In praise of older plugs.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm impressed by V-Station, this golden oldie still packs a lot of punch :tu:

Rhino still gets a lot of use round these parts.

GaryG wrote:Rhino still gets a lot of use round these parts.
Yeah, Rhino is right on the horn :D :clown:

I also use that lots :tu:

Winstontaneous wrote:VAZ Modular has been around a long time and still sounds fabulous. The Cosmo Oscillators, Granular Oscillator, K Filter (Korg MS20) and Comb Filter are phenomenal. It also has some interesting Buchla/Serge-inspired control modules, crazy sequencers, and hosts VSTs.

It's one of the few things I miss from Windows. I haven't found a modular with its combo of great sound / deep programming possibilities / ease of use since switching to a Mac.
Do you really think it is so good?

Vaz Modular is PC only so I have never tried it, but the audio examples I have heard have been decidedly uninspiring sounding... Of course I have not heard that much from it as there are no audio examples on the Dev site and little else I have found elsewhere. Audio wise, it is the most invisible plugin ever.

pdxindy wrote:Vaz Modular is PC only so I have never tried it, but the audio examples I have heard have been decidedly uninspiring sounding... Of course I have not heard that much from it as there are no audio examples on the Dev site and little else I have found elsewhere. Audio wise, it is the most invisible plugin ever.
I only got VaZ+ But I think it is a great plug, one that still rocks.

So the big brother modular Vaz will sound even fatter. But unfortunately it is vastly overpriced in todays market though. £130 (ca $215), that's a lot to ask now, especially a plug that is only 32 bit.

Valo, by signaldust is brilliant. loaded with features, sounds great, low cpu, none SE/SM and hard to believe the dll is only 344kb in size :o the gui could use some tlc though.....
hey mystran....can i redo the gui on this one? :hihi:

http://www.signaldust.com/files/valo.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks for the heads-up for Valo, it seems to fit nicely to my ever expanding "fat sounding" category... :D

Btw, if you re-do the UI, I'm interested.

And because I guess from names of Signaldust/Mystran have selected ("Valo" and "Tila") that they're Finnish:

Hyvää työtä! Hyvin toimii ja kuulostaa hyvältä!

pdxindy wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:VAZ Modular has been around a long time and still sounds fabulous. The Cosmo Oscillators, Granular Oscillator, K Filter (Korg MS20) and Comb Filter are phenomenal. It also has some interesting Buchla/Serge-inspired control modules, crazy sequencers, and hosts VSTs.

It's one of the few things I miss from Windows. I haven't found a modular with its combo of great sound / deep programming possibilities / ease of use since switching to a Mac.
Do you really think it is so good?

Vaz Modular is PC only so I have never tried it, but the audio examples I have heard have been decidedly uninspiring sounding... Of course I have not heard that much from it as there are no audio examples on the Dev site and little else I have found elsewhere. Audio wise, it is the most invisible plugin ever.
I used VAZ way way back when, when it was free. It was cute. When I got back into audio, I demoed it and was also not impressed. Beyond what to me is mediocre sound, the interface is tiresome at best. I don't understand what the raving is all about, but different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Hell yeah...plenty of oldie but goodies out there. The Korg softsynths definitely qualify as classics, though I don't particularly care for the Polysix one (boring, but just my opinion). ReFX Vanguard still rocks, IMHO. Has its own special character. Definitely NOT like a Virus OR a good analog emulation, but I like that because it stands out.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

layzer wrote:Valo, by signaldust is brilliant. loaded with features, sounds great, low cpu, none SE/SM and hard to believe the dll is only 344kb in size :o the gui could use some tlc though.....
hey mystran....can i redo the gui on this one? :hihi:
The GUI could do with a layer of brushed metal :D :tu:

I'm surprised how much punch this tiny synth delivers :o Excellent for leads.
Instead of Valo, it could have been called Value :)

The Korg analog edition synths are still great.
I thought imposcar1 was okay, but the 2nd version is much better imo.
The korg ms20 is better than monopoly once you learn to use the chord patching section.
Much more punch and snappiness, than the other korg analog type synths.

Well, i have do disagree about Vaz. I tried many soft synths with an free lfo modulating the pulse width and Vaz comes out as a very rich and strong sounding instrument. Actually, just by creating a simple pulse odc with Vaz and modulating the filter with velocity you could make it sound like a funk guitar. Vaz have so much presence. Ofcourse this is only my opinion..Im trying newer software right now. Blue 2 sounds very nice. So many posibilities.

Filterscape VA can do some very unique stuff and sounds really great!

Cheers
Dennis

Compyfox wrote:I wish the SQ8L project would still be existant, but nothing happened for over 5 years.
This x1000.

Z3TA is great, I still think it's the closest option to a Virus.
You are currently reading my signature.

Return to “Instruments”