FilterShaper 3 Tutorial

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We've just uploaded a FilterShaper 3 tutorial, with an in-depth look at its features and sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrjM65dkrcA

Hope you like it - let us know what you think!

Nice!

But I also would appreciate a pdf manual for quick reference. That's my nerdy style of learning things.

The best Cableguys tutorial I've seen so far, the earlier ones have seemed a bit amateurish too me and almost stumbling as they went along but kudos for this one. :tu: Introduces the basic concepts nicely and teaches us a few tricks in a couple of minutes, sweet and concise. Didn't quite grasp how you could consider this thing multiband and some other stuff til I saw the video, instant inspiration (and clarification). Happy to see you've kept the resonance distortion BTW. 8)

+ 1 for a PDF, but I've a feeling you Cableguys, eh, guys have some kind of anti PDF documentation principal going on on... :P Oh well, keep improving those tooltips then.

Congrats Jakob, thats the right direction !

Feel invited to even break it down more a bit,
as there are users on many genres not using filtering
as an every day production option.

When I watch tutorials I many times have the impression,
devs knowing their product from inside out
tend to loose the perspective of people just starting to use it
when it goes to the stage of presenting them.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Hi all,

Computer Music magazine just did our own hands-on guide to FilterShaper 3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKzt3sb0Yg

Thanks,

Lee du-Caine
Editor
Computer Music

Have to say this persuaded me to purchase, had it sitting in demo mode for a while. Wheeled it out again for a better thorough test,

1. Not the best filter when compared to The Drop/Metafilter, that doesn't mean its bad !!!! it isn't .
2. The killer in this plug is the modulation, you can modulate anything (nearly) and most importantly very easy to use and find your way around bearing in mind the amount of modulation that is possible. Thats really what the vid opened my eyes too.
4. Not a CPU monster like the Drop/Metafilter, sometimes you really dont need that kind of horsepower to achieve a great result, IMO this is a track insert plug, if you want pristine Master bus filter fx then maybe choose another one.
3. Very good demo policy too, no noise etc just sensible limitations, nice one guys.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote:2. The killer in this plug is the modulation, you can modulate anything (nearly) and most importantly very easy to use and find your way around bearing in mind the amount of modulation that is possible. Thats really what the vid opened my eyes too.
I completely oversaw your post before - glad you like FilterShaper and the vids!

Yes it's all about modulation. I personally love the presets from the Library that Konrad did - plus Earworm has uploaded new ones that you can get by syncing - both have gone very creative here.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Yes it's all about modulation. I personally love the presets from the Library that Konrad did - plus Earworm has uploaded new ones that you can get by syncing - both have gone very creative here.
If I install this plugin on a pc not connected to the internet, is there a way to download the new presets? Or is it only possible with syncing?

manducator wrote:
Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Yes it's all about modulation. I personally love the presets from the Library that Konrad did - plus Earworm has uploaded new ones that you can get by syncing - both have gone very creative here.
If I install this plugin on a pc not connected to the internet, is there a way to download the new presets? Or is it only possible with syncing?
To get new presets, you need to be connected to the Internet (Konrad's presets are included in FilterShaper's installer, but Earworm's are newer..)

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
manducator wrote:
To get new presets, you need to be connected to the Internet (Konrad's presets are included in FilterShaper's installer, but Earworm's are newer..)
Will check em out :D
Mac Studio

woodsdenis wrote:
1. Not the best filter when compared to The Drop/Metafilter, that doesn't mean its bad !!!! it isn't .
I don't understand this at all. Maybe someone could enlighten me on why the others are better?

I figured I'd just bump this instead of making a new thread. Clear demo, clear instructions, seems like a nice plug!

If you are looking for the best "specs" like oversampling, modeled filter types and having signal passing through it unaffected when filter is fully open etc, then it isn't the "best". Does all that really matter ? depends on what you want to use it for. I use this all the time, it is great for what it does, the modulation routings are crazy. I would recommend it highly. If you want ultra precision modeling etc get The Drop.

Certain VST compressors do different things better, same with filters.

Better is obviously purely subjective here.
Mac Studio

I don't think I'd know the difference. Seems to me that the layout is exactly what I want. I don't "know" it yet, but in playing around it seems right. I really don't think I'd like metafilter. For some reason watching vids on it left me going *yawn*

The drop I'll look into.

Maybe one of things I noticed with this was clicking with sharp edges. Not sure if that is normal or not. Much research to do.......

Hibidy, you may want to hold back back on evaluating the Drop for a bit; Andy is preparing a new beta for the 1.0 release. It's been greatly expanded since the last beta, which is wonderful, but the new one will be more so. Check the last page or so on the Drop's thread.

That said, I agree with Denis's last post here. FilterShaper has its own strengths, and is one of the best filter plugins out there.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

hibidy wrote:Maybe one of things I noticed with this was clicking with sharp edges. Not sure if that is normal or not. ..
That's intended! Sometimes you want some clicks with sharp edges, depends on the music you're doing - and if you don't, you can just edit the waveform until it's right. If you see sharp edges in the LFO waveforms you'll hear them, and if you smoothen the waveforms, the clicks are gone. So we're giving you all freedom to decide.

Return to “Effects”