How to duck a specific band?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For a soundtrack, I have one dialog track and one background-music track. When there's dialog, I want to attenuate the same frequencies in the background music to make room for the dialog.

So, I want multi-band compression on the music triggered by a side-chain from the dialog; at least I think that's what I want.

What are my options here?
If you criticize Spitfire Audio, the mods will lock the thread.

Why don't you want to use a simple sidechain to attenuate ALL frequencies of the background music?

But what came to my mind is that you could use a Dynamic EQ, for example Flx by Toneboosters which is actually a multiband compressor combined with an EQ...

Doesn't this depend on what DAW you're using and how it handles sidechaining?

I'm pretty sure Cubase comes with a generic multiband compressor which, under VST3 specs, should accept sidechain input. For speech ducking you'd probably want to focus on attenuating the midrange. Set the sidechain up and set the compressors on the high and low bands to settings that produce no compression.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Tricky-Loops wrote:Why don't you want to use a simple sidechain to attenuate ALL frequencies of the background music?
The quality of the script is poor. I wrote it myself. Everything the characters say is dumb. But I'm putting my all into the background music, and I want it in the foreground as much as possible, without masking the dialog and making it inaudible. So this compression scheme is the idea I had.
Tricky-Loops wrote:... But what came to my mind is that you could use a Dynamic EQ, for example Flx by Toneboosters which is actually a multiband compressor combined with an EQ...
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-flx/

This looks like it does what I'm asking for. Thank you.

Sendy wrote:Doesn't this depend on what DAW you're using and how it handles sidechaining? ...
I have never side-chained with a DAW before. I'm using Reaper (VST2 only), and one of the standard Reaper compressors (ReaComp) supports side-chaining, and the other standard Reaper compressor (ReaXcomp) is multi-band; but neither seems to support both features at the same time. I did read how to do side-chaining with Reaper, though. Whether that would work with 3rd-party VST's under VST2 is an important question, you're right.
Sendy wrote:... For speech ducking you'd probably want to focus on attenuating the midrange. Set the sidechain up and set the compressors on the high and low bands to settings that produce no compression.
Thank you.
Last edited by BachRules on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For conventional sidechaining I always use ReaComp which is pretty easy to set up! The ReaXComp multiband compressor doesn't support sidechaining as far as I know... :cry:

I use a side-chained dynamic equalizer for this sort of thing. My favorite is MDynamicEQ from Meldaproduction, which is perfectly suited to this application.

The trick is to use the sonogram to watch the side chain signal and position a band-shelf filter over the range where the dialog/vocal has the most energy. Then it's mostly a matter of tweaking the dynamic range to taste, and perhaps the attack time.

With Reaper you can use parameter modulation with the standard ReaEQ (or any EQ) to make a static setting into a dynamic proccess.

Check out the parameter modulation section in the userguide. It's a bit complicated to explain, and fiddly to get to grips with but once you get it working, it's damn useful.

Basically, you want to route your vocal to your music track/bus (on channels 3-4, not 1-2)

Then insert your EQ on the music track, and use the parameter modulation options to have the vocal channel signal attenuate the frequency band(s) of your choice

I think Pro-MB will do it pretty slick.
And its prettier than TB Flx. :P
ImageImageImageImage

wavesfactory trackspacer. it's the bidness.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

SpaceBoy

IQ4gui, a free dynamic EQ should do the trick.

Last edited by Lesha on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's easy if you know how

Stop searching. This is what you need: TrackSpacer.
http://www.wavesfactory.com/Trackspacer
:wink:

Return to “Effects”