New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dcfac73 wrote:it's all good. If you can't argue on the internet, then where can you?

BTW, just saw some demos of the System 1- that looks better than I first thought. It doesn't sound quite analogue though. It's got a fresher kind of sound. Looking for a new synth too...currently tossing up between Pulse 2 or Tetra. Might have to add this to the list.
I don't have a Tetr4, but I did have a Prophet 08 and still have a MoPho, and frankly I'd go for the Pulse 2 in a heartbeat. I got it a few months ago and it quickly became a favorite.

I'm not sure about the System 1. Seems interesting but I've yet to hear a demo that made me think, "This sounds better than my VST instruments." When I heard the Kingkorg demos, I did think that and I picked one up used and I do think it's sonically superior to plug ins but I'm still in a trial phase with it.
Last edited by zerocrossing on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

ghettosynth wrote:
Kind of like the machinedrum? Or the Arturia Origin? The problem is that if you put enough power and control in the box to be competitive, people don't want to pay for it. Arturia gives you basically that with the Spark but they are putting the power in the PC, not the box. There is nothing stopping you from building a PC into a small case that sits under the Artuira that does nothing but run the drum machine.
Missed that...

Sure, most people are less likely to spend a lot of money on one of those, but I can easily imagine a 'TR-something' that offers new synthesis methods with a full hands on workflow (without any menus) and yet be self-contained (no silly self-build PCs placed below the drum machine just to run it) and still be very affordable.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Sure, most people are less likely to spend a lot of money on one of those, but I can easily imagine a 'TR-something' that offers new synthesis methods with a full hands on workflow (without any menus) and yet be self-contained (no silly self-build PCs placed below the drum machine just to run it) and still be very affordable.
Yes, that is my criticism.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
BTW: The silly PC idea is well respected, it's called a Muse Receptor.

Hold on....In that quote you are talking about a self-build PC not a bespoke and expensive machine made by a company, which nobody in their sane mind will buy only to run a drum machine.

himalaya wrote: Hold on....In that quote you are talking about a self-build PC not a bespoke and expensive machine made by a company, which nobody in their sane mind will buy only to run a drum machine.

Not a self build PC, but a small already built PC, e.g. Intel NUC.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh gosh, you are yet another master of obfuscation. :D
Now you bring reliability into this. Why? Nobody ( but you) mentioned this. It's not even an issue.

I'm simply pointing out to you that the idea in general is not silly.
In fact, it is most ridiculous and unrealistic: you want people to build their own PC (in addition to whatever computer they already may have) just to run a drum machine. :!:
The entire idea that a computer in PC case is somehow less reliable than a computer in drum machine is outdated
It's not about reliability but the extra cost and space and set up hassle. Which brings me neatly back to TR-8, a lovely, easy to use, easy to set up, and easy to transport stand-alone drum machine.

:idea: Hey, here's an idea. Let's spend days having a pointless argument about nothing!

Oh, reading the thread, I see you guys had the idea first.

pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
He's synonymous with the 808 though - so forgive the tongue in cheek reference and deference to his expertise on the issue.
He's synonymous with pointless and simplistic 808 jamming and "wack" rap, I'll give you that. He's certainly not made any progress and he hasn't seemed to learn much from musicians who rocked the 808 in the 90s.
I listened from the point you suggested... everyone in the audience looked unengaged... pretty much completely.
Exactly, and if you look at other videos of him playing live, it's pretty much the same schtick over and over again.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

himalaya wrote:Oh gosh, you are yet another master of obfuscation. :D
Now you bring reliability into this. Why? Nobody ( but you) mentioned this. It's not even an issue. It's not about reliability but the extra cost and space and set up hassle.
You can't have it both ways, either a drum machine is all that you need and then we can compare $500 of investment to something else, or, it's only part of a show, and then it makes sense to consider the cost of the all of the performance gear and not just the drum machine.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

damoog wrote: Ghettosynth...Even though some of your posts on this page make somewhat sense I just can't get my head around your negative attitude to the TR8,i am 40 years old nearly and I have purchased a TR8...YES DAMN RIGHT Ive got the TR8 and TB3 so I can pretend I'm 16 again... I'm looking forward to the acid house vibe as I did in my teen years
Yeah man, nothing wrong with YOUR choice to do YOUR thing as long as you recognize the truth of it.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
As I said, you can't have it both ways. You're envisioning some silly fantasy where you tuck your TR-8 into your messenger bag and run off for the gig where you pop it on the table and rock the house.
Actually my fantasy is more limited since I'm thinking of having it right in my studio together with my other hardware boxes. Whether others will take it out live, who knows. All of this is immaterial, since people still desire these sounds, especially in an easy to use, intuitive hardware drum machine.

If I were to get the TR8 it would sit beside my analog synths and during my hardware only jam session, the computer would be usually switched off, so whether you'd want me to buy a secondary PC just to run Spark or whether it would be the main PC supplying the power to it, I don't care since the PC would not even be powered on, this fact, seems very hard for you to accept or comprehend, I don't know which one...
To the argument that "the TR-8 is the closest thing to manipulating an 808 today", I disagree,
I know you would. By the same reasoning we could perhaps distill your thought process and end up with you claiming that in fact, the DX7 not only sounds exactly like the 808/909 but, what's more important, is much easier to use. I'm beginning to think that if I were to say, "ghettosynth, your KVR forum user name is ghettosynth" you'd reply with long condescending and patronizing post explaining how in fact, it isn't.

I think that I have resoundingly made the case that nobody is going to pay any attention to your retro 808/909 only masterpiece. Therefore,
Before your go forth with the "therefore" go back and read the comments of those who indeed have bought the TR8 or are planning to buy it.

himalaya wrote:All of this is immaterial, since people still desire these sounds, especially in an easy to use, intuitive hardware drum machine.

ghettosynth wrote:
What you're saying is that I'm right, Roland is targeting you as a customer. Fair enough, they're a modern corporation and their purpose is to provide a return for their shareholders.
So what are you saying? That all other companies making instruments are charitable institutions? They don't target customer groups but like magic fairies bring their products to all who dream about them?

ghettosynth wrote: My claim is that the TR-8 does not do enough by today's standards to be viewed as an innovative instrument.
Your claim is misguided, since the TR8 is not hailed as an innovative instrument.

And that Boss drum machine is supposed to be an example of an easy to use, intuitive drum machine?

himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: My claim is that the TR-8 does not do enough by today's standards to be viewed as an innovative instrument.
.. the TR8 is not hailed as an innovative instrument.
Then we agree, don't we, it's not.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”