Some feedback on first demo, 1.0.7...

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Liking a lot about bw after running it last night.

Having RME HDSP9632 on W7 x64.
Initial config of audio was try and try again
Pressing sample rate did nothing until I did some refresh of the button there.
Buffer selection also took some pressing until it opened
And for some reason audio engine was not activated - took a while to see why I did not get any sound.

Vst scan crashed on some Cakewalk RXP stuff it confused with something.
Got Plugins Host x64 crash of some sort.
I can mention nor of StudioOne, Reaper, Samplitude, Tracktion 4, DP8 did that on this machine.

When does it do scan anyway - I like having button to activate myself?
But all real plugins seem to have been scanned. Don't know yet if I buy another Waves plugin - will it recognize this, or not?
There is not clear and rescan as far as I could see?
In Reaper I have to do that - it feels waves shell is scanned or something.

Midi is overcomplicated as I see it - and no way to rename ports to something. I now got three "Midi Keyboard" - and have no idea which is what when to select.

In and Out port are assumed to be the same port - which I don't like. I use drums recording in on hardware midi, not usb. And outport of this, assumed hardware is faster, is used for rendering external synth for minimum delay.

Presonus did the same mistake, overcomplicating something that is so simple - just give us a midi inports and outports to select from. Haven't looked at scripting yet, but I might. And there might be resources I have not found my way to yet.

But thinking was very good on most parts - multiple audio outs very clear a simple to do. And I found my way to most things. And doing serializing of synths making it possible for midi plugins to work was good.

I really find it worth looking further into, I must say.

Showstoppers right now:
No renaming of midi ports
Only midi out with clock - not needed clock, just port. Scripting?
No VST multiouts - confirmed by bw as I believe reading another thread

Things that really would be nice
How Reaper implemented track folders with integrated buss and all and visible/expandable/collapsable in both arrange and mixer view.
Track templates - sooooooo timesaving, especially when having multiout setups
Also multi ins with mikes set up use a lot of tracks and templates are good

Just a few notes...keep it up.
:)

lfm wrote:Liking a lot about bw after running it last night......
and no way to rename ports to something. I now got three "Midi Keyboard" - and have no idea which is what when to select.......
Glad to hear you are liking the program lfm :tu: I think it has potential and will eventually become a great DAW.....not so much right now but it will be :D

Actually, you can rename your ports/devices. It is done within the scripts for the device.

See these threads with information and instructions provided by ThomasHelzle. It's pretty easy to change the names of devices:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=407092

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=406759

FWIW - BWS does not care what you call the device. So you should give it meaningful names in the scripts. What BWS does care about is the UUID is unique to your system and what you have feeding the device (which controller is which)

Once you have modified your scripts it will be easy to tell which "MIDI Keyboard" is which.

Also - Ins and Outs are definitely different; however, within a port you WILL have an in and an out.

The outs side of BWS is basically missing. Team BWS is working on this and I am hopeful we'll see MIDI routing the way it should be soon.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thanks.

Yes, I saw Thomas "dead easy" and even as a programmer I don't want to fiddle with this. I really thought the explanations was diffícult to follow as well - spread out like little nuggets.

I saw one guy referring to some other scripting thingy with auto fillin or something. That looked close to what you need if ever wanting to do this.

Why not make 5 or so ins and 5 or so outs, generic ones with "Midi In" and "MidiOut" 1-5 or something. % ones of each type that has unique UUID stuff etc - ready to be used.

But you say that real midi outs does not even work yet?

I saw something called Hardware instrument among plugin stuff, but did not try it out - all my midiports have the same name.

But still impressed by the first release what it can do. A lot of thought put into it. I'd rather put €300 on developers that have big ears - than pay $60 to developers with no ears. ;)

If they get me past the showstopppers...

Return to “Bitwig”