IKM SampleTank 3 (ST3) Now Available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

So... judging from the picture it would it be foolish to think that there would be multiple outputs available for the drum kit on a single track? This would load exactly how ST2 does (where the whole drum kit is only available to a single track output like all of the other instruments) with the exception of new round robin & articulations in ST3.

We would still have to load up another instance of the drumkit in another track if we wanted to put different parts of the kit through different outputs. I ask this because judging from the size of the kit that's shown (at 500+ mgs), it'll be pretty hefty on the CPU and also if you have a full production you would have to use more instances of Sampletank if the count was over 16 tracks.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

There will also be "maps" where you have snares, kicks, etc to load in one instance and route so you would not need to load a full kit on many tracks (though you could do that too if you'd like and you had the memory available).

[quote="Peter - IK Multimedia"][quote="dbender"]So, what about Mac OS 10.6.8 compatibility???[/quote]
Sorry just got word on that, and it is not likely, sorry. Snow Leopard is four major versions back from the latest OS X version. We'll be supporting Lion as the earliest compatible version of OS X.[/quote]
Peter, when you say "supporting Lion as the earliest compatible version of OS X" does that mean that ST3 may run in Snow Leopard, but there will be no customer support for bugfixes, like NI's latest Kontakt which, although it will not install in Snow Leopard without a workaround , runs perfectly well, or that ST3 is crippled in Snow Leopard?
Perhaps someone at IK could use the workaround for installing Kontakt to try running ST3 on Snow Leopard.
I only ask because I am mid project and there is no way I could update the OS this year and I know that I am not alone in sticking with 10.6.8 for it's stability.

It's good to see that FX such as Black 76 are included in ST3. What others are there? (Or have I got that wrong and they are separately purchasable add-ons?).

Also, can I set the octaves on the virtual piano keyboard to match my host and keyboard controller (full range is C-2 to G8)? The screenshots show 88 keys from C0, but is C0 MIDI Note 0, 12, 24 or settable?
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:There will also be "maps" where you have snares, kicks, etc to load in one instance and route so you would not need to load a full kit on many tracks (though you could do that too if you'd like and you had the memory available).
Peter, could you give a but more detail?
(a) how many outputs does ST3 have, are the stereo, mono, a mix or selectable?
(b) if I understand correctly, I could use a map, load a drum kit into one instrument slot and route the drum kit pieces to, say, 6 outputs, have I got that right?
(c) can I put FX on each output, within ST3? (perhaps that will be in a screenshot ilater on, when we explore the mixer?)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Saukar30 wrote:So... judging from the picture it would it be foolish to think that there would be multiple outputs available for the drum kit on a single track? This would load exactly how ST2 does (where the whole drum kit is only available to a single track output like all of the other instruments) with the exception of new round robin & articulations in ST3.

We would still have to load up another instance of the drumkit in another track if we wanted to put different parts of the kit through different outputs. I ask this because judging from the size of the kit that's shown (at 500+ mgs), it'll be pretty hefty on the CPU and also if you have a full production you would have to use more instances of Sampletank if the count was over 16 tracks.
If true, that would be a major disappointment. This was one of the most often criticized aspects of ST2. Great kits, but limited flexibility for programming individual kit pieces. I'm optimistic that there is more to the story though. I don't think IK would do a complete re-write for ST3 and not figure out a way around this particular issue.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

DarkStar wrote:It's good to see that FX such as Black 76 are included in ST3. What others are there? (Or have I got that wrong and they are separately purchasable add-ons?).

Also, can I set the octaves on the virtual piano keyboard to match my host and keyboard controller (full range is C-2 to G8)? The screenshots show 88 keys from C0, but is C0 MIDI Note 0, 12, 24 or settable?
I'm not seeing this option, I'll relay your suggestion or see if I'm missing something.
DarkStar wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:There will also be "maps" where you have snares, kicks, etc to load in one instance and route so you would not need to load a full kit on many tracks (though you could do that too if you'd like and you had the memory available).
Peter, could you give a but more detail?
(a) how many outputs does ST3 have, are the stereo, mono, a mix or selectable?
(b) if I understand correctly, I could use a map, load a drum kit into one instrument slot and route the drum kit pieces to, say, 6 outputs, have I got that right?
(c) can I put FX on each output, within ST3? (perhaps that will be in a screenshot ilater on, when we explore the mixer?)
a) 16 stereo outputs, you can see these in upcoming mixer shots
b) Not quite, "maps" was not a good descriptor I meant we will have macros for a "mini mixer" vibe for the full kits so you can adjust different levels there (as seen in the screenshot) but we'll also provide kick, snare, toms, hats, cymbals, and percussion separately so you can mix and match and route as you wish. You can load elements of different kit to create a more custom kit this way too, if you so desire and apply effects and route them as you wish.
c) You will certainly see more of this on the mixer shots coming, you'll see the 5 insert effects per channel, but you also have send/return and master channel effects capabilities there too.

Also, it wouldn't be right to not have a screenshot for the day (adding a little information based on the question above)... Today we have a Pop Rock Kit from the Acoustic Drums that will be available in SampleTank 3 and Vintage Tube Program EQ as an insert effect. Notice you can do a "quick mix" fast enough even for performance on-the-fly and for deeper mixing and effect routing you can load individual parts that will also be in SampleTank 3 on different channels and have a very powerful drum setup while retaining the ease of use and agility for which SampleTank is known.

Peter, when you say "supporting Lion as the earliest compatible version of OS X" does that mean that ST3 may run in Snow Leopard, but there will be no customer support for bugfixes, like NI's latest Kontakt which, although it will not install in Snow Leopard without a workaround , runs perfectly well, or is ST3 crippled in Snow Leopard?
Perhaps someone at IK could try the workaround used for installing the latest Kontakt to try running ST3 on Snow Leopard.
I only ask because I am mid project and there is no way I could update the OS this year and I know that I am not alone in sticking with 10.6.8 for it's stability.

We aren't going to support Snow Leopard at all, but I'm not sure it will not run at all or just won't be supported. They won't likely even test on Snow Leopard if it is less than the minimum spec so best case would be to grab the demo and test and we'll see how it goes at that point.

Will there be any blue or green drums? Haha, just joking around with you.

But on a serious note, I worry about the install size, considering I use relatively small SSD drives. Are there options for partial instals? For instance, if someone doesn't need pianos, but wants the drums. Any plans to allow users to pick and choose what to install? Or, is it possible to delete some content after installation?

TonyVegas wrote:Will there be any blue or green drums? Haha, just joking around with you.

But on a serious note, I worry about the install size, considering I use relatively small SSD drives. Are there options for partial instals? For instance, if someone doesn't need pianos, but wants the drums. Any plans to allow users to pick and choose what to install? Or, is it possible to delete some content after installation?
At this time, I've been installing instrument categories separately but that's no indication of how the final installer will work. You will still be able to use an external drive like many do with SampleTank 2.5 though I'm not sure how easy it would be to remove installed instruments.

Snares galore from SampleTank 3 today... This shot shows how you will also get drum parts like snares and others mapped chromatically across the keyboard. You can also see a SampleTank 3 exclusive effect applied - ConvoRoom (to answer a previous question, at this time the ConvoRoom effect does not load external IRs):

Me again ;)

-- are the drum kits GM standard mapping?
-- or a more comprehensive set of mappings? If so, what?
-- how can I see what kit pieces are mapped to which keys? (especially on, for example, that Snares Menu instrument)
-- can I modify a kit, say, replacing a kick or snare, and save it as a new instrument?
-- if not, then what is the best way to use different kit pieces from different kits?
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:Me again ;)

-- are the drum kits GM standard mapping?
-- or a more comprehensive set of mappings? If so, what?
-- how can I see what kit pieces are mapped to which keys? (especially on, for example, that Snares Menu instrument)
-- can I modify a kit, say, replacing a kick or snare, and save it as a new instrument?
-- if not, then what is the best way to use different kit pieces from different kits?
In the previous screenshot you'll see it is noted that the drum set is GM mapped. I will check to see if they have a way to document each key for the snares, but I'm told there will also be specific parts from specific named kits available on their own too (so you'd know that those snares were from the Alt Rock Kit or wherever by the name of the patch itself of course).

Yes, I saw that is said "GM percussion" so I wondered about the drum kit itself.

And, being picky, why would the Snare Menu instrument have a pic of a complete drum kit? Perhaps show the different snares available in the instrument?
Inspired by ...

Return to “Instruments”