big one) and just today the project has started to go haywire. After five minutes of work in the Launcher view, the visual playback heads on all clips start to have no relation to the audio playback. So, they indicate the clip's halfway through playing when it's only just started, they jump suddenly to another part of the clip, they disappear for a second before reappearing at the wrong location. This doesn't affect playback. The clips are sounding fine. But the visual representation of what's being played back is wrong.

When dragging a clip into the arranger, the timeline playback head is rock solid, but again, the playback head within the clip itself is all over the place. My only solution is to quit and reload Bitwig, but even then it starts again after 5 minutes.

At the moment I can't work on the session, so any advice would be appreciated.

I'm on OSX 10.8.5.

Several people have reported that in earlier versions.
I haven't seen it in 1.07.

I'm running 1.07 here. I have noticed a hiccup with playback head position in clips in previous versions (after triggering playback, it takes a second for the cursor to appear in the clips and scroll with the notes), but this is the first time I've had the issue at this scale.

what you have to understand is that bitwig went through a very long and thorough beta test, with enough users to catch all the bugs that its impossible for anything like this is happening to you. maybe you just had a bad dream?

Ha! It's cool, I understand as a beta tester myself that it's impossible to really cover off on all possible configurations and situations, especially with a piece of software this complex, until you throw it out into the world. Would absolutely love to get this sorted though.

Could i ask you then why you haven't worked on a "big one" project during beta test?

Sorry, I understand that was confusing. I'm not a beta tester for Bitwig. I beta test for some other companies.

And no offence to the wonderful community here, but I probably wouldn't be bug reporting on this forum if I was a Bitwig beta tester. :)
The point I was (badly) trying to make is that while I understand there's some frustration from people regarding bugs, I don't want to get pulled into blaming the beta testers for 'not doing their job' every time something comes up. To be honest, I wish the software was less buggy too. But I'm feeling optimistic that a lot of this stuff is getting addressed.

"..but I probably wouldn't be bug reporting on this forum if I was a Bitwig beta tester."
I guess that's the mischievous nature of the beast in question.

Yes I also experience clip playhead craziness! Being a logic user (and not having experience with live type launcher clips) I just assumed that I simply was stupid and not "getting" how clip launching works. If I play a scene all the clips seem to start from random places. However recently I noticed it's actually "sounding" correct - it's just the graphics all out of alignment.

I've yet to try this in 0.7 but will report back once I have.

Thanks askewd! Nice to know I'm not alone. It's a pretty serious issue. It's stopped me in my tracks with this project. I just can't compose and edit MIDI because I have no idea where I'm supposed to be focusing. I've just tried the same project on my Macbook Air running Mavericks (my other machine was a Mac Pro running 10.8.5) and it's still happening.

What's wrong , the litlle white lines on small clips in the session view (the grid) ?
Or the playhead line displayed in the editor when a clip is opened ?

Just curious about the different ways we work.
I never paid attention to those little white lines moving in clips.
Do we need these lines to indicate a correct position ? What for ?

I mean, the display is correct on which clip is playing,
and if you open the clip in the editor, the "playhead" (white line) is still correct ?
Music

No, bulusglo, the playhead in the clip editor *itself* is not correct. That's the issue. It jumps all over the place and has no relation to what is actually playing, which makes it very difficult to make edits while listening back. This is a bug that also applies to the clip edit view when composing in the Arrange window as well.

Ok. Thx. That's annoying indeed.

The good point is that it always happens on the project, within a few (5) minutes.
Maybe you can give Bitwig a sample project so they can reproduce / identify the problem.
Music

Yep been reporting this since the beginning but bitwig still cannot reproduce this on their end. Happens to me in every single session after about 15 mins. I have to save close and reopen the project to fix it for another 15 mins. Sometimes the sound actually loses synch as well slightly. I will sing to the heavens when this bug is fixed! Im on win7. Happens on midi and audio clips.

Return to “Bitwig”