Questions about clip launcher / arranger interaction

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. Can you record into the clip launcher or only the arranger?
2. Can you do a one button export from each view to the other?

Also, I'm not running Windows 7 so can't install the demo. Is there another way I can access the manual?

To record into the arranger, arm a track and arm the global record button in the transport. To record into a clip, arm the track and click the record button in the clip.

There's no one button export, but you can drag. Use the clip launcher in the arrange view to make this easier.

There's no one button export in either direction? You have to drag every track?

Or you can record launcher into arrange...

Just out of curiosity: what's the point of 2.) ?

Edit: You can select as as many Clips in the Clip Launcher as you want and drag them to the Arranger. You can select as many Clips in the Arranger and drag them to the Clip Launcher.
Is that what you want? Or what do you mean with "export"?
Did you try the demo?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

As I said in my post, I can't run the demo cos I don't have W7 installed, (I'm running Vista). Boo.

I want to save the entire contents of one view to the other, wiping out whatever is in the other view in the process.

You can't do this AFAIK.

I wasn't aware that the Demo can't be installed on Vista.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Notecrusher wrote:As I said in my post, I can't run the demo cos I don't have W7 installed, (I'm running Vista). Boo.

I want to save the entire contents of one view to the other, wiping out whatever is in the other view in the process.
You can record the Launcher into Arrange... then you can play the Launcher clips however you wish.

Notecrusher wrote:There's no one button export in either direction? You have to drag every track?
This is no problem! Yes, You have to drag every track or SELECT SCENE, or press SHIFT and select first clip and then last clip (for example from another scene) like normal selecting in the OS and drag all clip =) Or record from launcher, hit global record and play.
Drag and select everywhere =)
Last edited by napishu on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Notecrusher wrote:
Is there another way I can access the manual?

Manual for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B157EP ... lVbHBrNzQ/

Thanks for the manual link!

Recording in real time does me no good at all. If I have a 12 minute song it would take me 12 minutes to get it from the clip launcher into the arranger. I guess dragging the whole project will suffice. Is there at least a key command to Select All?

quite funny that you seem to be having problems with software you haven't even installed or used.

Notecrusher wrote:Thanks for the manual link!

Recording in real time does me no good at all. If I have a 12 minute song it would take me 12 minutes to get it from the clip launcher into the arranger. I guess dragging the whole project will suffice. Is there at least a key command to Select All?
Dragging the project over from Launcher to Arrange will not necessarily give you the same result. Suppose I have a clip that loops on one track after a short intro... or I am using Follow Actions in the Launcher.

Dragging a clip from Launcher to Arrange just puts the clip there... You are going from a non-linear environment to a linear one.

pdxindy wrote: Dragging the project over from Launcher to Arrange will not necessarily give you the same result. Suppose I have a clip that loops on one track after a short intro... or I am using Follow Actions in the Launcher.

Dragging a clip from Launcher to Arrange just puts the clip there... You are going from a non-linear environment to a linear one.
I would expect it to copy the scenes in order.

Yeah the thing it that simply exporting from one to the other isn't really going to work out right most of the time. When exporting from launcher to arrange you're not usually going to get the actual arrangement you want because some scenes should loop a few times or play over again like if you have a bridge, chorus, or verse scene. If you want to export from arrange to launcher your arrangement might have some things that don't work well as loops because they won't start exactly on the bar or something. The only way to make sure it isn't messed up is to do it manually.

I tried to hit ctrl + a to select everything to see if that would work for you and I found some interesting behavior that I didn't know before. In the arrange hitting ctrl + a once selects everything in a track, but double tap a and you get the whole project selected. In the launcher once selects all the clips in the track, and twice selects all the clips in the scene. But in the launcher you can just shift click at the top left and bottom right to grab everything. So its no big deal to select it all and drag it one way or the other especially considering how often you will be doing that. You really need to try it out to get a feel for how you will be using the program. From what you've been saying I'm guessing you haven't used Live either so it should be pretty hard for you to just guess how you are going to work.

Return to “Bitwig”