Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

meldavid wrote:Upgrade for any registered customer to Sonar X3 for $29.

http://www.store.cakewalk.com/default.a ... SR3.00-30E

I am on X2 Producer. So if I take up this offer I can use the latest version of Sonar but not have the extra stuff like Melodyne?
The basic version of X3 doesn't have ProChannel. So you might want to double-check with the Bakers if you can use your ProChannel modules (including the stock ones) from X2 in the cheapo X3. You might be ok with X3 studio, which does include pro-channel, but probably not with the "essential" X3.

I bought Fanfare from MF on April 9, got it through DHL yesterday, installed it – WILL NOT ACTIVATE. I get the alert that the serial is already activated "by another account". Nonsense, I only have one account with NI.

I contacted MF immediately and just now got the reply – Sample Logic doesn't allow activation any more of Fanfare sold through MF, so I'm offered a full refund against a promise to destroy the DVDs and preferably send a photo showing that the DVDs really are destroyed.

Of course I'm extremely disappointed. I could have used my time wasted on writing support requests from SL and NI more creatively. Sheesh…

So don't bother anymore.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Does not sound good. My order for Fanfare & Rumble is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Not looking forward to the time wasted with this one! I really hope MF know about the situation. I have no quarrel with Musicians Friend, but I dont think I will be purchasing another Sample Logic product in the future.

When my install inevitably doesn't work, Do you think its best to call, or email using the email musicians friend with the email provided earlier in this thread? How are you guys getting the additional $25 for the hassle? Asking for it, or do they offer it? I'm assuming if I call customer service they will not offer me anything additional as I can't imagine all call reps are aware of the situation...
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

I had a live chat with them. And once they ascertained it was a samplelogic product, I got a copied&pasted response offering the refund+credit in return for mailing back the DVDs (with a pre-paid label sent to me by email).

Spitfire31 wrote: I contacted MF immediately and just now got the reply – Sample Logic doesn't allow activation any more of Fanfare sold through MF,
/Joachim
Well if there is a blanket ban by Sample Logic on Fanfare sold through Musicians Friend, it seems it is all about the price and the serials have not been stolen ........How can someone steal all those serials.

Not good.

This is a little confusing to me. Is it possible for SL to "pull the serials"? How would that work exactly? Wouldn't that require them to know exactly which serials were being sold out of MF and then specifically pull those serials?

Also it begs the question why is Rumble registering fine for everyone? That product is just as marked down as Fanfare is with no issues. So I don't know what's going on, but it doesn't completely add up in my mind that SL is deliberately blocking serials sold to the MF/GC chain. I feel like something might have happened that rendered those serials invalid or stolen at some point along the manufacturing/distribution chain. What SL is doing is NOT issuing new serials to replace the invalidated ones. I don't think any of us are in a position to definitively assign blame for who/what caused the invalidation in the first place.

SL claims the serials were stolen by an employee at GC and MF's post seems to suggest it's an issue on SL's registration side. Honestly, if these serials were stolen by an employee then I can kind of understand SL's hesitation to issue new serials especially since it seems this will cost them in fees with NI. I would be weary of puting blame on any party without having the information. I really do believe MF's response in making things right for the customer has been fantastic so far!

astonisher wrote:I'm just hesitant to put blame on any party without having the information.
Agreed. If SL isn't pulling the serials, then I can't imagine they know the real story, either.

A manufacturer, such as SL, could easily track which ranges of serials it sells to which vendor. This could give it valuable real-time sales data of their products.

In the event of serial theft, it is the thief that should be penalized, not the legitimate customers. An investigation needs to be opened via the appropriate law enforcement authorities. Assigning blame for theft and violating the EULA with customers is not the way to go.

yevster wrote:In the event of serial theft, it is the thief that should be penalized, not the legitimate customers. An investigation needs to be opened via the appropriate law enforcement authorities. Assigning blame for theft and violating the EULA with customers is not the way to go.
Sorry, you are incorrect, this is not how the law works in this country. If you buy a stolen car, you aren't allowed to keep it and you aren't going to be compensated by the person from whom the car was originally stolen.

Uncle E wrote:
yevster wrote:In the event of serial theft, it is the thief that should be penalized, not the legitimate customers. An investigation needs to be opened via the appropriate law enforcement authorities. Assigning blame for theft and violating the EULA with customers is not the way to go.
Sorry, you are incorrect, this is not how the law works in this country. If you buy a stolen car, you aren't allowed to keep it and you aren't going to be compensated by the person from whom the car was originally stolen.
We not buying a used car from an individual, we are buying a license to run a sample library. How can those licenses be pulled by the company after the fact?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

HandheldSound

It's Easter & post Passover weekend.
Give yourself a MAD treat!

Get our ultra playable and responsive Drum Kit MAD for only $49! (reg. $79)

MAD is a deeply sampled Drum Kit series full of nuance and control.

Read on...Listen...Watch...
and get MAD!

Enter "madeaster" coupon code at checkout.
Offer good thru Monday 4/21/14

http://handheldsound.com/instruments/?m ... d7e14abfe6
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Can someone please clarify that Sample Logic are blocking all serials from MF? Will this also include Rumble serials?
I missed my DHL delivery yesterday here in the UK so I wont be able to get my copies of Fanfare and Rumble beforeTuesday.

So long as it's still alright to do so, I'll mention my own Easter Sale. 25% off everything till Wednesday the 23rd

http://www.aiynzahev-sounds.com/shop

Best Regards!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Nice Aiyn. Good stuff from you always!

First...Uncle E- tons of respect bro. And I agree that is how the law works in my country USA.

But a license should be a different beast. If you pay for a license you are entitled to all of the benefits of that license. The serial number is NOT the license. It is an identifier. And software companies have been skirting this issue for a long time.

If I pay Steinberg for Cubase, it is my understanding that it is basically for a license...whether I get a serial or not technically should be irrelevant. Heck it might even be up to me to find the software! But I am due all of the benefits of everything that comes with that license. If a serial got ripped, stolen, lost, misplaced, mis-typed, mis-doubtfired, or whatever before I payed for the license, it should not be attached to my rights under the license.

Even should I lose my serial it should be a snap to get it replaced, unless I broke the license agreement. Some software companies get this, and have no problem re-issuing or issuing new serial numbers under genuine circumstances.

If a company feels that serials are misused or stolen (a violation of licensing rights) those numbers need to be negated and new numbers issued to the proper buyers along with an investigation as to who stole what!

Humbly,

Jon

thejonsolo wrote:But a license should be a different beast. If you pay for a license you are entitled to all of the benefits of that license. The serial number is NOT the license. It is an identifier.
Yes, I completely agree. I was only referring to what actually happens, not the sensible system you're describing.
If a company feels that serials are misused or stolen (a violation of licensing rights) those numbers need to be negated and new numbers issued to the proper buyers along with an investigation as to who stole what!
Yes, I completely agree again. Even in that scenario, though, who bares the cost while that's all being figured out? All I know is I'm glad I'm not in SL's shoes right now, I genuinely feel bad for them.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”