New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: My claim is that the TR-8 does not do enough by today's standards to be viewed as an innovative instrument.
Your claim is misguided, since the TR8 is not hailed as an innovative instrument.
Are you kidding? Did you miss the massive hype fest where Roland hailed it as "the next step in dance music hardware?" I didn't even think it was the next step for them, and forget about the power of something like a Mashinedrum (though I so hate their idea of a UI)

Hell, I'd say that a Nord Drum 2 and their Nord Beat 2 iPad sequencer is a far better instrument in every way than the TR-8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnptn_pGXUY

Just as good sounding and a ton more variation in sound. OK, you'll need an iPad to run the sequencer, but many already have one or, like me, would be happy running it from Live's sequencer or even with my Tenori-on.

I'm not telling you to not buy a TR-8. I do think they sound pretty damn good and the price is OK, but I feel that you'll be better off waiting until all the other kids have gotten board with theirs and are selling them on eBay. I'd give it 6 months.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
himalaya wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: My claim is that the TR-8 does not do enough by today's standards to be viewed as an innovative instrument.
Your claim is misguided, since the TR8 is not hailed as an innovative instrument.
Are you kidding? Did you miss the massive hype fest where Roland hailed it as "the next step in dance music hardware?"
Are you kidding? Since when is massive hype fest claim of the "next step in dance music production" synonymous with innovation? In any case, go and read the promo blurb for the TR-8 on Roland's web pages. There is no sign of any claim to innovation, but of evolution of the TR-XXX.
Roland the company wrote: It’s the TR…evolved.
But, the whole 'innovation' angle was brought on as the strawman argument, since nobody here, at least not me, is claiming that the TR8 is innovative (in the larger drum machine context). I feel we are going to go round this topic once more again since people don't read posts.

So just when the conversation got interesting with ghettosynth's manic (but effective! :hihi: ) search for Kriminal's quotes, you pop in with this party pooper. :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

zerocrossing wrote:Are you kidding? Did you miss the massive hype fest where Roland hailed it as "the next step in dance music hardware?"
In Roland's defense, they didn't actually say the step was forward :hihi:

zerocrossing wrote: Hell, I'd say that a Nord Drum 2 and their Nord Beat 2 iPad sequencer is a far better instrument in every way than the TR-8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnptn_pGXUY
Yes, Nord recognizes that, today, we can do much better than just having the simple analog models of percussion that everyone used in the seventies and early eighties.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oh dear. The drama. The intensity. The grasping at straws. :D
ghettosynth's dramatic run to the finish line wrote:
today’s
Perfectly valid. We live today and make music today. Some still using 808/909 sounds.

studio
Perfectly valid. That's where we make music.

stage
Perfectly valid. Why can't it be used live? Indeed it can.

genre-defining sounds
Which is true. The 808/909 did define different music genres.

modern performance features
Perfectly valid. There is a whole list of stuff that wasn't in the original 808/909, but is included in the TR-8. In this context, it works. However, of course in context of other modern designs, these look lame and conservative.

new generation.
Absolutely right. There is a new generation of musicians who desire these sounds and want them in a hardware box (rather than obtained by using samples). Rather than spend £2000 on the 808 and £2000 on the 909, they can get TR8 for £400. What a bargain (for those who want these sounds! 'Cause I feel you will instruct me some more on how these sounds, that nobody supposedly use, are of any use even at £400!)

Recently David Ahlund and Sluwe Vos put the Aira products through their paces at the European DanceFair 2014 – with Roland heritage firmly cemented in the creation of electronic dance music, the new AIRA products have the TB-303, TR-808 and TR-909 to rely on and push new boundaries when it comes to creating electronic dance music.
Oh, there's some hyperbole, I give you that. But it's hardly worthy of use for basing your innovation argument on. Seriously. Would you rather use the Hubble Telescope next time to find fine straws in space?
ghettosynth wrote: So all of you that have been blabbing on about how I'm missing the point are confused with respect to Roland's vision.
:lol: you really have gotten you panties in a twist over a promotion blurb, which in the majority of cases is always about gobbledegook.
ghettosynth wrote: So please, enlighten me again with respect to my original question, who do they think is going to buy these MODERN PERFORMANCE FEATURES?
I'm afraid you are repeating yourself and enlightening wouldn't take effect in your case. Nobody will buy those modern performance features. People will buy a drum machine with cool 808/909 emulation sounds, easy of use, direct parameter control, stand alone....I'm beginning to think you are a bot, that's why you don't take this in.
ghettosynth wrote: have been blabbing
Yes, you have. :D as you can see, there is nothing in the promo blurb that would invoke any controversy about the TR-8's innovatory status.

It's only a drum machine. You have lots of them, so you definitely don't need another one, thus I wonder what your mission here is all about?

himalaya wrote:
new generation.
Absolutely right. There is a new generation of musicians who desire these sounds and want them in a hardware box (rather than obtained by using samples).
Again, who?
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Are you kidding? Did you miss the massive hype fest where Roland hailed it as "the next step in dance music hardware?"
Haha, true... the next step can always be regressive.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

himalaya wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
himalaya wrote:
Are you kidding? Did you miss the massive hype fest where Roland hailed it as "the next step in dance music hardware?"
Are you kidding? Since when is massive hype fest claim of the "next step in dance music production" synonymous with innovation? In any case, go and read the promo blurb for the TR-8 on Roland's web pages. There is no sign of any claim to innovation, but of evolution of the TR-XXX.
Roland the company wrote: It’s the TR…evolved.
But, the whole 'innovation' angle was brought on as the strawman argument, since nobody here, at least not me, is claiming that the TR8 is innovative (in the larger drum machine context). I feel we are going to go round this topic once more again since people don't read posts.

So just when the conversation got interesting with ghettosynth's manic (but effective! :hihi: ) search for Kriminal's quotes, you pop in with this party pooper. :D
Sir, you're the one who said no one said it was innovative, and I merely responded that the company who made it claimed it was. I wasn't talking about the "evolved" statement either, I was talking about the video teaser that promised us "the next step" though as was pointed out, they never said it was a step forward. :hihi:
Zerocrossing Media

ghettosynth wrote: Again, who?

Put up or shut up. All we've seen so far from the fanbois are a handfull of hasbeens and wannabes with sideways hats and jerry curls.
Your arrogance is uncontrollable, it seems. There are other users ( no, not me) right in this very thread who told you pages ago that they have bought the TR8 or are planning to buy it. Somebody has already called you out on this arrogant stance, which now has become distasteful. Well done!

According to you, we need to find you a DJ-hero-superstar in order to satisfy your hunger for validation. The KVR users are the non-musicians, the "hasbeens", the unworthy who don't know anything about drum machines and are led by the devilish Roland marketing blurb to hell. We need to validate a new release from Roland by the omniknowing ghettosynth. Heaven forbid that people, actual, real people dare to express interest in a new drum machine that inspires them. It does not inspire you, we get it, move on! The chip on your shoulder is the size of that Hubble Telescope that you had used to find straws.

himalaya wrote:Oh dear. The drama. The intensity. The grasping at straws. :D
He is providing clear arguments backed up with examples... you are reduced to "na-ahh"

It's almost as if, ghettosynth, you need to validate it all via a big name, in order to feel comfortable. I suppose when you buy an instrument you go out looking for the big names to see who is using it and how successful they are at it? This is the essence of that ridiculous and arrogant post of yours. Very sad.

pdxindy wrote: examples.
Of what?

himalaya wrote:
pdxindy wrote: examples.
Of what?
Read the posts...

I have.

But it seems you don't read mine. I already told you, about the new features that Roland is promoting how they relate to 808/909 and to the new designs by other companies. Please try to keep up.

zerocrossing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Haha, true... the next step can always be regressive.
Roland has always been on the forefront of regressive fusion pop.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”