Tuning EVERY single sound?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
is it needed to tune every single sample like snares, fx sounds, drones a.s.o.?
if the root keys is too far away and every other consonant tone or to much noise how to tune it then?

tune to what, for what purpose, in which context?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

If this is an extension to the standard "do I have to tune my kick drum to the key of the track?" question, the answer is you don't have to use the root note. You are never more than a semitone away from a scale note in the key unless you're using something like harmonic minor or some odd Hungarian gypsy scale, which for a dance toon seems unlikely.

Do you need to tune all other sounds? Depends how it sounds, although it can often make sense as sounds may seem to gel better. At the same time, non-scale tones can also provide necessary tension so the only way to find out is to try it. If you can't hear a subjective difference, it's unlikely to be important. Tuning the kick can make a sizeable difference because it's so prominent, but it's more important to make sure it sounds 'right' than what a frequency analyser might tell you.

Yes, I tune every single sound and LFO in my tracks to match the key of song. Just for safety - sounds in tune won't get any worse that out of tune, but it may save some work later on.
Typically you aim at fundamental or fifth, sometimes third if the previous two don't work nicely or samples are getting cluttered.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:Yes, I tune every single sound and LFO in my tracks to match the key of song. Just for safety - sounds in tune won't get any worse that out of tune, but it may save some work later on.
Typically you aim at fundamental or fifth, sometimes third if the previous two don't work nicely or samples are getting cluttered.
Can you expand on what you mean when you say you are tuning your LFO's?

What are they controlling, and you are tuning them to the low, low, sub-harmonic intervals? Instead of just to the tempo or groove?
:D

If Pitchfork's top 50 albums of 2013 is any indication, the answer is resoundingly NO! It seems to me that people are reacting against the ultra quantized and auto-tuned precision of commercial music, gravitating instead towards imperfections.

Also, from a technical point of view, if everything is perfectly in tune, that's more frequency build up and a possibility of phase cancellation. It's not a big deal but small things like that can add up.

Return to “Sound Design”