New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:BTW: If you haven't played with one, the effects are truly annoying because there are no send levels per instrument. So, yes you can turn the reverb on for just one step, but you get a big splash of effect because all of the instruments playing on that step feed into the reverb. This is another reason why individual outs and a mixer are more useful in a live setup, or, well, just not trying to work with outdated ideas like a drum machine.
The lack of individual outs and individual FX sends combined with the TR-8 not responding to midi does isolate the unit... which is counter to the notion of advancement...

himalaya wrote:It's almost as if, ghettosynth, you need to validate it all via a big name, in order to feel comfortable. I suppose when you buy an instrument you go out looking for the big names to see who is using it and how successful they are at it?
Nope.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote:
Very good points. I think this is why I've always been somewhat interested in "playing the drum machine" as an instrument and yet mostly avoided it. I even once did a DJ set where I used Live and loops (that I made myself) synced to a drum machine and... I didn't find it that fun and I think it translated to the audience. Of course at that time there was no such thing as the Maschine or Spark and that could have helped.

I've long decided to not gig, but if I did there's no doubt in my mind I'd bring a laptop, midi controller, guitar not much else. Aside from the guitar it would all fit in a back pack and I'd have near complete confidence in it. If I failed to do a good performance it would be my fault, not the laptop's.
I agree. To be clear, when I first started playing out live as a solo electronic act I thought that it mattered more. My first drum machines didn't have controls and when I had an opportunity to pick up a 909 I too thought that it would make a big difference because of all that control. Ultimately, it didn't.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:but this thread is devoted to a product that many people want and have wanted for years. Go start another thread to spread your hate for this thing.
Sorry bro, it doesn't work that way. The topic is the new Roland Dance Hardware,and that's exactly what we're talking about. Either you want the new hardware, or you don't, it certainly doesn't have any impact on me what others think about things that I want, unless, of course, I actually care about their opinions.

Bottom line, either you care about my opinion, or you don't, but you don't get to censor it.

I don't care about your opinions. Nobody who likes this product cares about your opinions. You're regurgitating the same argument over and over again.WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE IT. It's annoying because you post every day and it's difficult to avoid.
I'm not trying to censor you. I'm just saying you should start a hate thread somewhere else and you can indulge your morbid attempts at trying to convince people not to buy this thing as much as you want.
It obviously bothers you that so many people want this thing.

Edit- just found a way to stop your posts from showing up. I needed to add you to some "foes" list. It's all good. Go ahead and indulge what is ,for you, obviously some form of psychosis.
Last edited by dcfac73 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

This, my friend, is a perfect example of a strawman,
Hardly. What did you say again:
All we've seen so far from the fanbois are a handfull of hasbeens and wannabes
So it goes, that you require big names to validate the use of TR8. The logic is simple, you don't need to obfuscate it.
ghettosynth wrote:
It is YOUR claim that there exists some new generation of musicians who's music is dependent on these sounds in hardware form, and that this drum machine will push their music forward in a way not possible with one of the plethora of alternatives
I did not claim that, did not imply that, nor did I thought that. Rather ironic, that you you dare to teach me about strawmen arguments by providing several in one paragraph!

I do not claim "that there exists some new generation of musicians who's music is dependent on these sounds in hardware form.

I say that there is a new generation of musicians - as evidenced by feedback you have received from some in this very thread, who are simply inspired by this new drum machine. They do not need the TR8, nor do they depend on it. They simply find it useful and inspiring, If Roland hadn't released the TR8 they would not cry a single tear over it, I feel.

Nor did I say that that, quote " this drum machine will push their music forward in a way not possible with one of the plethora of alternatives". Dude, do not associate words to me which I didn't say! You are not only arrogant but rude!

I've shown you how EDM has evolved away from the raw 808 and 909 sounds for almost the last two decades. I have shown you how samples have largely displaced the originals and why. I've shown you how live performance TODAY doesn't rely on the kinds of control that you originally got with the 808/909. I've shown you why the TR8 has extreme limitations that matter both live and in the studio.
Yes, YOU have shown me...What you've shown yet again is your arrogance. I'm fully aware of what has gone before. I'm not 19, in case you are wondering.

The music has evolved so that anything goes. You hear new sounds, old sounds, new and old layered together. Anything goes, which also includes using TR808 and TR909 drum machines. But I don't go by your pre-selected videos but by what I hear on the airwaves.
In my hardware-only performance at my studio I rely on the very workflow that TR8 presents, which despite the unfortunate limitations (which I have mentioned, which you failed to read), the sound and the workflow would still make it an interesting proposition.

Do you want to discuss the limitations of the 808 and 909 circuits? I'm game, I've built them, have you? This is a music TECHNOLOGY site, and that's what I enjoy discussing here, and that's what I'm doing.
So now you've run out of ideas and decided to 'up the ante'? Now I'm asked to show you my circuit building prowess...Dude, you've lost you way. No, I don't want to discuss circuits. I wanted to discuss the sound and the workflow, stuff that counts in music making. Stuff that the TR-8 is actually great at.

The TR-8 is not a perfect product by any means. We've all mentioned it at one time or another.
Surely you can provide an analysis as to how and why the TR8 will contribute to these new art forms? After all, it's an "entire generation" and I'm only asking you to provide a few examples?
Ah, so this is your homework, you want me to supply you with analysis?

The new generation refers to all those helping fuel the new analog Renaissance, and although the TR8 is not analog, it firmly belongs to this new music gear buying generation of punters. There is a whole new line of hardware synths, drum machines, effects being released by different companies, which is bought by the old timers and the new guys alike.

How will the TR8 contribute to new art forms? By supplying beats. Lovely, lush, chunky, 808/909 beats. I'm sure the examples will flow once the TR8 is widely available. No doubt we will hear the good and the ugly. The vintage and new, cheezy and cool. And perhaps we will hear nowt with most people making beats in seclusion. Who knows.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

This discussion is starting to get a little trouser action going here. The only other person I ever met who was so determined to have the last word…..well….I ended up married to her :D

himalaya wrote:
Surely you can provide an analysis as to how and why the TR8 will contribute to these new art forms? After all, it's an "entire generation" and I'm only asking you to provide a few examples?
Ah, so this is your homework, you want me to supply you with analysis?
Nope, that's YOUR homework, it's YOUR claim, ergo, YOUR responsibility to support it. Try posting something to this thread WITHOUT talking about me or responding to me. Seriously, it's that easy, just talk about music and technology and pretend I'm not here.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:18 am, edited 7 times in total.

dcfac73 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:but this thread is devoted to a product that many people want and have wanted for years. Go start another thread to spread your hate for this thing.
Sorry bro, it doesn't work that way. The topic is the new Roland Dance Hardware,and that's exactly what we're talking about. Either you want the new hardware, or you don't, it certainly doesn't have any impact on me what others think about things that I want, unless, of course, I actually care about their opinions.

Bottom line, either you care about my opinion, or you don't, but you don't get to censor it.

I don't care about your opinions.

Then don't respond to my posts. I don't see how it's any more complicated than that.

ghettosynth wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
The TR8 is boring because, today, the TR808 and somewhat less so, the TR909, are also boring.
Yup...

How can a machine be boring? The person using it might create boring music, but its not the machines fault.
Why don't you tell us?
Kriminal wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Image

From sonic state via gs

Boring :zzz:
Kriminal wrote:a vocoder? boooooooooooooooooooooooooooring :roll:
Kriminal wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Vengeance stuff is boring
true, but so are most of the synths they 'design' for
Kriminal wrote:even Nexus has a demo (albeit a boring ROMpler)
Kriminal wrote:Banks should show off the sounds the instrument can make. If you find them boring, the instrument is prob boring too. Try another one.
I love this one.
Kriminal wrote:WOW...more 808/909 sounds...... :zzz:
This adds some spice to this thread as well.
Kriminal wrote:Just downloaded this to try it, and promptly deleted it. Firstly, the 303 argument is boring as hell these days, the original was crap, and getting an 'accurate' emulation is like trying to turn gold into shit and claiming its the bollocks :roll:
So, by all means, explain why all of a sudden the simple idea of a boring machine, that you have well understood in the past, and, have even yourself used to describe an 808/909 plugin, is now so confusing and challenging for you?

That might be better than encouraging the racists among us, amiright?

WOW! You really took some valuable time out of you life to find that stuff :hihi:

Good work. I can easily explain tho. Im bipolar.

Not sure what your remark about 'racist' refers too, you might have to do some more explaining.

Mushy Mushy wrote:I'm sorry Krim, I love ya but you've been powned :D

Indeed :hihi:

Kriminal wrote:
WOW! You really took some valuable time out of you life to find that stuff :hihi:

Good work. I can easily explain tho. Im bipolar.
Only took a few minutes to search for that, heh!
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The comment about middle aged white guys collecting gear or something? It was funny.... i dont see how mentioning 'white' is racist.... the whole post was kinda funny....i didnt look at individual parts out of context....and im too hungover to argue about it.

Quick, somebody send these guys a TR8, it's all they need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRh0-5fD140

Oh, wait, somebody already sent them a casiotone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_U9tYXggp8

I'm going to make a 808/909 listening hour and only listen to tracks which use an 808 and/or 909 :hihi:
Does a 606 count as well? Funnily, a lot of my favorite music features a 606. I guess that one sounds "boring" too?
A R8 is often used as well, I guess that one is even more boring? It doesn't even load user samples!
Somehow people still managed to make great music with it. Maybe they were wizards.

I think it's funny how people judge instuments by how often they do or do not appear in "successful" music.

Cheers
Dennis

The act of passing off opinion as fact and absolutes occurs on internet forums more than anywhere else in life. Perhaps KVR should should put this in everyone's profile display:

"Please be aware that these are my opinions only, and probably have no basis in actual reality or fact" :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”