Feature Request: Step Record

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Ableton Live, I would patch up some chord mistakes or write some measures using step record, which was super handy. Essentially you would hold down the notes on the keyboard (or MIDI keyboard), then press -> on the keyboard and the notes would be drawn in starting from the current playhead position and ending at the next quantize position. Here's a mockup in Bitwig, pretty much how it works in Ableton Live:
stepRecord.gif
Sidenote: I would love for the highlighted notes for depressed keys on the piano roll to be a little more obvious. IMO they are too subtle at the moment, and when depressing keys I still tend to hunt up and down for the highlighted ones. Would be *excellent* if it highlighted the whole row.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shadiradio wrote:In Ableton Live, I would patch up some chord mistakes or write some measures using step record, which was super handy. Essentially you would hold down the notes on the keyboard (or MIDI keyboard), then press -> on the keyboard and the notes would be drawn in starting from the current playhead position and ending at the next quantize position. Here's a mockup in Bitwig, pretty much how it works in Ableton Live:
stepRecord.gif
Sidenote: I would love for the highlighted notes for depressed keys on the piano roll to be a little more obvious. IMO they are too subtle at the moment, and when depressing keys I still tend to hunt up and down for the highlighted ones. Would be *excellent* if it highlighted the whole row.
+1000

I use this all the time in Live. (It is one of the 'not sure I could give this up' features)

Also, when you hold the notes and hit the arrow twice it doubles note length or as long as you want. Let one note of a chord go and hit arrow and the other notes still get longer so it is easy to make chords with different note lengths. It also records velocity data as played (on midi keyboard). Hold no notes and use the arrow keys to navigate.

It is very fast.

Yes, very useful...Logic actually has this built in without needing to hold down anything like Live...you switch on an option and it step records automatically. You can keep adding notes to a chord...once you let go of all notes, it automatically moves to the next position on the grid and you can build a different chord.

nechronics wrote:Yes, very useful...Logic actually has this built in without needing to hold down anything like Live...you switch on an option and it step records automatically. You can keep adding notes to a chord...once you let go of all notes, it automatically moves to the next position on the grid and you can build a different chord.
How do you make longer notes? or skip a step?

shadiradio wrote:In Ableton Live, I would patch up some chord mistakes or write some measures using step record, which was super handy. Essentially you would hold down the notes on the keyboard (or MIDI keyboard), then press -> on the keyboard and the notes would be drawn in starting from the current playhead position and ending at the next quantize position. Here's a mockup in Bitwig, pretty much how it works in Ableton Live:
stepRecord.gif
whoa.....i didn't know this. :love:
i always achieve this with pressing midi keyboard and double clicking that line.
this is much easier! thank you! :clap:

found video to help me and bitwig team to understand.
http://blog.dubspot.com/ableton-live-vi ... ou-know-8/

and agree with key more recognizable too. i made a picture here

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&start=30

nexttrack30 wrote:
whoa.....i didn't know this. :love:
It's my favorite feature that nobody ever talks about :wink:

pdxindy wrote: It's my favorite feature that nobody ever talks about :wink:
this is crazy.
i just made chords, melody, even delete note without touching mouse!
i HATE MOUSE and how STUPID i miss this. :dog:
i can even jump to note with up/down arrow.

i'm sure it will be one of my favorite feature.
i LOVE it. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

is there a way to achieve "deactivate note" without touching mouse?
it'd be perfect if i can even do this.

oh and hope bitwig consider this feature!

nexttrack30 wrote:
pdxindy wrote: It's my favorite feature that nobody ever talks about :wink:
this is crazy.
i just made chords, melody, even delete note without touching mouse!
i HATE MOUSE and how STUPID i miss this. :dog:
i can even jump to note with up/down arrow.

i'm sure it will be one of my favorite feature.
i LOVE it. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

is there a way to achieve "deactivate note" without touching mouse?
it'd be perfect if i can even do this.

oh and hope bitwig consider this feature!
yup, up down arrow is sweet for jumping to note starts

I think you cannot deactivate notes because with this method you never select notes. But I've never really tried as I just delete notes I don't want.

You can also hold shift and use the right/left arrows to select some time and delete a bunch of notes that way if you decide to redo some section... deleting notes does not lose the cursor.

pdxindy wrote:
nechronics wrote:Yes, very useful...Logic actually has this built in without needing to hold down anything like Live...you switch on an option and it step records automatically. You can keep adding notes to a chord...once you let go of all notes, it automatically moves to the next position on the grid and you can build a different chord.
How do you make longer notes? or skip a step?
Nope, not that I'm aware of. I certainly like it better in Live :)

I'd like this too! A lot!
:hug:

+ 10000

step-recording is one of the most important features in a host for me. sadly, most hosts don´t do it well enough to be usable in my opinion. logic does it quite well and cubase does it well enough to be usable. as does the old version of energyxt. trackers do it quite well also. i don´t even remember other hosts that work in the way i like although i´ve tested most of them (hosts) during this almost 20 years i´ve written music on computers.

this is one of the reasons i default to trackers, mainly renoise renoise, most of the time when i try to write melodies and beats. i am constantly looking for alternate ways of working. that is why i´m trying bitwig.

in my opinion, step recording should work like writing on a qwerty-keyboard. notes played after eachother should be written after eachother with set spacing and note length. i HATE hosts that need me to use arrow keys or the like inbetween notes. you don´t use the arrow keys when writing your qwerty either, at least not when just normally typing words out. that´s how it should work IN MY OPINION.

you can find more detailed explanations on how it should - in my opinion work if you search "moonlite step recording"

thanks
miku

A highly anticipated upgrade for me for sure

Yeah this would be very nice. That is one of my favorite features in Live, and it's really just the little features like this that make a program's workflow fast and elegant.

moonlite wrote:this is one of the reasons i default to trackers, mainly renoise renoise, most of the time when i try to write melodies and beats.
fully agree here. I've been using trackers for the better part of the last 2 decades and the keyboard oriented way of handling user input is incredibly fast and convenient. I would LOVE for Bitwig to be able to step-record notes that can be entered either by a computer keyboard or a midi keyboard. The whole flow of entering, correcting/modifying and deleting notes should not require any mouse interaction ideally.

+1 for this feature request! :)

Return to “Bitwig”