Fairy Tale (non-contest)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As the contest this month is to make a Fairy Tale song I thought I would take the opportunity to post this one here.
As part of my long-term project to get my LadyD back into singing after a long break we have been working on a series of Fairy Tales.
This one is an adaptation of Grimm's The Six Swans.
Done in a folk-rock style I had Joel Sattler adapt the story which was refined into more usable lyrics by LadyD and put to music by me.
As well as LadyD on vocal we have Nigel Robinson on drums, his brother Peter on lead guitar breaks, Enrico Nichelatti on violin and myself on acoustic and electric guitars, bass, mandolin and arrangement/mix.

TheSixSwans

THE SIX SWANS
based on the fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm

six brothers and their sister fair
lived by the river wide
the widowed king, their father was
and then he took a bride

but she was full of jealousy
black magic she did spawn
and placed a curse upon the boys
that turned them into swans

their sister she was told the spell
could only lose its power
if she would weave each one a shirt
made of the starwort flower

who knows where they have gone
some people dream of princesses
and memories of swans

and also she must take a vow
of silence for six years
and if she could accomplish this
her loved ones would appear

one day the King of Mountains came
and asked for leave to wed
the gentle lovely silent girl
whose eyes no tears had shed

he took her to the Land of Skye
among the hills so wild
and there she bore him children three
in silence deep and wide

and memories of swans

the wicked queen accused her
of crimes foul and depraved
against these she could not defend
if her brothers would be saved

the day came when the fire was set
to burn her at the stake
the flowered shirts were almost done
but yet her spirit did not break

and as they tied her to the pyre
six swans flew overhead
she threw the shirts into the air
in triumph after dread

and memories of swans

dark sorcery it was laid bare
her voice the story told
on queenly wrist shackles appeared
not bracelets of gold

and memories of swans

:wink:
James.
---------------------------------------------
New Updated music site at - http://www.fraserology.com/music/

great performances all around. very well done.

the only thing is; maybe find a way to get the lyrics to sound a bit more clear? i really don't know.

anyway, i'm almost sorry to nit about this.

very well done. kudos to the lot of you!

I'm pretty much seconding mrblitz. To be more precise I think it's a relative lack of treble in the vocals compared to the other stuff that sounds a bit strange to me, sort of as if the vocals were taken from some 70s King Crimson recording and everything else is crystal clear, modern-recording-equipment stuff.

That's really nitpicking though (as also pointed out by mrblitz) as this is great stuff (then again, I guess it can be pretty useful to have KVR listeners nitpick a bit).

EDIT: Oh, what did you use to "create space"? Only reverb? If so may I ask which one? I really like how everything sits together and feels like it's "in the same room" so to speak but still I'm not hearing any obviously artificial reverb going on. This I find to be one of the more difficulat things to do when mixing so I'm curious what you've done.

Thanks for listening and for commenting, both.
I think that the problem you are hearing is to do with MP3 compression.
As this is an 8 minute song the original is quite a big file for streaming so I had to compress it down considerably for my hosting (which only allows 8mb files).
If you want to compare the original you can find it here:
http://www.kompoz.com/music/listen/release/402783

As for reverbs, I am usually using OldSkoolVerb these days but on this song I used GlaceVerb on the master. I find that GV can give a lot of clarity but can also be very 'cold' with certain vocals. OldSkoolVerb is much warmer all round IMO.
James.

I remember this one rather fondly :)
Unfortunately I can't access the kompoz original it seems to require a facebook link, which I will not allow under any circumstances :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

it seems to require a facebook link
"Shock" .... that's news to me, mate !!!
I won't FB either.

;)
James

In fact, I just checked this out by using an anonymous browser and I got through straight away. No problem.
Don't understand why that happens to you, Will.

;)
James

Tried again - using firefox V24
Ghostery is blocking the following trackers:
Crazy Egg
Double Click
Facebook Connect
Google Adwords
Google Analytics

NoScript is blocking Facebook.net but I've set it to allow kompoz.com

All I get is a spinning wheel when I click on play :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Thanks for the info on the reverb. Interesting, I recall trying GlaceVerb a long time ago but it never quite stuck with me, guess I ought to give it another shot. Back in those days I would probably have just tried on a bunch of isolated vocals and not in a mix and with the benefit of hindsigth that usually seems to be a pretty bad way of trying out effects.

Hi offthewall :) I hope you don't mind a detailed criticism (the perfectionist in me...). As mentioned by others - very nice performances and I love the singers voice. The main problem I have is that the whole mix sounds very veiled - there's a lot of detail and instruments in there that could really do with being heard much more clearly. The instruments really need to be eq'ed to separate them - they all sound very clumped together frequency wise at the moment. To give you an example there is a solo instrument that comes in at various points - I'm playing the song at different volumes and it's still not clear to me what it is - sounds like a wind instrument but I can't be sure. The snare has a very boxy sound to it which is quite distracting imo. The vocal has some low mid frequencies that could do with removing as they're not very musical and sound a bit resonant at higher volumes. I love the song though - all my critiques are mix related. My mum just poked here head into the studio - she thought I was listening to Sandy Denny :)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Thanks for more listens/comments.
@Folderol ... really don't know how your system is reading this. I've checked out with a number of different browsers with no problem.

@do_androids_dream
Many thanks for the Sandy Denny comment. LadyD will be made up when (if) I tell her.

Very interesting analysis.
What I need to point out here is ... I'm a cloth-eared true 'old timer' who was brought up to music in the 60's and early 70's. I never actually took to CD quality and must admit that the 'digital revolution' has always left me cold.
This particular project however started off in my head, before a note was written or recorded, as a song in the style of Fairport Convention as if it were a live gig in a small concert hall or festival.
Taking in musical contributions from 5 different international locations from 4 different studios I made the attempt to gel these musicians into a live band. This is what you are hearing, and the way it was intended. To give a 'live' feel.
For some other tracks in this overall project I took an intimate 'studio' approach. If you are interested I can post one of those for you to hear the difference.
I note that 'engineering' is you business but, after all, I am purely a hobbyist and if I achieve the sound that I set out to get, with all of the problems of varying standards from the 'band', then I am more than happy :D
Also I'm curious about this 'solo instrument' that you hear. Other than electric guitar and violin in the fill sections there are no other solo instruments. If you can give me time markers then I may be able to track down what you are referring to.
Sorry for the long post but I am very interested in your response.
As I said, modern digital 'hurts' my old ears I'm afraid.
Stuck firmly in the past 8)

James

Hi again James :) The instrument I'm referring to comes in at 2.10 - 2-32, 4.08 - 4.30 and 6.05 - 6.23 panned towards the left side (I dl'ed the track and loaded it into reaper to get the times of where it comes in - hope you don't mind me dl'ing it). On the first listen it sounds like a medieval woodwind type of instrument (wow, could be showing a severe lack of instrument knowledge there... :D) but I must say I can't be sure what it is.

I was actually brought up listening to bands like Fairport Convention, The Incredible String Band and many other folk/psych-folk bands so I totally understand your viewpoint about the digital revolution. If you have a listen to the tracks in my portfolio at my website you may detect that I try to retain dynamics and space in favour of loudness (although, at the end of the day, I provide a service and client satisfaction is always the top priority) - I never smash mixes into limiters unless that's what someone wants me to do (eek). Upon listening to your mix again I think I may have been somewhat over critical - it's a charming piece of music and the mix does suit it very well - there's a very nice sense of space there and it's all the more impressive considering it was put together by international collaboration. I just would have revealed a few instruments a little more with more separation.

Edit - just been doing a little playing around... Taking 2 dB out at 247 Hz and adding around 2dB at 4.5 kHz with a high shelf improved the mix a lot imo - of course, it's taste as well. And, of course, this was not what one would usually do (going back to the mix and addressing individual instruments would of course be better) - it just gives an idea.

The instrument in question is the violin. Real one, no samples here.
Anyway, glad you understood my viewpoint. I was really trying to capture a 'live' feel.
If you are interested try this for comparison as a more 'studio' mix.
Isabella

James

No, it's not the violin - that's panned slightly right if I'm hearing it correctly - it's the other instrument playing at the same time that's playing a more 'notey' passage.

I will give the other track a listen tomorrow :)

In the sections you identify there are, playing : drums / bass / acoustic picked guitar / tremolo electric guitar (chords) / violin. That's all.

James

Return to “Music Cafe”