One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions, Chat, Voting and Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

ThePresent wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote: So that means there again is a Reaper License up for grabs for this months PolyIblit OSC ;)
Really? Why is that? I can't see it in the list for Osc62. I can see the renoise license but no reaper. Did I miss something?
You didn't miss it, bjporter will add/announce it soon enough now that the one for last month has been scooped up :D

I donated a Reaper license to the prize pool but we decided to hold it back until this one was taken.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Congrats to all the winners! :party: You made a wonderful synth sound incredible.

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments. I figure I scored about $300 worth of comments, in that I got the kind of useful feedback I'd hope for from a marked college course assignment. Your time and thoughts are greatly appreciated! :D

Grats to the winners! :party:

The new 'no vote, no placing' -rule that's in play for the first time now may seem dramatic, but let's face it; the 'no vote, no prize' is much more dramatic and that's been for years now.

After all, one loses you a prize worth real money (sometimes a lot), the other nothing except being written bottom of a list.

Awww, I was hoping I could get that Reaper license :(

Welp, I'll go for SynthMaster Factory then - your turn H-man!

Hi all,

Thanks for voting me up into the top 5 and thanks for all the likes and comments along the way. I have come to really value the OSC community and the review and feedback aspect is certainly the most important to me.

Along with all the amazing music created each month of course. :) l would just like to add a thanks to the DnB crew whose works have been a massive influence on me these last few months ... you know who you are.

See you all for OSC 62.

V'ger I'll put my hand up for the the Wusik bundle.

V'ger wrote:The new 'no vote, no placing' -rule that's in play for the first time now may seem dramatic, but let's face it; the 'no vote, no prize' is much more dramatic and that's been for years now.

After all, one loses you a prize worth real money (sometimes a lot), the other nothing except being written bottom of a list.
Why this focus on winning prizes. We've discussed this in depth and it seems most participants are in it for the fun, not the prizes.

In one case you lose the financial reward (as said, most don't care), in the other instance you loose the actual admiration given to your track (what most are here for), that has been awarded in voting.

Look at it this way: if I vote for a track because it's good, I really resent the idea that my vote (or someone else's) is being taken away from that track because the applicant didn't vote himself. My admiration for that track stays the same, but now my 'effort' to vote for that track is gone. The incentive to vote should be linked to the prizes, but scoring should stay intact: if someone does not vote, that doesn't mean their track is less good because of that.

This issue (continuous focus on winning prizes) is seriously starting to hurt the spirit of the OSC :roll:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Why this focus on winning prizes. We've discussed this in depth and it seems most participants are in it for the fun, not the prizes.

In one case you lose the financial reward (as said, most don't care), in the other instance you loose the actual admiration given to your track (what most are here for), that has been awarded in voting.

Look at it this way: if I vote for a track because it's good, I really resent the idea that my vote (or someone else's) is being taken away from that track because the applicant didn't vote himself. My admiration for that track stays the same, but now my 'effort' to vote for that track is gone. The incentive to vote should be linked to the prizes, but scoring should stay intact: if someone does not vote, that doesn't mean their track is less good because of that.

This issue (continuous focus on winning prizes) is seriously starting to hurt the spirit of the OSC :roll:
When I started OSC, I must admit I dreamed of at least getting on the top 3 one time. I never dreamed of getting a prize, it was very much an afterthought. Also, after winning Aalto, and CM, I can say that I can't remember what prize I got, but I'll always remember those wins - which were unexpected. I definitely wasn't the happiest person making that results post for OSC61, but the show must go on.

I'm going to agree with Crimson here. V'ger and I agree on almost everything, but I'm still not sure about this rule. I think losing a prize is nothing compared to being pushed to the bottom of the list. It reminds me a bit of medieval shaming. Interestingly, in the beginning of OSC, this rule was in place, but at some point in the era of Tattiemannie I think it was changed, so there is a precedent for this.

Anyways, there are many safeguards we can put in place to make sure people vote. I'll send out reminders to those who have incomplete votes near the end - around the 12th-13th. (no spam).
Last edited by bjporter on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock wrote: You didn't miss it, bjporter will add/announce it soon enough now that the one for last month has been scooped up :D

I donated a Reaper license to the prize pool but we decided to hold it back until this one was taken.
Thanks for that laugh... that tiny text lol :lol:

Yup, it looks like we'll need to officially announce this prize.

bjporter wrote:
When I started OSC, I must admit I dreamed of at least getting on the top 3 one time. I never dreamed of getting a prize, it was very much an afterthought. Also, after winning Aalto, and CM, I can say that I can't remember what prize I got,
After winning CM you got Diva :hihi:

bjporter wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote: You didn't miss it, bjporter will add/announce it soon enough now that the one for last month has been scooped up :D

Thanks for that laugh... that tiny text lol :lol:

Yup, it looks like we'll need to officially announce this prize.
:tu:

ThePresent wrote:
bjporter wrote:
When I started OSC, I must admit I dreamed of at least getting on the top 3 one time. I never dreamed of getting a prize, it was very much an afterthought. Also, after winning Aalto, and CM, I can say that I can't remember what prize I got,
After winning CM you got Diva :hihi:
Ah was it? I never felt great taking Diva... and here I am barely spending time with her while she collects nanoscopic dust in my harddrive. FGAS - free gear aquisition syndrome? I'm hoping to do some 80's sounds with it eventually.

bjporter wrote: I'm hoping to do some 80's sounds with it eventually.
:tu: :tu: yes, the 80's, the best sounds ever made by synths!

bjporter wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote: Why this focus on winning prizes. We've discussed this in depth and it seems most participants are in it for the fun, not the prizes.

When I started OSC, I must admit I dreamed of at least getting on the top 3 one time. I never dreamed of getting a prize, it was very much an afterthought. Also, after winning Aalto, and CM, I can say that I can't remember what prize I got, but I'll always remember those wins - which were unexpected. I definitely wasn't the happiest person making that results post for OSC61, but the show must go on.

I'm going to agree with Crimson here. V'ger and I agree on almost everything, but I'm still not sure about this rule. I think losing a prize is nothing compared to being pushed to the bottom of the list. It reminds me a bit of medieval shaming. Interestingly, in the beginning of OSC, this rule was in place, but at some point in the era of Tattiemannie I think it was changed, so there is a precedent for this.

Anyways, there are many safeguards we can put in place to make sure people vote. I'll send out reminders to those who have incomplete votes near the end - around the 12th-13th. (no spam).
Agreed though slightly different in that I'm a relative newbie my first was the OSC cm, I dreamed of getting in the top 5 :pray: and possibility of a prize :hyper: (then the realisation sinks in and the words "in hells chance cat" float to the surface :lol: ).
But the thing that sets OSC apart from the rest is the friendly community it has, so I participated because it's fun, because I learn from others, hearing the good things from others spurs you on to improve, words of encouragement from peers encourage you to do the same. It's self-perpetuating. Majority of participants do participate in voting and the voting system has got a lot easier kudos Brian :clap: (though I didn't this month due to time, because haven't had chance to listen to this months either, but will be listening this week and I make some comments between decorating breaks).

The fact that others like parts of your slightly flawed music is 8) as they say beauty is in the ears of the listener :tu: .

I do understand the importance of voting, but think the no-prize was enough.
Let me put it this way when I first read the rules part about voting (yes after doing the song, because I only read the part of what made a song eligible :dog: ) I didn't think I was entitled to vote because of the must have 40 post rule, until I re-read it. Just thinking if the current rule was in place and I hadn't voted, as someone new I probably wouldn't have stuck around this fun comp. simply because it would have soured my experience.

That said congrats to the winners and everyone.

In contrary to many who believe that the focus is on winning prizes, I see it differently. To me, the focus is on voting not winning. It's there to encourage every contestant to vote. Why? without voting this contest will not be complete. OSC to me is not just about making a track and submit, it's about commitment. If someone cannot commit then why get into it at all? If people are in it just to get some feedback / review on their track then music cafe forum is the appropriate place to post it. Even SC can get you good feedback from your followers / friends. The question is why submit a track to OSC just for feedback?

Let me elaborate it a little with an example. How would a serious contestant feel if out of 30 tracks 20 didn't vote? I will certainly be very disappointed. Why? I also wanted some feedback on my track but now I am not even sure if those 20 even listened to my track (until unless they leave a comment on SC or forum). While I OTOH religiously followed the guidelines, listened to every track, provided feedback and voted but at the end I didn't get anything out of it. I don't like this selfish attitude of "submitting for feedback only" at all and I won't take these contestants and nor their tracks seriously.

2. The word "fun" is used many times. Well, I don't know everyone's definition of "fun"? To me it's equally fun to listen and vote as to write and submit a track.
crimsonwarlock wrote: In one case you lose the financial reward (as said, most don't care), in the other instance you loose the actual admiration given to your track (what most are here for), that has been awarded in voting.
How do you measure admiration given to your track?
crimsonwarlock wrote: if someone does not vote, that doesn't mean their track is less good because of that.
I don't think a track is less good if the person didn't vote? Jasinski's track is superb and will remain top even though he didn't vote. He is just not considered for prize distribution, that's all. Showing him at bottom with 160 pts makes it clear how good his track is.
----------

I am not sure how many are aware of the fact that earlier rule "No vote, no prize" didn't allow the prizes to flow to the next in line. Per the new rule, in OSC61, 6th and 7th positions will get a prize. What's wrong with that? One contestants mistake is another one's gain. It happens in every sports/competition.

I don't like the idea of taking 15 or 20 points away from the contestant who didn't vote. If you do it then do it properly, no in between. Either in or out.

Also, I would suggest that we should define a timeline for "rules voting" like every quarter, every 2 months or so.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:I am not sure how many are aware of the fact that earlier rule "No vote, no prize" didn't allow the prizes to flow to the next in line. Per the new rule, in OSC61, 6th and 7th positions will get a prize. What's wrong with that?
Is that your interpretation of the previous situation, or was there actually something in the 'no prize' rule that stated that the prize would not float onto the next in line? Was there an actual situation where this happened or didn't happen?

Return to “Instruments”