Looking for some guidelines on advanced wobblesounds

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not interesting in using this kind of wobbles in my production, but I feel a whole new world of experimenting will open if I learn how to make these sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGMc0va7jG4
At 2:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS38d3Kw2Zo
At 3:45

It should be some kind of LFO or envelope on the modulation amount of the frequency modulation, probably different ones on several operators, but that's a pretty vague guess. Some more clear instructions on what settings on the oscillators would help a lot.
I don't expect the patch itself to sound like in the tracks, there's probably a lot of resampling and processing in the mixerchannels going on, but I want to learn how to get that type of modulation.

Thanks.

Wobble bass? Open a low pass filter repeatedly via an LFO that is an upward moving sawtooth, while modulating the rate of that LFO with a knob or some such controller. Admittedly interesting the first time i heard it, i now recognize it as another dance techno whatever genre fad that everyone has to mimic and then lost interest. But i'm sure further processing angles can be taken, like increasing FM or ring mod amount with the same controller that's increasing the LFO speed. i don't think that needs resampling or processing in the mixer. A ring mod could be added to the track and modulated if the synth lacks one of its own, and then you use MIDI automation/controls to vary the LFO amount. Experiment with various modulation routings. That can be great fun and surprise effects come from it (and, yeah, sometimes nothing comes of it when the wrong stuff is routed, heh heh).

Oops, edit: it's probably not just a low pass filter. It's a wah wah type filter.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Remember to try different LFO shapes. I think the ones in the first example are using a downward ramp. Either that or it's an envelope with retriggering. Squarewaves can also be quite fun.

Also bear in mind that there's almost certainly several different bass sounds, some layered together, and some coming in at different times.

Chase and Status certainly know how to put a bassline together!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Chase and Status certainly know how to put a bassline together!
Except the OP´s sound example is a skrillex remix :)

This is not a wobble this has more in common with "growl" production than it does wobbles,any kind of filter manipulation wont get you there you need to play round with formants that is what is adding that odd resonant quality in the middle of the envelope

Skrillex is big into messing with vocoders with odd carriers so maybe start somewhere there,then you can manipulate it with filters etc to get abit more movement,modulation

Yeah,just thought i´d add that although it sounds like an lfo is being used to trigger the movement in the 2nd example i´m pretty sure that is just a slightly open attack on a wavetable or something being retriggered by midi in such a way that the pattern makes it seem lfo-ish

TIMT
I

Return to “Sound Design”