M-Audio controllers put out jumpy values?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

M-audio footpedal, and the mod wheel on my Axiom Impulse 61, worked fine for the first year or so, but then started getting jumpy and sticky. Recording a simple travel up and down slowly causes several peaks and troughs when moving to and from the neutral zone on both controllers, and the modwheel often won't close fully, it jumps around at small values and occasionally even sends out control values when it's untouched (which can be very annoying!).

Is my room dirtier than I think it is, or am I not alone in finding this?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Axiom Impulse? You mean Novation Impulse maybe? :P

ah yes. m-audio controllers come with there own built in hardware randomizer. there's a timer inside and usually one most own a m-audio midicontroller for 5 years or more before these things kick in. however the latest models, those made in the last 2-3 years have an upgraded randomizer that turns on after the second year.

The rotary encoders in my Axiom 49 2nd gen jump in value too... it's just sad that they always build shitty cheap potentiometers in stuff like that.

I got an Axiom last May.
It took sometime until I posted about an audio issue in the U-he forums, that led to finding out it was my Axiom controller sending midi data out, without any intentional sending of it.
Luckily the warranty was still available.
The replacement had a key die on me within a month.
Replaced that. A few months later and the new one had two keys velocity sensors die.
The first two replacements were mailed out after only a few days.
This last time, they received it on March 25th, and they still haven't sent it back.
I called and they say there's nothing they can do to send the replacement faster.
Just bought a new Samson Graphite25 today. I'll just sell the Axiom replacement when it gets mailed out.
In short...M-Audio sucks.
Love the size and the feel of the keys, but it's not worth it with all those issues.

This last time, they received it on March 25th, and they still haven't sent it back.
thats so great about retailer like thomann. you have three years warranty and they even send you a loan unit within two days if you want it, of course free of any costs.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

AstralExistence wrote:ah yes. m-audio controllers come with there own built in hardware randomizer. there's a timer inside and usually one most own a m-audio midicontroller for 5 years or more before these things kick in. however the latest models, those made in the last 2-3 years have an upgraded randomizer that turns on after the second year.
What can I say. You're a sarcasm god, and there's no competing with that.

At the very least, I now know that when one finally transcends this material dimension and reaches an "Astral existence", if you will, one has the gift of superior wit to look forwards to.

:party:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

chk071 and mcnoone, thanks for verifying that it's not just me.

It really is weird. The Impulse 61 seems to have really good build quality, it has semi-weighted keys, the sliders aren't bad, and it has freaking finger pads that light up different colours, yet something as basic as a mod-wheel fails after a year or so?

What a waste of money :/

I would have thought the Impulse is better in build quality compared to the Axiom too. Well, i had a talk with my father once, who fiddles a lot with electronics, since his youth, and he said, there's a lot of devices which have crappy potentiometers built in. He also said, that it's not much of a problem, to build some which last like forever. So i really have no idea why they want to save a little money on those... it's weird.

Sendy wrote:What can I say. You're a sarcasm god, and there's no competing with that.
i am. but i swear i wasn't trying to be rude. was just joking with you on account of having an m-audio radium 61 that after 7 years, did the same thing. mine did it with the mod wheel. it is true, today's m-audio products are not built to last like they were back in 2004 and before.

there designed to break in the same way that ford makes there automobiles. you have to pay for quality aka you get what you pay for so enjoy the ride while you can, cause sooner you will need to call triple a.

double post.

AstralExistence wrote:
Sendy wrote:What can I say. You're a sarcasm god, and there's no competing with that.
i am. but i swear i wasn't trying to be rude. was just joking with you on account of having an m-audio radium 61 that after 7 years, did the same thing. mine did it with the mod wheel. it is true, today's m-audio products are not built to last like they were back in 2004 and before.

there designed to break in the same way that ford makes there automobiles. you have to pay for quality aka you get what you pay for so enjoy the ride while you can, cause sooner you will need to call triple a.
No offense taken, I just can't resist a sarcasm competition.

Glad I'm not the only with M-Audio crappy problems :D

I posted this on a Samson Graphite topic here:
I got mine to replace my M-Audio Venom synth and controller. I like the synth very much, built in audio card with several inputs (I used it for my vst's), good controller matrix, good price, nice futuristic looks... But sad to say the build is toy quality. Input jacks are after 1 year of use already worn and giving problems. they are becoming loose, plus don't hold the jacks, they jump out ! Also the rotators are toyisch quality.
I was even thinking of putting new jacks in the machine, but it will cost more than the synth...
I'll miss my Venom !
I don't think I will buy M-Audio again in the future.
I also had jumping controllers problems. My pitch bender was stuck on a value many times.
I noticed sometimes that my sound was completely off tune. So many times I was suddenly playing in B# instead of C f.e. !!! Only solution is to touch the pitch bender. Not funny in live situations !!!

As stated, last time I buy M-Audio. The concept of the venom is great but it's toy quality.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

Sendy wrote:M-audio footpedal, and the mod wheel on my Axiom Impulse 61?
Can you confirm this problem is with the M-Audio Axiom, or the Novation Impulse?
Confused by this name of the Axiom Impulse, as there is no such thing.

I'm not sure about the "M-Audio was better back in the day" theory.
I have a Midiman Oxygen 8 that has the same jumpy pots. Which is kinda cool, I assign parameters to it and record in automation… it's kinda like some spiky random sample & hold action. Having a spiky knob isn't always fun though.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”