One-Synth-Challenge 61: OBXD - Submissions, Chat, Voting and Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

It is not my interpretation, it's a fact from an actual situation and I was part of it. Look at the December results here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-58-spectral

I came at 6 and Jasinski didn't vote (Sorry Jasinski, had to mention your name) but I was not given a choice for prize. I did check with V'ger through PM and found out it does not work that way.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

crimsonwarlock wrote:
satYatunes wrote:I am not sure how many are aware of the fact that earlier rule "No vote, no prize" didn't allow the prizes to flow to the next in line. Per the new rule, in OSC61, 6th and 7th positions will get a prize. What's wrong with that?
Is that your interpretation of the previous situation, or was there actually something in the 'no prize' rule that stated that the prize would not float onto the next in line? Was there an actual situation where this happened or didn't happen?
Something like this happened multiple times in the past, I'm fairly certain.

Personally, I completely agree with satYa on this. Basically, this contest and the community that makes it great is about the whole process, most importantly: creating a track and sharing feedback, challenges, etc.. When people don't vote generally it seems as though they don't bother even listening to other's entries, which is entirely against the spirit of the competition (though, not true for Jasinski - he's a pretty great guy, if you didn't know already). Sure, don't bother giving feedback on soundcloud, no problem. But at least listen to each and every track once. Not doing that shows you have no interest in anything but yourself. Good luck going through life that way.

z.prime wrote:Not doing that shows you have no interest in anything but yourself. Good luck going through life that way.
Was this aimed at someone specifically ? So far it has been pretty clear that most participants are of the right spirit. Nobody (so far) has aid he/she wouldn't want to vote or even listen to other tracks.

Anyway I don't see anything calling for such a reply. Let's keep this civilized.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

satYatunes wrote:I came at 6 and Jasinski didn't vote (Sorry Jasinski, had to mention your name) but I was not given a choice for prize. I did check with V'ger through PM and found out it does not work that way.
OK, so it wans't specifically stated in the rules but at that moment interpreted that way. Still doesn't mean we can have a 'no prize' rule that DOES shift prizes to the next one (by simply putting it into the rule that way).
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

z.prime wrote: Personally, I completely agree with satYa on this. Basically, this contest and the community that makes it great is about the whole process, most importantly: creating a track and sharing feedback, challenges, etc.. When people don't vote generally it seems as though they don't bother even listening to other's entries, which is entirely against the spirit of the competition (though, not true for Jasinski - he's a pretty great guy, if you didn't know already). Sure, don't bother giving feedback on soundcloud, no problem. But at least listen to each and every track once. Not doing that shows you have no interest in anything but yourself. Good luck going through life that way.
There must be some reason why Jasinski didn't vote this time otherwise he is totally committed to the contest. That's what I feel. I would think that he didn't have enough time to give a proper rating to each and every track. If he wanted to just put tracks in any of those 5 boxes he could have easily done that in 5-10 minutes. I totally respect his decision not to vote (or not capable to vote) rather than doing just for the heck of it. That's the kind of commitment every contestant should have.
Website | Portfolio

crimsonwarlock wrote:
z.prime wrote:Not doing that shows you have no interest in anything but yourself. Good luck going through life that way.
Was this aimed at someone specifically ? So far it has been pretty clear that most participants are of the right spirit. Nobody (so far) has aid he/she wouldn't want to vote or even listen to other tracks.

Anyway I don't see anything calling for such a reply. Let's keep this civilized.
I don't think he meant anyone specific. Some of my comments are similar but not aimed at anyone. It's just general observation and how I feel when I see those of kind of things in life.
Website | Portfolio

crimsonwarlock wrote:
satYatunes wrote:I came at 6 and Jasinski didn't vote (Sorry Jasinski, had to mention your name) but I was not given a choice for prize. I did check with V'ger through PM and found out it does not work that way.
OK, so it wans't specifically stated in the rules but at that moment interpreted that way. Still doesn't mean we can have a 'no prize' rule that DOES shift prizes to the next one (by simply putting it into the rule that way).
I don't know why it never made it to the rules. I had a few PM exchanged with V'ger on this topic. To be very honest I was not 100% convinced so I suggested to put this in next voting. I guess with the DQ setting this is now in place, hence no separate vote was asked.
So you also thought that it flows to the next in line, correct? That's the reason I had to put it out there today. It may open up new perspectives.
Website | Portfolio

I wanted to participate.

I'll never do.

Because for reason of health (with many stays at hospital) I can find the time to make tunes some months (not all) in a period of 30 days, but definitely I can't NEVER have the time to listen, to sort, and to vote... for EACH tune in a period of only 15 days ! Just for that, I'm definitely forbidden to participate and to express a vote which could count for the others !

Secondly: I totally don't give a damn of the prizes. I have enough excellent synths and plugins here at home to enjoy what I do for still decades. What I wanted was only participate to a kind place where people can talk about their tunes, the tips, the tricks they've used to get so amazing results, the way they compose, the differences between some short raw parts of their tune and their terminated equivalents after some effect or some other one, the reason why they made a choice between two EQ (or between two delays, etc.). And so on... In brief, real discussions on the music, real learning points shared each others and also to encourage and teach the newcomers with examples extracted from their nice tunes, etc.

But what do I see ? Absolutely nothing at all of all that ! Simply people who one after the other submit their new tune and make nothing else than a long list of the effects they used. And that's all!

And at the end... Hop!... the vote, the distributions of prizes, and terminated. Everyone goes to the next challenge.

It was yet discouraging for all the new comers because not only they learn anything about a challenge neither anything about the techniques (music, harmony, melody, construction of rhythms... use of the effects, reasons of the choices) used by the competitors, but now it is even worse since for whichever the reason an incomplete vote (or even the total impossibility to vote in the laps of 15 days, me for very hard reasons of health, others for many other reasons) will be sanctioned by a punishment !

Apart for all the geeks and for all the regular users of the monthly OSC challenge... where is the interest, where is the pleasure for all people who would like to participate? Some will do, yes... one or two new will try, but with your totally absent discussion on the MUSIC art of work itself which is in your tune and with the totally absent consideration to the simple pleasure to participate as would like others... you keep away many people who don't care at all for the prizes but who want to simply participate to a challenge and share thoughts, learn on techniques used for the music that you make to participate yourself!

I wanted to participate. But I don't see the least discussion on your methods, your choices, your techniques... Never! Only "Here is my submission, and here is the list of the effects I used", followed by the others who anwser "Nice track, bravo" (and there's nothing else which begins about the music itself), and then some days ago we see a long suite of "Voted, voted, voted..." And that's all!!! And worse, now I feel totally forbidden to participate in cause of an insane rule which is totally incompatible with the simple pleasure to participate... but also totally incompatible with the time I can spend to vote for many tunes (only 15 days) due for health reasons (for other people it will be for job reasons or many others, you don't think at all of all the people who have missions, job obligations, hard problems with their health, travels sometimes for a full week, etc.). You think only for yourselves! One criteria about the profile was cruelly missing at the beginning or at the end of your vote : "Check between these three definitions : I'm a regular competitor of the OSC, I'd like to become a competitor, I'm not interested to compete but I'm interested to vote". Who has voted, V'ger? Who? Not the names... but the profiles! Probably 90 or even 95% where the regular competitors for months and months! Who else? 2? 3 external persons?

There was yet not really deep discussions on the musique techniques used by the competitors to share their experience and/or to explain it to the newcomers... but now there's no more the least desire to participate from newcomers who just would like to participate to show what they do (awkwardly of geniously) with that same synth! And worse... there are many legitime reasons to not be able to vote!

I'm totally discouraged, and I now feel totally forbidden to participate. Like many others who will prefer to remain silencous because they have perhaps not (or even anymore) the wish to tell their deception.

(I'll crosspost to the general thread, because it is a very important aspect of the things that all you have totally rejected)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

^^^ I have a post in response to above in general discussion thread.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5722458

I am not gonna copy and paste here.. we can continue the discussion in other thread rather than repeating it in both...
Website | Portfolio

i think maybe anonymous voting would be a cool idea.

as it is now i am quite annoyed with the people who gave my song 2 points, that is not a 2 point song, and you're jerks cavegirl, cytonic, sayersweb.

and the people who gave it 1 point, disgusting, satYatunes and skyshaver. wtf???

this is the last osc for me. i do appreciate photonic and the others who were so cool.

satYatunes wrote:It is not my interpretation, it's a fact from an actual situation and I was part of it. Look at the December results here:

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-58-spectral

I came at 6 and Jasinski didn't vote (Sorry Jasinski, had to mention your name) but I was not given a choice for prize. I did check with V'ger through PM and found out it does not work that way.
i might just join osc again to downvote your songs the way youre downvoting everyone else.

you are a class A jerk.

Tony Ostinato wrote:as it is now i am quite annoyed with the people who gave my song 2 points, that is not a 2 point song, and you're jerks cavegirl, cytonic, sayersweb.

and the people who gave it 1 point, disgusting, satYatunes and skyshaver. wtf??
Are you serious? :o

You are going to come on here and complain [...] because a few people didn't like your track? I wouldn't normally respond to this type of childish behavior, but I was one of the members you called out (and mis-spelled btw). I generally don't get caught up in the commenting of tracks and the other social aspects of this competition, but I do carefully listen to every track that is submitted (in its entirety!), making notes and "pre-scoring" them before I put in my final votes. And frankly, I [just didn't like your track]. Not to say that you didn't try hard or anything, I just simply didn't like it. I prefer pieces that are more original and daring in composition, sound-design, and process. I understand that my tastes don't necessarily line up with you or the other members of the board (my favorite tracks usually end up toward the bottom of the list), but I'm okay with that and you should be, too.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to participate in a contest where every entrant had the same tastes. And what I like about this one is the variety of tracks that we get to hear every month.

So I'm sorry I (and a few other people) hurt your feelings because we didn't [like] your track. But please if you do join this contest again, don't be such a sore loser. Be glad that people took the time to listen, comment, and score your track according to THEIR TASTES.

And please don't derail this thread [...]. If you have issue with me personally, please PM me. I will not respond to you publicly again.

-Brad

*LIGHTLY EDITED for civility
Last edited by cytoSonic on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
Was this aimed at someone specifically ? ... Nobody (so far) has aid he/she wouldn't want to vote or even listen to other tracks.
Sorry, this was a general comment, not directed at you in any way. Apologies if it was interpreted that way.

But, there have been a number of people who have, in fact, said they didn't listen to the tracks and voted. Not the majority, for sure, but some occasionally.

boring?, its windsynth played in real time, not sequenced. i can play that whole thing live.

is it a takes one to know one kinda thing??

maybe you need 4/4 all the way thru.

Tony Ostinato wrote:boring?, its windsynth played in real time, not sequenced. i can play that whole thing live.

is it a takes one to know one kinda thing??
Tony,

Please let it go and please read the last line in my previous post.

(BTW, I don't care what kind of gear you used or how the MIDI data was entered. I found it boring. I find Kenny G's music boring too.)

-Brad

Return to “Instruments”