Cubase 7.5.20 is out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

billcarroll wrote:Now that the usual seagulls have flown past and crapped in the 7.5.20 announcement thread ... dare we post positive comments?

We do. We dare. :)

7.5.20 has been great so far. Rock solid. The update got rid of a VST audio glitch i was experiencing.
yep.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

4damind wrote:Links are from the Steinberg forum, the official download page is not updated (yet):

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... te_win.exe

this seems to be the Mac link:
http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... te_mac.dmg

Source: Steinberg Forum

Thank you for posting! Saved me a bit of work hunting their website for the links. :cD

I found some time to upgrade from C 7.5.1 to C 7.5.2 last night. VERY glad I did.

While I had no issues with 7.5, the 7.5.1 upgrade introduced dropouts and a whole host of MIDI glitches that I could never isolate. 7.5.2 seems to have eliminated that problem. I've only had time to go through a few projects that had problems so far, but everything seems rock solid.

Also, I notice that the 7.5.2 update includes a fairly big (data-wise) update to HalionSonicSE and Groove Agent SE. I haven't had a chance to check these out yet, but are there any significant content upgrades here? I've got HalionSonic 2, so I'm not really concerned about that, but if Groove Agent SE added new kits and beats, I'd be pretty jazzed.

Anyone know?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

No but clearly they are ramping up for Grove Agent 4. Not sure if I am interested (I have Battery 4, Geist, Drummax, Grove Machine, and at least 2 or 3 others) but will keep it close in mind as I love the easy integration that Halion Sonic 2 has with Cubase.

Who am I kidding...I am a plug junkie.

Jon

(Plug Junkie, TM 2014 Jon Solo, ha ha ha)

I updated as well, seems like the mixer is sluggish as before. If you unfold the channel Strip, mixer will be even more sluggish if you scroll left and right.

The second Problem is, when Cubase is loaded and i play my midi Keyboard, then my midi Keyboard doesn't send any notes , if i close Cubase and start it the second time, the midi Keyboard works. Support suggested to delete multiple midi entries in the registry, didn't help. And another mail from Novation said, to test different usb Slots. didn't help. So i thought maybe the Keyboard has a failure. But i installed Studio One Demo and there it works like a charm. What the heck is going on there?

Solid as a rock for me, 7.5 here, and more stable than Abletons Live 9 ever was, especially when on endurance projects (4 hours + of the program being open in one session)

All the same system setup bar the host, fresh install etc.

Haters gonna hate...

C7.5.20 took a great overhaul in terms of the control room. Unless that was handled in .10 as well.

Positive as well is the overhauled hub. It doesn't take full screen now, but rather opens some kind of "windowed". A good move IMO. Still have connection issues here and there, but well... I barely use it anyway.

The Control Room attached to the Mixer now has new icons (among them a tweaking knob for the control room output - a stab at Reaper's skins?), the look of the meters also changed. All with slight fades and "animated" submenues. Don' tknow what ot think of it.

The EBU R-128 meter got a slight enhancement. The scale of the meter can now finally be shifted (some people do listen after all), but I still miss a coloring mode in the global settings for this meter (Channel and Master meters can be changed, not the EBU R-128 one). An essential feature if we talk about readability.

Another thing that is clearly staring at me, are the new buttons here and there. The Channel Strip Edit window got more thick borders, and with that window the return of "large fonts" (a glitch maybe?). For both the channel name, and the SEND slots.

I can not confirm an ease on the ASIO load with low latency compared to 6.x. But spikes got reduced - the RED light doesn't constantly go off if I even load an empty project, or load a new plugin.

Still hate the insert handling - I think that critism will remain. I also still dislike the route going towards "touchscreen" (I have a desktop rig, dammit - create two skins if you want to go "mobile").

Didn't go that much more in-depth regarding Halion Sonic or Groove Agent. Barely use these VSTi.

Need more testing with 7.5.x - but I think the following updates will mostly be cosmetical.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

A workaround for high asio loads i found out is to use every plugin , that probably cause high loads, with jbridge in Performance mode (Option in jbrigde). Quite nice to see that asio load will completely fall down in the asio meter and the plugin will computed in the auxhost.exe with reasonable balance load within the processer cores. That works also with 64 bit plugins, because jbrigde can brigde them too. Seems like that Cubase simply can't distribute plugin loads reasonable over the processor cores.

You could also say, Cubase has way too little Options to tune the processors core balance or buffer settings. Have a look in reaper and you know whats missing.

Compyfox wrote: Still hate the insert handling - I think that critism will remain.
Mmm... yes. I've been working with the latest Cubase for a while now but the new insert handling always give me a "wtf" moment every time I work with an insert.

I'd hoped after a few weeks I'd just get used to it, but it's still utterly unintuitive to me. I end up hovering around each of the 3 micro-points and yet still end up clicking the wrong thing and bringing up a preset box or bypassing the plugin.

"C- , must do better. Steinberg, see me after class."

juffi wrote:You could also say, Cubase has way too little Options to tune the processors core balance or buffer settings. Have a look in reaper and you know whats missing.
I actually never thought of bridging plugins, even if they don't need to be bridged.
Then again, Steinberg insists that the CPU load is even (and that also registers evenly among the cores).

Still, there is something wrong with the engine in C7. But sadly, I don't think we won't see a fix until C8.5
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Actually bridging all that cpu eaters and latency monsters (f.e. Halionsonic2, Kontakt, Ozone5 (!) .....) and running in Performance mode also solves that 30% Windows cpu/99 % Asio load Problem. Because the auxhost.exe processes are outside from cubase and will be distributed reasonable on the cores and asio load will fall down.

No problems with stability so far, i even tested a big Project to see if i can lower the latency .

fandango wrote:
Compyfox wrote: Still hate the insert handling - I think that critism will remain.
Mmm... yes. I've been working with the latest Cubase for a while now but the new insert handling always give me a "wtf" moment every time I work with an insert.

I'd hoped after a few weeks I'd just get used to it, but it's still utterly unintuitive to me. I end up hovering around each of the 3 micro-points and yet still end up clicking the wrong thing and bringing up a preset box or bypassing the plugin.

"C- , must do better. Steinberg, see me after class."
Yes - I too still fumble a little with this; I'm just about there now, but also, how to turn the darn things off completely - still not 'at one' with that...
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v12.0.70; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v5.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

juffi wrote:Actually bridging all that cpu eaters and latency monsters (f.e. Halionsonic2, Kontakt, Ozone5 (!) .....) and running in Performance mode also solves that 30% Windows cpu/99 % Asio load Problem. Because the auxhost.exe processes are outside from cubase and will be distributed reasonable on the cores and asio load will fall down.

No problems with stability so far, i even tested a big Project to see if i can lower the latency .
So I take it, that C7 just has a funked up CPU core distribution?
Which could also clear why the x64 version works better(!) smoother than the x86 version. But if jBridge can still tickle a tad more out of it... then we have the culprit to most C7 problems.

I really, really have to retry that again. Unfortunately, jBridge only covers up until VST2.x, not VST3.

Hey Compyfox. Out of curiosity did 7.5.20 solved your previous issues? Spiking and insane CPU hit - was it?

Unfortunately not. The load is still high on low latency (read: 128 samples - for RME!), but at least most ASIO spikes (on plugin load or host reload) are gone.

Which is why I want to test the jBridge route. Even if it's darn fiddly, and doesn't cover VST3 (yet). But if it's a interim solution, I take every card until I have the funds to get a i7 Haswell. Or Steinberg optimizes that engine.

At this point, I also hope that Wavelab 8.5 won't be funked up. Though I think with the current route, I don't think that I can afford to further support Steinberg with the "pay for bugfixes" route. At least not until their issues are sorted out - which might cost me a version or two. But I can live with that. Worked with VST5.x until SX3 was released. And that timespan was like... over 5 years?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”