Smith ULTD Drum Kits Mapped !

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Get the drum pack from here :
http://smithultd.com/drum-pack-volume-1/

Here is the link to the xt16wx performance patch and the Reaper project. If you are not using Reaper you can directly load the performance patch called Full Kit.xperf in your DAW running a multi out tx16wx :

http://stash.reaper.fm/19805/Smith%20TX16WX.zip

Very very small download and instant gratification (providing you have the sample set).

NOTE 1 : Only condition is that the original Sample Pack from Smith UTLD was unzipped on your hard drive and NOT modified in any shape or form (file names / hierarchy / folder names etc).

When you run the Reaper project or the Full Kit.xperf file for the first time, it will ONLY ask for the first sample, which when you locate correctly, it will automatically locate and populate all the other samples in the sampler.

NOTE 2 : TX16WX 2.3.1 is required.

NOTE 3 : GM Drum Map used as follows -

36 Bass Drum 1 - All Pitches
37 Rim / Rimshot- All Pitches
38 Snare Drum 1 - All Pitches
39 unused
40 unused
41 Tom 1
42 Closed Hi-hats
43 Tom 2
44 Foot / Pedal Hi-hats
45 Tom 3
46 Open Hi-hats
47 unused
48 unused
49 Crash Cymbal 1 - 17 inch crash
50 unused
51 Ride Cymbal 1 - 13 inch ride
52 unused
53 Ride Cymbal 2 - 20 inch ride
54 unused
55 unused
56 unused
57 Crash Cymbal 2 - 18 inch crash
58 unused
59 Ride Cymbal 3 - 24 inch ride

NOTE 4 : Mod Wheel (cc # 1) controls the different articulations (hit area/strike zone) -
For snares - cross sticks, center, edge
For rims - between rim and rimshot
For Hats / Cymbals - bow, bell, edge
For Toms - center, edge

Let me know if there are any issues.

Thanks to you and others who are mapping this set, and to SmithULTD for the samples.
Regards, Mike

Chart type manual showing how the kit is laid out :
http://stash.reaper.fm/19811/TX16WX%20- ... Manual.pdf

Will be updated as and when required.

FYI, was having the same issues as others at Reaper forums. The latest TX16Wx build seems to have fixed it as far as I can tell (having never used this sampler before).
Regards, Mike

I did not know this was picked up here, too. Glad people are using the samples, but I really gotta thank all the people building the mapped kits. They're putting in a lot of hard work.

First off let me say thank you to all the folks that spent time on this wonderful gift. I have spent several hrs with the TX16wx and these samples and both are truly quality works..

I have a question concerning using the mod wheel to change strike zones. Is there a way to have the mod wheel only affect one note and not the rest?

Thanks

Rcl wrote:First off let me say thank you to all the folks that spent time on this wonderful gift. I have spent several hrs with the TX16wx and these samples and both are truly quality works..

I have a question concerning using the mod wheel to change strike zones. Is there a way to have the mod wheel only affect one note and not the rest?

Thanks
I just answered it in the Reaper forum.

You could define different programs set to different MIDI channels, and club the drum components according to required cc behaviours.

OR

You could set up key switching for each group based on MIDI CC's as per your requirement. In such a case, you would'nt even need to use wave matrices (or you could use them for additional round/ random robins swicthing). Smith's samples dont have round robin variations, but you could easily divide the 16 velocity layers into 2 groups of 8.

thank you. i needed a good sampled acoustic kit. this will work well, and also serve as a nice skeleton when i want to switch out sounds.
i am vocal about my opinions of the performance and ethics of developers and software companies

Thanks muslimpunk

I tried using different midi channels today. It worked out pretty well. But I have run into some issues with midi in reaper

I am using a midi item on one track with simple beat for testing. I then use the send to send it to the tx16wx.

1 For some reason it won't transmit events on all channels but will on any individual

So I then create 5 sends to send data on different midi channels.....this works

2 now I can use the mod wheel on different midi channels but when I select the individual channel in reapers midi editor the events dissapear. The cc work but it would be nice to line it up with events you could see.

So working on that one now

This reminds me of trying to get three hardware synths and a drum machine to play nice with cakewalk......back in the day......somewhere there is a switch I don't know about....YET.

Well I figured out how to set cc on different channels with the midi editor in Reaper...dont use the drop down menu at the bottom right. Simply right click in the cc lane to select the channel you want.

However it seems no matter what channel I put the mod wheel cc it affects all groups.

I do have the program slots set to different midi channels.

I looked into the key switching method of triggering the different articulations, but frankly am still a lil baffeled at what I read in the manual. I dont have any experience with key swithching so it is probably my ignorance.

It seems the idea would be the same as cc messages but looking for notes instead. So that the group would play if, lets say ....as long as c1 was depressed.

I am continuing to look into that aspect. I hope to find more info on key switching so that maybe the parameters in the switch box make more sense to me.

Here are some more thoughts in light of my weekend research into this.
I have been experimenting and one of the best ways to go about what you asked is assign different MIDI cc to different wave matrices.

The latest pre-release has a few but crucial changes in this regard.

http://www.tx16wx.com/downloads/prereleases

1. Direct access to any and all MIDI cc’s as a mod. source, thus removing a complexity layer.
2. Each wave matrix can have a separate cc as a x-axis mod source.

Therefore you could directly assign for eg . hats matrix mod cc1, rides matrix midi cc2 etc etc in the respective matrices.

A good second option is that you use the matrices for round robin variation and use the group switching for switching between articulations. You can directly select the required MIDI cc in this case, and define the range of cc values that trigger for each individual group.

With these two methods you can control each kit element’s strike /articulation independently (without resorting to cc transmission on different channels).

In programming drums or a mix of programming/live control this should work best. For eg. megababy allows transmitting 4 cc’s with each pattern, and it pretty much works flawlessly here :)

For live playing (drum pads) for eg, you should go with one or two midi cc/ or keyswitch midi note assignments at most and will definitely need some kind of foot switch (or similar) to send these messages.

In such a case, since you will not be playing all cymbals and hats at the same time, the concern over individual kit piece articulations based on midi cc message will be a moot point.

I will think further on this.

I read your post muslimpunk where you discovered that wave matrix x axis were universal. That helped a lot as I thought it was something I was doing as well. I played around with the key switching and figured out which parameters I have to set in order to make that work.....so I am golden there. It seems that the new beta release solves the individual cc issue. And as a bonus I learned how to change channels in cC lanes in Reapers midi editor

I found that the oddity with reaper not transmitting the item events on all midi channels at once is some how item related. The item I was working with did not but yours and others did......another issue for another day.

Thanks for your time with this one

Cool u got it figured out. Btw in case you didnt im suleiman from the Reaper forum.

muslimpunk wrote:Cool u got it figured out. Btw in case you didnt im suleiman from the Reaper forum.
It took me a post or two but I thought it might be you.

I am really digging the TX16wx. Its real easy to see what your working on.

I am planning a multilayered trash kit and this will be a pleasure to work with.

Return to “CWITEC”