Cakewalk Sonar X3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR X3 Producer

Jace-BeOS wrote:I considered getting the demo of X3, to see if X3 would make my transition of Sonar projects to my Mac any less frustrating (by eliminating Sonar 8.5 annoyances and bugs, like, I can't play a project looped without Sonar freezing and requiring a force termination!!)...

Yeah, bad idea... Things can always get worse...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2980458&p=1&p=
Hmm, old thread showing user who installed trial without doing a backup first. Dug himself in deeper and deeper until being told to use system restore.

Is that the bad idea you're trying to get across? :?

FWIW, he's currently up and running on current version of X3, and seems okay now.

I'd suggest considering that demo of X3 again... but something tells me you're not the least bit interested.

Ugh. Just got an email saying that you can purchase Sonar X3 (basic) for 29 $/€ as a registered customer now. So, if anyone is looking for a bargain for a full blown DAW. :)

flugel45 wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I considered getting the demo of X3, to see if X3 would make my transition of Sonar projects to my Mac any less frustrating (by eliminating Sonar 8.5 annoyances and bugs, like, I can't play a project looped without Sonar freezing and requiring a force termination!!)...

Yeah, bad idea... Things can always get worse...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2980458&p=1&p=
Hmm, old thread showing user who installed trial without doing a backup first. Dug himself in deeper and deeper until being told to use system restore.

Is that the bad idea you're trying to get across? :?

FWIW, he's currently up and running on current version of X3, and seems okay now.

I'd suggest considering that demo of X3 again... but something tells me you're not the least bit interested.
That's right. Blame the user. A popular theme with computer tech. Lets not blame the tech or anything reasonable.

Am I even the least bit interested in X3? Yes. I am. But it's the same lure I fell into for the last 6 versions I bought, only to be left feeling abused. I'm going to be reloading my PC from scratch, yet again (managed to go many years this time, but it's intolerable now with most of the control panels crashing Explorer), so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to start over with a fresh Sonar installation. Oh, wait, I just did that. Uninstalled it all, reinstalled it... same glitches and crashing. Sigh.

I've said it before: if Cakewalk wants to do good on the 6 upgrades I've bought over the years and give me a complimentary X3 Producer to hopefully get past all the problems they keep telling me were fixed "in the new version", I would say a polite thank you, use it for as long as I'm still on Windows, and credit them for the gesture in public (since I'm so critical of them now; but it's an earned criticism, and I think my foolish loyalty has earned me a new version, gratis). But pay for yet another promise of solutions? That little interest is mighty slim where giving them more money is concerned. Having a lot of projects still left to extract from Sonar 8.5's cold dead hands, there is still an ... upgrade opportunity... for Cakewalk on my PC.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

chk071 wrote:Ugh. Just got an email saying that you can purchase Sonar X3 (basic) for 29 $/€ as a registered customer now. So, if anyone is looking for a bargain for a full blown DAW. :)
Indeed! I did it the last discount and then upgraded for $99 to Studio. A great DAW really and with the last patch, they fixed most of the bugs. It runs very stable with win 8.1 here and it never crashed once with me :-) I'm using Reason/Live as rewire slaves to it and they are very easy to setup and everything run stable.

I'm waiting for a discount to upgrade to Producer, but till now nothing :-( I'm not sure if it will ever exist. Anyway, the Basic edition is ridiculously cheap now, but I think it is a smart strategy to hook you into Studio or Producer upgrade :tu:

do i really need studio?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:do i really need studio?
IMO yes! but not essential.
I had Nomad Factory blue tubes bundle, which I liked a lot and Melodyne Essential (which you can use with other DAWs, but I don't use it anyway!) and Audio Snap feature, SMPTE/MTC, and Z3ta+1, LE versions of Rapture and Dimension. Oh, there is the Pro Channel also, which has a nice EQ (without zoom :mad:) and softtube Saturation knob.

But the nice thing in Basic the EQ view is connected with Sonitus EQ, so when you double click it, the Sonitus EQ pop up while in the studio version, you are stuck with this mini view of the EQ (well, when you choose the Pro Channel, it stretches just a little bit, but not full EQ as in the producer version). The two lacks the spectrum view, which I found it very useful (both Live Standard and Reason have it: EQ + Spectrum), oh Sonar X3 producer has it of course.

so I don't know for you but I still feel the upgrade worth it for me :-)

thanx EnGee it's exactly how i understood the comparison. for me i dont need the studio because i have so many 3rd party plugins which do the job already.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

mrcleats wrote:Just for an anecdotal whatever it's worth - I really am loving X3e.

I've liked Sonar in the past, and by that I mean that I've liked its workflow, admired the X series look and feel, appreciated the included goodies and have really wanted to love it all as a whole but have found it either a crash-fest at worst or inconsistent at best (X1 was pretty good, X2, hmm, not so good!).

X3e has been brilliant for me. Like, really slick, fire-it-up and get on with it: no crashes; no surprises. Using loads of vsts/vstis, melodyne, outboard gear, jbridge-ing old 32 bit freebies into the 64 bit version etc. It's all just working, no stress.

As I say, FWIW; YMMV etc etc. but I'm really enjoying using Sonar X3e.
I agree with these comments 100%...

They were just warming things up with X1 and X2 and there were a few bugs in X3 right up until X3d,but X3e is really great...

I've been using Sonar since the stone age and X3e Pro in a Win 7 Pro x64 environment is really rockin'...

I'm getting a lot of work done and it's all good :wink:
No auto tune...

chk071 wrote:Ugh. Just got an email saying that you can purchase Sonar X3 (basic) for 29 $/€ as a registered customer now. So, if anyone is looking for a bargain for a full blown DAW. :)
That's a bargain, yes, but that version doesn't have the ProChannel. I think it would sell a lot more with ProChannel. Even I would buy it for that price. :D
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

J4R1O wrote:
That's a bargain, yes, but that version doesn't have the ProChannel. I think it would sell a lot more with ProChannel. Even I would buy it for that price. :D
I was going to buy it for £85 today, is there any cheeky way I can get it for that price as a new customer? I was thinking maybe if I buy one of their cheaper VSTIs it might give me that price after or something.

libertychap wrote:
J4R1O wrote:
I was going to buy it for £85 today, is there any cheeky way I can get it for that price as a new customer? I was thinking maybe if I buy one of their cheaper VSTIs it might give me that price after or something.
Just make a new account when you click "My Store Account". I don't remember really if they require you to register a previous product from them. Try to make a new account then login and buy as a registered user.

EnGee wrote:
libertychap wrote:
J4R1O wrote:
Just make a new account when you click "My Store Account". I don't remember really if they require you to register a previous product from them. Try to make a new account then login and buy as a registered user.
Thanks, I just made an account and see "[New Customer] SONAR X3 (Download) - £85" but there is this for £25 http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cgbp/Pr ... SR3.00-30E

Code: Select all

SONAR X3 Upgrades (Download)
•	This download includes SONAR X3a 
Now I'm confused.

libertychap wrote:

Code: Select all

SONAR X3 Upgrades (Download)
•	This download includes SONAR X3a 
Now I'm confused.
Yes I agree it is confusing. Can you see the option of the "upgrade for registered users" price when you login in your store account? If you can see it, then this is the one you should go with.

I don't think there are two versions (upgrade and full). When I first installed X3 Basic (upgrade for existing users), it didn't ask me anything except the serial number and activation code later (which was written in my account page after buying it), but I already have bought other things before X3 basic (and Studio later).

If you are still not sure, you maybe better ask in their forum:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Forums

mrcleats wrote:Just for an anecdotal whatever it's worth - I really am loving X3e.

I've liked Sonar in the past, and by that I mean that I've liked its workflow, admired the X series look and feel, appreciated the included goodies and have really wanted to love it all as a whole but have found it either a crash-fest at worst or inconsistent at best (X1 was pretty good, X2, hmm, not so good!).

X3e has been brilliant for me. Like, really slick, fire-it-up and get on with it: no crashes; no surprises. Using loads of vsts/vstis, melodyne, outboard gear, jbridge-ing old 32 bit freebies into the 64 bit version etc. It's all just working, no stress.

As I say, FWIW; YMMV etc etc. but I'm really enjoying using Sonar X3e.

Melodyne is integrated very well :)

I came across an issue while recording midi in comping mode. I do it in a single track. Muting works only if the 2nd take "fully cover" the 1st one (means start before and ends after 1st) The problem is that the previous track are not muted when:

1.2nd take overlaps the first one so that it's fully in the 1st take boundaries
2. overlapping, 1st starts and ends earlier than 2nd
3 overlapping, when 2nd starts and ends earlier than 1st, the 1st happens to be muted from its start to 2nd take end (that is correct), but has no data from the 2nd end to its end (that is strange)

I use X3e, win7 64

btw, recording audio works as expected

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”