What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

British to USA English translation site

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

7069 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 am British to USA English translation site

I know there are a lot of British folks here and I often see threads go all wonky due to lack of understanding of the more subtle nuances of our dialects. I think this site can shed some light on some of the more confusing phrases and help keep threads civil.

http://www.anglotopia.net/anglophilia/b ... fographic/
Zerocrossing Media
http://www.zerocrossing.net
4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
KVRAF

6583 posts since 22 Sep, 2008, from Windsor. UK

Postby tehlord; Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am Re: British to USA English translation site

It would be a lot easier if you lot learned to speak the Mother tongue properly again.
KVRist

271 posts since 13 Jul, 2005, from Germany

Postby RexXx; Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:55 am Re: British to USA English translation site

:D
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!
KVRAF

7470 posts since 2 Apr, 2002, from Austin, Texas, USA

Postby SyntheticAurality; Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:15 am Re: British to USA English translation site

tehlord wrote:It would be a lot easier if you lot learned to speak the Mother tongue properly again.

Sod that! :tantrum: :tantrum:
addled muppet weed

34214 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 am Re: British to USA English translation site

tehlord wrote:It would be a lot easier if you lot learned to speak the Mother tongue properly again.
:hihi:
KVRAF

3950 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am Re: British to USA English translation site

My brother-in-law is an American who married a fine English lass and has lived in England for a few decades now. He's compiled a couple of pretty thorough American-English/English-American dictionaries:

http://www.travelfurther.net/dictionaries/index.htm

I'm pretty fluent in the Mother tongue, although I still shudder a little whenever a British/Aussie guy refers to me as "mate." :scared:
KVRAF

19899 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 am Re: British to USA English translation site

I learned to speak British English growing up, spent some time in Australia and now live in the US.

What do you want translating? :hihi:
KVRAF

2772 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 am Re: British to USA English translation site

zerocrossing wrote:I know there are a lot of British folks here and I often see threads go all wonky due to lack of understanding of the more subtle nuances of our dialects. I think this site can shed some light on some of the more confusing phrases and help keep threads civil.

http://www.anglotopia.net/anglophilia/b ... fographic/

Great stuff. :lol:
KVRAF

6583 posts since 22 Sep, 2008, from Windsor. UK

Postby tehlord; Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:54 am Re: British to USA English translation site

cryophonik wrote:

My brother-in-law is an American who married a fine English lass and has lived in England for a few decades now. He's compiled a couple of pretty thorough American-English/English-American dictionaries:

http://www.travelfurther.net/dictionaries/index.htm

I'm pretty fluent in the Mother tongue, although I still shudder a little whenever a British/Aussie guy refers to me as "mate." :scared:

Just between you and I Dave mate, there are precious few natives who speak English properly any more.
KVRAF

2463 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:23 am Re: British to USA English translation site

You deserve a swift kick in the fanny* for saying that.

* Fanny - has different meanings in the US and UK. I probably meant the milder US meaning. :)
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
KVRAF

19899 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:30 pm Re: British to USA English translation site

Frantz wrote:

You deserve a swift kick in the fanny* for saying that.

* Fanny - has different meanings in the US and UK. I probably meant the milder US meaning. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCN3CSLZuI
KVRian

1122 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:37 pm Re: British to USA English translation site

The token Aussies will stay up the back, drink beer and throw raw prawns at anyone making any kind of sense up the front
My avatar is fat and lazy, I'm 11 pixels narrower but just as lazy.
something special

7877 posts since 15 Mar, 2002, from gone riding

Postby bluedad; Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:38 pm Re: British to USA English translation site

SyntheticAurality wrote:

that doesn't sound quite right with a Texas accent.
I want to thank IK for the trip to Hawaii and for letting me play with ST3 since January.
KVRian

1122 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 pm Re: British to USA English translation site

bluedad wrote:
SyntheticAurality wrote:

that doesn't sound quite right with a Texas accent.

Aussie translation:
Bugger that for a game of soldiers.
My avatar is fat and lazy, I'm 11 pixels narrower but just as lazy.
KVRAF

1898 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:50 pm Re: British to USA English translation site

This is my new favorite thread. I grew up watching lots of British television (mostly Red Dwarf, Blake's 7, and Doctor Who, though I caught some Eastenders bits waiting for DW to start), so I'm rarely confounded by dialectic differences. I'm more bemused. I had a girlfriend require me to translate dialog with a couple characters in the British miniseries Ultraviolet till she got used to the accent, but I still provided word translation. Mostly I figured things out from context.

My favorite bit of dialect confusion between the two was a story I think someone shared here some years back about a British visitor hanging with Americans in the USA, where, in a pause in conversation, suddenly said "I could murder a fag right now". The deathly silence was healed by his American host explaining, and they all had a great laugh. If this is your story, stand up and take credit ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic