Questions about clip launcher / arranger interaction

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most helpful answer so far, tnx.

Notecrusher wrote:
pdxindy wrote: Dragging the project over from Launcher to Arrange will not necessarily give you the same result. Suppose I have a clip that loops on one track after a short intro... or I am using Follow Actions in the Launcher.

Dragging a clip from Launcher to Arrange just puts the clip there... You are going from a non-linear environment to a linear one.
I would expect it to copy the scenes in order.
It will... But that does not mean it will play the same... They are different environments, not different representations of the same environment.

I know they're different environments. But isn't there a linear way to play the contents of the clip launcher? What happens when you hit the play button on the top left of the screen when the clip launcher has the focus?

It sucks that Bitwig doesn't run on Vista :(

Notecrusher wrote:What happens when you hit the play button on the top left of the screen when the clip launcher has the focus?
Depends... it is up to the user... That is sort of the point of the non-linear launcher

Fine. There's no reason that can't be rendered to the arranger w/ a button click. Obviously it's not a current feature, but it could be. I believe Live has this.

Notecrusher wrote:I know they're different environments. But isn't there a linear way to play the contents of the clip launcher? What happens when you hit the play button on the top left of the screen when the clip launcher has the focus?

It sucks that Bitwig doesn't run on Vista :(
The whole point of the clip launcher is that it's a non-linear environment. The arrange is the linear environment. When you hit play with the clip launcher you get whatever clips that you have set to play looping.
Notecrusher wrote:Fine. There's no reason that can't be rendered to the arranger w/ a button click. Obviously it's not a current feature, but it could be. I believe Live has this.
Ok, it's obvious that you have about 0 experience with Live or bitwig. I'm pretty sure Live doesn't have this, and I explained why it doesn't make sense. You shouldn't be telling what features the program needs to have when you don't even know how they work. If Bitwig won't work on your system then try Live and learn the basics of the clip launcher that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlYdxc1LnDI

What are you getting so self-righteous and nasty for? This is a web forum about a DAW for Pete's sake. If you're going to be a jerk, buzz off this thread.

No insult intended, It's just the truth. You are talking about some feature that needs to be in there but you don't even know what happens when you hit the play button. You have to spend at least some time with the system to know what's good for workflow.

It's already tough for the devs to take account of all feedback and try to work in everyone's needs, and throwing out feature requests simply because you looked at the program and figured it should work in this or that way doesn't help. Spend some time with it, then see if you actually need it.

You don't know what "the truth" is! You have your opinion and you are entitled to it and you are entitled to request any feature you like. I have my opinion and I am entitled to request any feature I like. I'm not required to list my credentials to you for making a feature request, and it is profoundly ludicrous for you to talk about "it's already tough for the devs to take account of feedback". If it isn't a good feature as you claim, Bitwig won't put it in, now will they?

BTW Mr. Knowitall: When the play button is hit, the clip launcher plays the scenes in order; each clip's setting's are operated, each scene's setting's are operated, and follow actions are operated. The clip launcher is not just a non-linear environment. It can be utilized as a very powerful linear environment per my description above -- same as the Live session view.

It's standard workflow in Live to sketch compositions in session view and then move them to arrangement view for full-on arranging and mixing. Naturally people may want to do the same thing in Bitwig. Having the option to utilize all the features of the clip launcher and then do a one-click export to the arranger would, IMO, be a super workflow feature.

Maybe you don't understand. Maybe you don't agree. Whatever. Different strokes for different folks. But everyone else on this thread has been respectful. There's no reason you can't be too.

Nope, If you trigger a scene it plays until you trigger the next scene. No, it's not an opinion that you have no experience with the program, you have shown that clearly. And sorry, but someone's opinions about what the program needs are not worth much if haven't even used it in the first place. That's undeniable and if you have a problem with that being pointed out to you it's your own problem. There's a difference between someone telling you something you might not want to hear and someone being disrespectful to you.

If you used the program and decided you needed that based on your workflow, I would not say anything against it. Of course it's standard to move from Session view to arrange in Live, the question is if an export button is a good way to do that. When it comes to the devs not implementing it, well the devs don't know how each person is using their program. If people ask for something that doesn't seem necessary then of course they might consider it. So it's bad practice to ask for stuff if you're not sure you need it. Then the program could become bloated with features that don't have much real use.

The program has only been released for DAYS. There were THOUSANDS of people INSISTING they needed this feature or that feature before the software had even been released. Did you pitch a fit over every one of those cases?

Putting features into a program for potential new customers is how a software company attracts new customers.

No one is "sure" they "need" anything.

You're one of those people who thinks their opinions are right. They are not. They are your opinions. This completely phony concern that the devs will become overwhelmed or that the program will become bloated are utterly absurd. You just want YOUR favorite feature requests to be implemented. You have such a distorted perception of reality that you actually think patronizing and insulting other users of a software program is not only acceptable, but you come back and attempt to rationalize your bad behavior again and again. Unlike everyone else who has posted here, you have nothing constructive to contribute.

CONSIDER YOURSELF BLOCKED.
Last edited by Notecrusher on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah I saw that coming. f**king brat. Not a shred of logic there. Why do people these days think that anything that comes out of their face counts as an opinion that you just have to accept? He thanks me for giving the most constructive comment in the thread one second and then the next second apparently I have nothing constructive to add.

Return to “Bitwig”