Waves L2 alternatives

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any good alternatives for waves L2 with similar interface?

I usually work so that I click and drag the button in the middle so that both the treshold and out ceiling sliders move simultaneously.

I find this the best workflow to evaluate if the limiting introduces undesired artifacts.

I know that Fabfilter Pro-L, Sonnox Oxford Limiter and Voxengo Elephant are pretty good but their UI is such that when you increase the amount of limiting (gain), the signal also gets louder. In my opinion it is more difficult to judge if there becomes undesired artefacts to the signal, when its level changes when you change limiting.

Or is it perhaps possible in some of these plugins to change a setting so that you have similar operation to L2...?

In terms of the Fabfilter Pro-L, I do remember that if you hold down the CTRL (IIRC) and then drag down the gain knob, it works like the L2 maximizer concept.

Please consult the tutorial videos for Pro-L by Dan Worral. I think he mentioned that.

Else... The only thing that came close to the L1/L2 software limiter, was George Yohng's W1.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

try out barricade from toneboosters it has a monitor function to listen to the limiter operation without loudness gain. it's a transparent brickwall limiter you won't miss the L2 for sure.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:try out barricade from toneboosters it has a monitor function to listen to the limiter operation without loudness gain. it's a transparent brickwall limiter you won't miss the L2 for sure.
AGREEED! +1
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

With Pro-L, you hold down the Alt key while changing the gain slider. This causes the limit value to be adjusted by the same amount in the opposite direction. Very handy.

I have a question. Is there something wrong with the waves? It's on sale right now and I had considered it.

Love my L2. Picked it up in a previous bargain sale and use it all the time. Does it colour stuff? Maybe I just like the colour.

hibidy wrote:I have a question. Is there something wrong with the waves? It's on sale right now and I had considered it.
I'm bumping this to the OP.

hibidy wrote:
hibidy wrote:I have a question. Is there something wrong with the waves? It's on sale right now and I had considered it.
I'm bumping this to the OP.
No, nothing wrong with the L2 except maybe price. If you use it on the drum bus, guitar bus and lightly on vocals, you will immediately recognize the sonic characteristics from music you know from the radio. I can only assume that's also the case for electronic music.

But on the master, I find Pro-L to be much more transparent as in it doesn't cover details with this excited-sounding high-mid color; it doesn't impart its own sound on everything as much.

Having tried the Toneboosters Barricade version that comes free wit CM magazine, I must say that Barricade works just as well on drums as L2, but it preserves the frequency balance better. So depending in your needs, you might want to try Barricade CM first.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Cool, thanks.

137 is still quite a bit higher than 89 so unless it's just the greatest limiter in the world, not sure if I want to spend that right now. I guess I should demo them. How long is the fabfilter price good for? (edit, till the 24th)

Cool, that will give me a good play. It will be interesting to see how pro l and the waves out do something like what I have (which considering how little I "master" has been sufficient so far)

Anything would be better than the L2 so my recommendation is anything other than the L2 :)

TIMT
I

lolz, well that explains it then!

I have to say that for me, if I'm not going to get 20db increase in volume w/o any artifacts, aliasing, or distortion I'm going to be a tough sell :D

golemus wrote: I know that Fabfilter Pro-L, Sonnox Oxford Limiter and Voxengo Elephant are pretty good but their UI is such that when you increase the amount of limiting (gain), the signal also gets louder. In my opinion it is more difficult to judge if there becomes undesired artefacts to the signal, when its level changes when you change limiting.

Or is it perhaps possible in some of these plugins to change a setting so that you have similar operation to L2...?
I've been saying for a long time the L1 had the best GUI and functionality ever.
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
electro wrote:GUI overhaul is not as small a consideration as you may think and sliders are better than knobs. Some capable people at the OBxd thread brainstormed and ended up donating a GUI.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=795
I would like to repeat, how many sliders do you need in Elephant4? It already offers a slider on the input gain meter. There is no slider handle, but it works just like a slider, and looks uncluttered - you see where the threshold is at exactly.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

here's another vote for Barricade by Toneboosters, the new version is remarkably clean sounding.

Return to “Effects”