Guess the synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Me to :)

if commercial
Xils Lab Poly KB II, Spire, Z3ta 2, Synthmaster

If free that would be even cooler I'd guess maybe voyager.

Mutant wrote:Synth1
Yeah, I also think it`s Synth1...calling from memory, since I haven`t heard Synth1 in ages. Those sounds are no more sophisticated sounding then Synth1...although a great synth, it has that character of everything sounding the same.
Did I hear some FM in there?
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Sendy wrote:Is it Saurus?
+1 here.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I don't think it is Saurus or any expensive synth like that. Since it will be a free soundset, it is likely a free or SE/SM synth because few people make free soundsets for quality synths. The sound quality is not stellar, either, in my view, but that might have to do with Soundcloud.

Whatever it is, it allows to modulate the panorama with an LFO if I heard that right. It also has a distortion unit and an arp it seems.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't think it is Saurus or any expensive synth like that. Since it will be a free soundset, it is likely a free or SE/SM synth because few people make free soundsets for quality synths. The sound quality is not stellar, either, in my view, but that might have to do with Soundcloud.

Whatever it is, it allows to modulate the panorama with an LFO if I heard that right. It also has a distortion unit and an arp it seems.
In the past i had published free patches for commercial synths e.g. Largo, Dune, TAL Bassline-101, NI Monark, Tassman 4, Strobe (from Synth Squad), kHs ONE and others.

Feature wise Saurus seems to fit and with the around 270 patches i made for it so far there are all kind of sounds including several that are supposed to sound "typically digital".

Anyway of course i could be totally wrong like several times before in such guess the synth games.
synthsoundz wrote:
Sendy wrote:Has anybody guessed correctly?
Yes, it was amongst the guesses.
This huge variety of very diverse guesses it quite funny though...
Based on this comment it should be a synth posted at the first two pages so it should be one of those.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Oops, had not read that post where he said it has already been mentioned...

Some sounds do sound a bit Oberheimish in my view :) So maybe one of those emulations, but the arp rules out the OBXD, unless he used an external arp.

It has two oscillators, one can hear that from the semitone detuning of one lead sound, so it is not the U-NO-LX.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Oops, had not read that post where he said it has already been mentioned...

Some sounds do sound a bit Oberheimish in my view :) So maybe one of those emulations, but the arp rules out the OBXD, unless he used an external arp.

It has two oscillators, one can hear that from the semitone detuning of one lead sound, so it is not the U-NO-LX.
This is a list of synts mentioned until that comment from the OP (possible i maybe missed one or two...):
Arturia Mini V, Synth1, LuSH-101, Diva, Ultra Analog, Saurus, Oatmeal, Waves Element, Massive, Rerologue, Wavestation, ImpOSCar, OBXD, Dune 2, Rob Papen Blue 2.

Some of those should be quite easy to exclude from the possible synths like e.g. the Wavestation (would be a HUGE surprise if this is the synth...).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

synthsoundz wrote:
Sendy wrote:Has anybody guessed correctly?
Yes, it was amongst the guesses.
This huge variety of very diverse guesses it quite funny though...
i knew it all long :harp: :oops: :party:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

ENV1 wrote:I just listened to it again and noticed that there was a scene with drums in it. Since the caption says 'All sounds are from the same VA', i have to assume that this includes the drums as well.

This and the fact that there was definitely some sequencing going on strongly hints at the WAVESTATION. The sound character of the synth and especially the quality of the FX dont seem to be standing in the way of this idea either, in fact they seem to fit the bill rather well.
Totally missed those drums.

Still, they sound nothing like any drums I've ever heard out of the Wavestation.
And generally it does totally not sound like the Wavestation at all ... completely different character.
(Also I wouldn't call the Wavestation a "VA Synth".)

Nokenoku wrote:Totally missed those drums. Still, they sound nothing like any drums I've ever heard out of the Wavestation.
Its a Kick, Hats and a Sidestick. The WS has those.

Nokenoku wrote:And generally it does totally not sound like the Wavestation at all ... completely different character.
Well, i disagree. I think the basic tonal character is there, especially in the FX. The question is how much processing there was afterwards, if any.

The only thing that actually makes me wonder is the way the sync sounds. The WS doesnt exactly excel at that. Especially when youre using the 'wrong' waveforms it can sound rather uncool. I mean its not impossible to make it sound good but still i wonder.

Well, we will see. There are so many decent sounding softsynths out there, unless youre having some dead-giveaway clue its near impossible to get it right just by listening to a soundcloud clip anyway. Like i said, id find it way easier to tell what it isnt.

Nokenoku wrote:Also I wouldn't call the Wavestation a "VA Synth".
Neither would i. 8)

The Wavestation does not even have the required filters to do some of those sounds.
And the Kicks, Snares and Hats I heard out of it, sound different than the ones in the demo.

I'd still vote for the ImpOSCar.

Retrologue?

Nokenoku wrote:The Wavestation does not even have the required filters to do some of those sounds.
Like what?

Give me a time index and ill check again.

Maybe i was listening too hastily.

(Im having constant problems with soundcloud, i was glad to get it running twice.)
Nokenoku wrote:And the Kicks, Snares and Hats I heard out of it, sound different than the ones in the demo.
The basic drum sounds can be altered to the extreme by using the FX alone.

Check out Card2, its full of different sounding kits all of which are based on the same basic waveforms.
Nokenoku wrote:I'd still vote for the ImpOSCar.
Lets hope the OP doesnt keep us in suspense forever. :hihi:

It can't be ImpOSCar, there are sync sounds.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Instruments”