Do people still make Acid House anymore?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You know, stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAeXmWIUX_Y

Is this genre dead or are there still some survivors/remenents out there?

All that shit is dead, but, you know, there are still some diehards.

I note that Bam Bam is on there, I'm guessing that it's the same Bam Bam as featured here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGjCz9TU15I

Aint going to lie, that stuff still gets me moving.

Must have MOOOOOOOOOOOORRREEEEEEEEEEE BAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS.....

That's not enough, here's some more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6_Y2eoAlAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8u4Ol33pP8

ghettosynth wrote:All that shit is dead, but, you know, there are still some diehards.
I was asking because I'm making some acid-inspired stuff myself and I just wanted to know if anyone was doing the same.

Also, I didn't expect to hear a bunch of hard house but thanks for it anyway! :D

It's not a viable genre, as is cheesy super saw, so yes people still make acid house in their sheds, but commercial mainstream is vacant, all serious people retreated to sheds and that's it, no one's gonna waste time to compete with avicci and the likes on mainstream radios, TV's with their acid tracks, because it's a dead endeavor from a get go.
After all they have to pay bills, and running from one shitty club to another in different countries with their music, isn't an option.
So acid, like many things is just a recreational thing for the most part, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOhx6vLlFxM
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

LaKnabodeNY wrote:You know, stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAeXmWIUX_Y

Is this genre dead or are there still some survivors/remenents out there?
Yes. Ppl still make music of all genres.

I wanna make a couple acid inspired braindance tracks sooner or later...AFX's tracks of 2000-ish in that vein got me both into idm and the 303 sound.
I think people saying it's cliched and can't be used anymore just lack imagination - it's an instrument like any other, and a basic but cool sound. You can avoid the cliches of simplistic hypnotic acid patterns, though playing with that can be fun too.

Not that interested in purist oldschool acid house, though. I can appreciate the historical value, but have heard nothing that puts an entirely new spin on it.

LaKnabodeNY wrote: Is this genre dead or are there still some survivors/remenents out there?
People still make it.
TB-303's, XOXbox's and the like are quite popular.
Every year or two people say there's a revival happening but they never really push the boundaries and it doesn't come to much.

Well, first off I'll say that you should make whatever music you want :) Nothing wrong with it. If you enjoy it, you should go for it.
Having said that, Acid House in its original context as the antithesis to the mainstream, as the soundtrack to the Summer of Love '88, and as the DIY music extraordinaire, is completely and utterly defunct in 2014.
True, it underwent a revival in a different form in the 90s, as espoused by R. Hawtin and Harthouse UK, but it's not been relevant as a musical force for a long time.
It's somewhat akin to asking if you should do punk music. Yes, punk is still around, but it's not exactly dripping with cultural force. As in most things, time and money devours original intent, and we're left with just another genre on the musical map.
Nothing wrong with it. That's just life. It doesn't stop bands like New Order from making new material, even though they've not been culturally or musically relevant since the early 90s.
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

audiobot202 wrote:-Acid House in its original context as the antithesis to the mainstream, as the soundtrack to the Summer of Love '88, and as the DIY music extraordinaire, is completely and utterly defunct in 2014.
You can still find Acid House nights if that's what your into, and people still make and play it.
From tis year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05oNuVLYFgw

It may not be pop, but with 34,823 plays in less than 2 months it's certainly not " completely and utterly defunkt "

audiobot202 wrote: It doesn't stop bands like New Order from making new material, even though they've not been culturally or musically relevant since the early 90s.
Doesn't that depend which culture your part of and what music you like ?

Of course it's still being made. Punk is still being made too ! I'm just saying that in 2014, Acid House is so distant from its origins that it's not a cultural force anymore. I remember when it was this alien music in the 80s. It was fresh and new and totally obscure. It really was a soundtrack to the future; even if that future was dystopian and sinister.
I get that people listen to Acid now and it's new for them. I understand all of that. But once time removes a music from it's origin, it loses power and relevance. 26 years after the Summer of Love, and Roland have released a TB-3 to cash in on what they see as a booming interest in EDM. That horse bolted years ago I fear !!!
New Order were a musical force int he 80s and early 90s. They haven't done anything powerful or musically challenging for years. It happens to all bands. Even the venerable David Bowie, whom I admire greatly as an artistic force, is older and less relevant now. It happens to us all. Comfort sets in and revolutionising the world just becomes less important :)
I'm not talking about personal subjectivity here. If you've just discovered The Cure, or The Smiths, or New Order, or Acid, then you're allowed to enjoy it. You just have to realise that we're so far from the original power of this stuff that they're just not on the cutting edge anymore. They're not relevant anymore if what you want is something new and different and set to be the next cultural force.
When I realised a few years aback that all I was doing was reliving the past through buying CDs that were years old on ebay, I got bored.
Acid Mitch wrote:
audiobot202 wrote:-Acid House in its original context as the antithesis to the mainstream, as the soundtrack to the Summer of Love '88, and as the DIY music extraordinaire, is completely and utterly defunct in 2014.
You can still find Acid House nights if that's what your into, and people still make and play it.
From tis year:

It may not be pop, but with 34,823 plays in less than 2 months it's certainly not " completely and utterly defunkt "

audiobot202 wrote: It doesn't stop bands like New Order from making new material, even though they've not been culturally or musically relevant since the early 90s.
Doesn't that depend which culture your part of and what music you like ?

audiobot202 wrote:Of course it's still being made. Punk is still being made too ! I'm just saying that in 2014, Acid House is so distant from its origins that it's not a cultural force anymore. I remember when it was this alien music in the 80s. It was fresh and new and totally obscure. It really was a soundtrack to the future; even if that future was dystopian and sinister.
I get that people listen to Acid now and it's new for them. I understand all of that. But once time removes a music from it's origin, it loses power and relevance. 26 years after the Summer of Love, and Roland have released a TB-3 to cash in on what they see as a booming interest in EDM. That horse bolted years ago I fear !!!
New Order were a musical force int he 80s and early 90s. They haven't done anything powerful or musically challenging for years. It happens to all bands. Even the venerable David Bowie, whom I admire greatly as an artistic force, is older and less relevant now. It happens to us all. Comfort sets in and revolutionising the world just becomes less important :)
I'm not talking about personal subjectivity here. If you've just discovered The Cure, or The Smiths, or New Order, or Acid, then you're allowed to enjoy it. You just have to realise that we're so far from the original power of this stuff that they're just not on the cutting edge anymore. They're not relevant anymore if what you want is something new and different and set to be the next cultural force.
When I realised a few years aback that all I was doing was reliving the past through buying CDs that were years old on ebay, I got bored.
Dude, props for smacking the nail right on the head.

LaKnabodeNY wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:All that shit is dead, but, you know, there are still some diehards.
I was asking because I'm making some acid-inspired stuff myself and I just wanted to know if anyone was doing the same.

Also, I didn't expect to hear a bunch of hard house but thanks for it anyway! :D
Yeah, sorry about the Hard House overload, I'm just glad that more of the old stuff is on youtube these days.

I have a FR-777 and I've made minimal acid stuff in the past, I might still make stuff like that if I get the urge, but I have no delusions about anything I do musically being relevant to anyone other than myself. I share it with my other music making friends and that's about it.

If you want to make music and be relevant, I think that you either have to get on the current bandwagon, which isn't really acid anything I'm afraid, or you have to be that next thing. It's rare that the next thing is just repeating the past, however, so in either case, I don't think you can be relevant making acid-house.

The few people that are still attracting attention doing it are those that did it when it was relevant.

ghettosynth wrote:
Dude, props for smacking the nail right on the head.

Definitely. Just like I said previously. If you enjoy doing it, go and do it ! Nothing wrong with that. I come at it as someone who remembers when it all began in the 80s, so talking about Acid in 2014 really seems quite odd to me. For me, it's been and gone. It's history. It was a specific sound in a specific time period that induced euphoria and pricked up the ears of those who heard it. It was wild. But that was many years ago! I find it amusing that Roland have now released two bits of retro inspired kit when they'd always said they wouldn't. There's nothing inspired in that to me. I find that dull and boring. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the squiggles you can get out of it. But for me, it's just not even relevant now. It's Roland cashing in on a trend they see in the market.
ghettosynth wrote:
LaKnabodeNY wrote:

Yeah, sorry about the Hard House overload, I'm just glad that more of the old stuff is on youtube these days.

I have a FR-777 and I've made minimal acid stuff in the past, I might still make stuff like that if I get the urge, but I have no delusions about anything I do musically being relevant to anyone other than myself. I share it with my other music making friends and that's about it.

If you want to make music and be relevant, I think that you either have to get on the current bandwagon, which isn't really acid anything I'm afraid, or you have to be that next thing. It's rare that the next thing is just repeating the past, however, so in either case, I don't think you can be relevant making acid-house.

The few people that are still attracting attention doing it are those that did it when it was relevant.

Blue-eyed Blonde Ape wrote: So acid, like many things is just a recreational thing for the most part, lol
Actually, I have heard the acid sound (or something similar to it) used in Electro House before. Like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1akrEGNsU9k

But that's really all.
audiobot202 wrote:I find it amusing that Roland have now released two bits of retro inspired kit when they'd always said they wouldn't. There's nothing inspired in that to me. I find that dull and boring. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the squiggles you can get out of it. But for me, it's just not even relevant now. It's Roland cashing in on a trend they see in the market.
As I've said earlier. The acid sound tends to be ued in electro house too. Maybe that's who they were aiming it towards?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”